Fiddler closing?

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#0Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 2:24pm

When is Fiddler closing? It had the same attendance as BKLYN last week, and the Minskoff is a much bigger theatre to fill/maintain so I'm sure they are losing a lot of money. Wouldn't they close it already?

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#1re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 2:45pm

I expect it will be announcing a closing notice soon. The only reason it has lasted this long is the curiousity of seeing Harvey's take on the role, and that seems to have been subsiding lately.

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 2:51pm

Please, if you haven't seen this production, GO!!! Harvey is a revelation and the production itself is absolutley breathtaking.

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#3re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 2:57pm

Yes, I completely agree......Harvey is wonderful, and I applaud him for making this role his own (especially with all the laughs his casting in the revival brought on this board.....haha - told u so!!!). But I don't see there being much of an audience for this production much longer.

Go see Harvey while u can!!!

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

RentBoy86
#4re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 3:34pm

is the tour of this production still touring?

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#5re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 3:58pm

i believe so

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

gavrochegirl
#6re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 5:14pm

It's not on the touring list on the site...maybe they had a layoff. And I think it'll close in the near future.

What the puck?!

timote316
#7re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 6:07pm

There was no tour of this staging. There's pretty much always a Fiddler tour going on, but its the original staging (shameless self promotion: I reviewed the tour on my blog, I think its like the second post).

As for the original question, it'll probably close when Harvey departs. When that is, however, I'm not 100% sure.

#8re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 6:07pm

I heard that Harvey would be leaving in August.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#9re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 7:47pm

What? Was this announced.
I am really pissed, what is this piss on Harvey week?
Shoot.
Another great show bites the dust.
I loved him in it.
I really did.
He was a great Papa. But an even better Mamma in Hairspray.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#10re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 7:50pm

I'm surprised so many people liked his performance. I was trully appalled by Harvey's "papa". He doesn't know how to act in a drama. During all the dramatic songs, he felt the need to create comedic moments.
Example: "Do you love me". There is no reason why there should be laughter at all during this scene. Its a serious scene between a husband and wife contemplating the evolution of their marriage.
Also, he really can't sing. It just didn't work for me.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#11re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 7:58pm

Crappy concept with a great performance by Harvey.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#12re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:00pm

Harvey doesn't know how to act drama? Three words: Torch Song Trilogy.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#13re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:02pm

Harvey is giving one of the most dramatic, complex, and passionate performances on Broadway right now.

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#14re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:03pm

Harvey is one of the most talented actors, writers on this planet.
He is also a great host.
He might not sound like Brent Barrett but most don't.
He is a genius.
If anyone tells me that Q or Forbidden Broadway are closing I will lose it.
They closed:
Dessa Rose- My favorite musical this season.
Then La Cage and Fiddler?
I am very upset.
VERY. Updated On: 6/12/05 at 08:03 PM

broadwaybaby86
#15re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:06pm

Oh, i no. I luv harvey. I met him when he was in Hairspray

RYANWOODS Profile Photo
RYANWOODS
#16re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:07pm

the show hopes to stay put until at least Oct 2005.

The show must close however by Jan 06 for the complicated projects and sets for The Woman In White to open Spring 2006

camthom Profile Photo
camthom
#17re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:08pm

"Do you love me?" isn't comic??? Sure it's message is a serious one, but I remember as a child listening to the cast album with Golde blaring out "DO I WHAT?!?!" The sentiment of course is a sweet one, but the song is CLEARLY written as comic. The couple is indeed contemplating the evolution of their marriage, but the comedy comes from the fact that they've been married so long and never even thought about what "love" meant until their kids started questioning arranged marriages. That's funny. God...Can you imagine that song NOT performed comically?

And Harvey can't sing? Hold on...and Alfred Molina, Topol and Zero Mostel CAN? This is not a role written for Brian D'Arcy James or Stokes. it's a CHARACTER ROLE...these are not actors we want to buy a greatest hits CD from.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#18re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:11pm

"Harvey is giving one of the most dramatic, complex, and passionate performances on Broadway right now."

Amen!

MargoChanning
#19re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:12pm

""Do you love me". There is no reason why there should be laughter at all during this scene. Its a serious scene between a husband and wife contemplating the evolution of their marriage."

Really? According to whom? It's funny, but every Tevye (and Golde) I've ever seen got laughs in that scene, including Zero Mostel and Hershel Bernardi. It's a bitterweet scene that always gets laughs (until the last verse). That's how it was written and how it has ALWAYS been performed. If anything, Fierstein got FEWER laughs than other major Tevyes of the past.

And, to concur with MEF, if you don't think he's a terrific dramatic actor, then you didn't see his Tony-winning performance in "Torch Song Trilogy."

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 6/12/05 at 08:12 PM

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#20re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:13pm

re: Fiddler closing?
His **** doesn't smell.
re: Fiddler closing?

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#21re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:21pm

Thank you Margo! Once again beautifully put.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

58012dude Profile Photo
58012dude
#22re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:21pm

I'm sorry to say this but I also agree that Harvey is a real comedian but doesn't do so well with drama. I really did like Harvey as the "Papa" and the "Mama" in Hairspray.

I wish that Harvey would take over for Rue McClanahan as Madame Morrible after he leaves Fiddler. I think that that would be hilarious! Though, I'm not sure Harvey could be believable in the part. It's hard to picture him as a mean guy - I mean, woman - or... now i'm confused...

::sighs::

Well, it's disappointing to here Fiddler's ending. I think I might see it again quick.

Common Questions: Yes, my previous user name is idinamenzelfan500109 but that was on my other computer. No, I will never leave the boards. Yes, I do have very strong opinions. No, I am not a girl I am a boy. Everybody who gets annoyed with me, keep it to yourself.

#23re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 8:51pm

::Chuckles at the thought of Harvey as Morrible::

Even though 58012dude was so outrageously, downright, mean about Stephanie, Shoshana (when he was idinamenzelfan) I have to admit, I do agree with him about Harvey.

Does anyone know why the heck I'm agreeing with this creep?
Oops, I guess that was a little mean.

::Let's out a huge sigh::

I'm sorry 58012dude

442namffug Profile Photo
442namffug
#24re: Fiddler closing?
Posted: 6/12/05 at 10:12pm

What is "THE WOMAN IN WHITE"..is it a revival? Have people seen trial runs of it? I've honestly never heard of it.

Videos