pixeltracker

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?

littlechap2 Profile Photo
littlechap2
#0YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/25/05 at 10:33pm

What actors do you guys think should take on the roles in the upcoming stage version of Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein?

My picks are: Matthew Broderick as the doctor, Roger Bart as Igor, Brad Garrett (from Everybody Loves Raymond, and soon to be making his Bway debut in The Odd Couple) as the monster, Cady Huffman as the lab assistant (Terry Garr's (sp?) part in the movie), Gary Beach as the inspector, and maybe Kristen Chenowith as the fiance. Can't really think of someone off the top of my head for the Cloris Leachman role, maybe Nathan Lane in drag. Just kidding. Or am I?

I know some of these casting ideas seem a little unimaginative, since a lot of them come from the Producers' cast, but I really think many of them would be the best choices. Besides, Mel Brooks always reused the same great people in his movies, I am sure he will do the same with his second Broadway outing. And Susan Stroman always brings her usual group from production to production.

I particularly think that Brad Garrett would be an interesting choice since he has close ties to the original monster (Peter Boyle) from working on Raymond.

"I sang it because I'm your friend."

PJ
#1re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/25/05 at 10:35pm

Haven't Matthew and Kristin both expressed interest in this project when it becomes a reality? I'm pretty sure I read in an interview that Cheno really wanted to do the show.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/25/05 at 10:36pm

As long as Cheno's in it, Im good. Cant wait for this show. Hopefully it'll be as much of a mastepiece as The Producers.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#3re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/25/05 at 10:39pm

the monster- raymond mcleod (wreck from the wonderful town revival)
the doctor- raul esparza
igor- norbert leo butz? (you need someone really funny)
the fiance- julia murney(sp?)
the assistant- cady huffman, or well any of the ullas
frau blucher- patti lupone, or carole shelley

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

timote316
#4re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/25/05 at 10:40pm

Kristin definately expressed an interest. I also remember reading that the role (I'm assuming the doctor) is Matthew's if he wants it.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#5re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/25/05 at 10:44pm

Kristin wants the role so badly! You can tell. She named her dog Maddie after Madeline Kahn so yeah...

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#6re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/25/05 at 10:53pm

John Lithgow/Matthew Broderick (i know theyre quite different)...Dr. Frederick Frankenstein
Brad Garett ....The Monster
Roger Bart ....Igor
Sherie Rene Scott....Elizabeth
Jan Maxwell....Frau Blücher
Christina Appelgate ....Inga
Will Ferrell ....Police Inspector Hans Wilhelm Friederich Kemp
I dunno.

Message Board Signature
Updated On: 6/27/05 at 10:53 PM

littlechap2
#7re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/25/05 at 11:07pm

Yeah, Butz would make a good Igor also, and I like the idea of Will Ferrell as the inspector.

Jon
#8re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/25/05 at 11:28pm

The perfect Eyegor is Jason Antoon, who was the bartender in CONTACT and has a small role in the PRODUCERS movie. Obviously Stroman likes his work. He's got those crazy eyes.

He also had a memorable role in the movie "A.I."

Norbert Butz or Roger Bart could play the title role.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#9re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/25/05 at 11:46pm

and remember it's pronounced "eye-gore"......Bart is too big....Butz could pull it off

As thios is my favorite movie of all time, they had better cast it right, or I will have the biggest hissy fit, this side of Chicago!

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

RentBoy86
#10re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 2:22am

Me! If i were an actor in NYC I would do anything to be in this production. It's going to be amazing, no doubt. I was taken a back by the Producers. I thought that it was def. overhyped until I saw it.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#11re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 8:44am

Anybody but Broderick - unless they make Victor a nerd, that seems to be the only role he plays well anymore.

jasobres
#12re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 10:20am

There *have* been talks about Matthew Broderick as Frederick Frankenstein, Kristin Chenoweth as Elizabeth, and Roger Bart as "Eye-gore" (Igor), but I think that that talk fell by the wayside for now.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

Liz_Bennet Profile Photo
Liz_Bennet
#13re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 12:38pm

Unless Madeline Kahn's old part (Elizabeth) is expanded significantly, I doubt Cheno would take it. She must have her eyes on Terri Garr's part, Inga, who has a lot more screen time in the movie. I think I would prefer Sherie Rene Scott over Cheno anyway, but I might get shot on this board for suggesting this.

"WHEN is the winter of our discontent?" "NOW is the winter of our discontent!" Visit My Blog

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#14re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 2:11pm

And a brief digression to pay tribute to Mr Gene Wilder- a comedy genius and fine soul.

Who else can say, "What knockers!" with such innocence and style?

DoogieB Profile Photo
DoogieB
#15re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 2:15pm

Actually Matthew, possibly.

Message Board Signature

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#16re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 2:40pm

If they put Chenoweth in Madeline Kahn's shoes, I will have lost all faith in humanity.

littlechap2
#17re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 2:49pm

Doogie, I agree completely. I think that Broderick is perfect for the role, even though some cannot manage to see this.

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#18re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 3:19pm

I think the Music Man proved that Mr. Broderick is not romantic lead material. Let him stick to nerd roles: Leo in thr Producers, Charlie in Foreigner (both played the same way I might add).

BWayBoy88
#19re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 3:33pm

Some people have really good ideas here. Here is my list

Monster- Harvey-I don't know if he would actually take a part that small, but he would be hilarious. Can't you just imagine him making those grunting noises, along with singing and dancing to "Putting on the Ritz"

Frankenstein- Matthew Broderick is the obvious choice of course after playing another Gene Wilder part in Producers, but I really like the idea of Raul. I can just see him playing the mad scientist.

Eyegor-I love Roger Bart and he would be so good in this part. I could also see Norbert. I think it's safe to say that whoever plays this part will have a good shot at winning best featured actor Tony

Elizabet-I don't think Kristin Chenoweth would be the best choice for this part. She would be funny, but she wouldn't be my first choice. I really like the idea of Julia Murney.

Inga-If you want to stick with the whole "lets bring everyone from Producers to this show" idea, then anyone who has played Ulla could easily play Inga. I think Kelli O'Hara has the perfect look for the role. I've only seen her in Piazza though, can she be really goofy? If she can, she would be so good. Sherie Renee would be good also. It depends on what type of voice they make Inga have. I can see Kelli singing "Role in ze hay", but if they make Inga into a belter, Sheri would be wonderful

Frau Blaucher-Patti would be PERFECT. I'm not a fan of hers, but I think this is one part she would be perfect for

Inspector-Will Ferrel would be hilarious. I can just see him doing the bits with the fake arm.

Oscar Jaffee Profile Photo
Oscar Jaffee
#20re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 5:20pm

I think Martin Short would be a wonderful Freddy.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#21re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 5:35pm

Personally, I woud rather see Bernadette Peters instead of Chenoweth in the Madeline Kan role. And please, no Broderick. Anyone but Lane or Broderick. There are thousands of other talented actors out there.

Martin Short is scary. I can't look at him. He freaks me out.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

littlechap2
#22re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 9:26pm

Yeah, Bernadette might be good as Elizabeth. But the fact that she is around 60 makes me think that her chances are not all that good. Martin Short scares me too. I like him in some things, but he was a horrific Leo Bloom (or should I say a horrific caricature of his spastic ridiculous self).

bwayfan1225
#23re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 9:51pm

I think Hunter Foster would be great in the title role... he said himself that he'd love to do it. And how about Christian Borle as Eyegor? He'd be perfect!
Updated On: 6/27/05 at 09:51 PM

BWayBoy88
#24re: YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Casting Thoughts?
Posted: 6/27/05 at 12:38am

Christian Borle would be PERFECT as Eyegor! How did I not think of that. He has the eyes already

Videos