The definition of a "flop"

tfelice
#0The definition of a "flop"
Posted: 6/14/05 at 6:33pm

Exactly what would define a show as being a flop. If a show lasts less that a year would that basically be the qualifier or is there something else?

Thanks for the input

shira467 Profile Photo
shira467
#1re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/14/05 at 6:38pm

A flop is technically anything that has a loss when it closes -- it seems almost EVERYTHING is a flop then, as few shows tend to recoup.

Deet: Shira, I Love You!

MargoChanning
#2re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/14/05 at 6:41pm

The official definition of a "flop" is any commercial production which fails to recoup its initial investment, regardless of how long it runs. Some limited engagements have been known to recoup within two or three months and are considered "hits" and some shows which ran three or four years are still technically considered "flops" because they never paid back their investors.

It is NOT in any way a judgment on the artistic merits of the show -- it is purely a financial assessment of how a show did at the box office. If it didn't turn a profit, then it's a "flop."

Mind you some of the greatest shows ever written have been flops -- most Sondheim shows, Porgy and Bess, the original Pal Joey et al. You can certainly be a respected, award-winning artistic success and still be a "flop" at the box office.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 6/14/05 at 06:41 PM

vbplayer Profile Photo
vbplayer
#3re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/14/05 at 6:43pm

Think of "Ishtar" in the theatre world.

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -- Author Unknown

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#4re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/14/05 at 6:51pm

Basically something that closes quickly & loses all or most (or more) of its investment

The original Follies , which ran for about a year, was considered a flop as it did not make its investment back ( which is what can be said of most Sondheim shows)

Poster Emeritus

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#5re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/14/05 at 6:54pm

Sad shame about Sondheim. Of all the wonderful shows in which he wrote both the music and lyrics only four were financial successes (A FUNNY THING HAPPEND ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM, COMPANY, A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC and INTO THE WOODS) and he doesn't have a single show to his credit that has run 1,000 performances. Not even WEST SIDE STORY, GYPSY, or DO I HEAR A WALTZ?, in which he just wrote the lyrics. Pity.

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!
Updated On: 6/14/05 at 06:54 PM

MargoChanning
#6re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/14/05 at 7:00pm

I think that Sondheim's track record is much more a reflection of the shortcomings of theatregoers than any deficiencies in his work. But, don't cry for him. He's a very wealthy man (with 8 Tonys and a Pulitzer) and his shows (including all of the flops) are produced thousands of times a year by professional, amateur, college and high school groups around the country and around the world.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

vbplayer Profile Photo
vbplayer
#7re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/14/05 at 7:25pm

Margo, I am in awe everytime you post.

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -- Author Unknown

bdwybelle
#8re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/14/05 at 7:35pm

Any show that has a poster on Joe Allen's walls is a flop.

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#9re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/14/05 at 7:41pm

Get a copy of Ken Mandlebaum's book Not Since Carrie. It has more information about what a flop is, what causes flops, and what the biggest flops in Broadway history are than any thread could cover. It's also a really great read.
Updated On: 6/14/05 at 07:41 PM

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#10re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/14/05 at 7:47pm

That book is a fantastic read, nmartin! It surprised me that some of the musicals he covered in that book actually got going, much less opened!

I am always surprised what is considered a flop and a hit. It's rather sad that a musical running for 3-4 years on Broadway can never expect to make any profit and be considered a flop.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

i*heart*fame
#11re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/14/05 at 7:58pm

Alan Eisenberg came to my school last year and he said that only about 10% of shows are hits, meaning only 10% recoup their investment.

"Don't thank your parents, if you were raised in a nurturing environment you wouldnt be in show business"--Conan O'Brien at the 2006 Emmy Awards

tfelice
#12re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/14/05 at 9:09pm

"Alan Eisenberg came to my school last year and he said that only about 10% of shows are hits, meaning only 10% recoup their investment."

If that be the case then someone seriously has to rework the business plan. Unless of course the 10% that do profit do so at such a level to offset the loss of the other 90%.

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#13re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/15/05 at 6:44am

Don't forget, that despite being the shortest-running Best Musical of all time, PASSION also made its investment back...

rockfenris2005
#14re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/15/05 at 6:52am

I always thought a FLOP was the dreadful stuff like:

Kelly
Dude
Via Galactica
Carrie the Musical
Legs Diamond
Metropolis
Baby
Capeman
Jeeves
Dance of the Vampires

etc etc. etc.'

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#15re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/15/05 at 8:00am

You think that Baby is dreadful?

It certainly wasn't a great success, but it's a great show with a wonderful score.

jasobres
#16re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/15/05 at 8:51am

Hmmm, lemme check my dictionary...

"Flop, see Good Vibrations"

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

cathyhyatt
#17re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/15/05 at 11:25am

I would NEVER say Dance of the Vampires was even close to 'DREADFUL'.

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

ItSucks2BAveQ Profile Photo
ItSucks2BAveQ
#18re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/15/05 at 11:27am

good vibrations

bad. bad. BAD. BADDDD!!! vibrations

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#19re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/15/05 at 11:31am

I loved Legs Daimond, Baby and Dance of the Vampires!

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#20re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/15/05 at 11:38am

Margo - I love how you added the disclaimer this time. You might want to try it in bold and all caps so there's no confusion. Hee.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#21re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/15/05 at 11:48am

THOU SHALT NOT

gymman Profile Photo
gymman
#22re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/15/05 at 1:21pm

Great definition of a "flop"--it has nothing to do with merit, but money. I love the point about the shortcomings of theatergoers. "Entertainment" need not always be of the LCD..."Mamma Mia" is fun, but hardly art. And that's NOT a put-down, because it doesn't want to be anything more than that. I struggle with this all the time with my students, trying to help them to understand how rich a more difficult work might be...Sondheim seems to me to combine both art and entertainment, as most of the great writers have. There is a depth and texture to the work which makes repeated viewings revelatory and worthwhile.

GhettoBway Profile Photo
GhettoBway
#23re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/26/05 at 6:29am

Was Lil Shop a flop?

I think had the cast from the FLA tryouts went to bway it would have lasted longer.
the cast they used sounded like high school students.

freeadmission Profile Photo
freeadmission
#24re: The definition of a 'flop'
Posted: 6/26/05 at 8:45am

I was actually gonna pose the same question today. LOL You beat me to it.

Videos