brookyln closing reviews?

IveGottaBeME
#0brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 1:22am

can someome please post the sat night and sunday matinee reviews of brooklyn?!

IveGottaBeME
#2re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 1:48am

i love brooklyn

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#3re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 2:08am

so do i

Marlene Profile Photo
Marlene
#4re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 11:03am

Let there be a mezzanine seat left when I get there...argh...why did I agree to make brunch and not do rush? I'll write up a review if I get tickets!

IveGottaBeME
#5re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 1:42pm

please post review! :)

Marlene Profile Photo
Marlene
#6re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 6:36pm

Hrm...I'll probably attempt to post a review tomorrow.

Things that stuck out...
Ramona and Eden went all out holding out notes...Ramona went all out in Raven and her finale thing...a Eden in a couple of songs.

The curtain call was odd. I've have never honestly seen a curtain call like that. So everyone was cheering...and people came out through the gates, writers producers etc...they started taking pictures of the crowd. But the main cast like leaped off stage. They didn't say anything that I expected them to say. They bowed, said thank you, and leaped off the stage. I attempted to get an illegal picture cause well, everyone else was doing it. But in the end I didn't click down hard enough...and I didn't get a picture of Eden leaping through the air off stage. It was just such an odd curtain call. Lots of people were like trying to look off stage...we thought they would come out and do something. (atleast I did...they still had music playing) More later...and it'll be more coherent when I don't have a splitting headache. I officially <3 Karen though. And I think I pissed Eden off.

Silly me, I had no idea that there was no orchestra. I know the score is really simple, and not exactly orchestra worthy, but I thought there would be one.

I sad part was I was able to get rush tickets at 1pm. o_0...so I was in A8...front row...the seat next to the seat to the far right of the stage.

Updated On: 6/26/05 at 06:36 PM

mijofly19
#7re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 8:08pm

I was there too. It was the second time i saw it and i loved it both times. But those weren't writers and producers at the end, that was the band and the understudys. You could see them on the TVs in the back of the theatre.

Marlene Profile Photo
Marlene
#8re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 8:09pm

Oh okaaaaaay....hrm...maybe I should go make edits to my review.

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#9re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 10:39pm

I was there as well. Got tickets at 12pm. I thought it was great and the crowd was SO into it. I was in a box seat and during every upbeat song the audience was bobbing their heads. It was great. The little party was too.

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#10re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/26/05 at 10:54pm

They did it fast because they had to go to the party (which was AMAZING!)

SWTaffy Profile Photo
SWTaffy
#11re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/27/05 at 12:08am

great picture tiny!!

It's worth a shot/ :) www.freephotoiPods.com/?r=15009978

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#12re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/27/05 at 12:18am

Marlene: Why do you think you pissed Eden off?

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#13re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/27/05 at 12:33am

Thanks Taffy!
All the pics will be on the bklyn board tomorrow :)

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#14re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/27/05 at 1:23am

Heres my review...Keep in mind Its my first time seeing the show, I don't pretend to know much about theater and all opinons are just opinons re: brookyln closing reviews? And I some of the stuff i wrote about has I'm sure been rehashed a million times, but I wrote it for a different thread soo...

Ok heres my take on Brooklyn, I think part of its biggest problem is its penchant to struggle to contrive emotion, instead of producing the reaction naturally in the audience...Moreover, the Book and lyrics despite a few innovative/ poignant moments, are largely hilariously cliche...Remember "Our tears can water roses"

Having said that I didn't completely hate it because the part that Brooklyn gets absolutely right is the spectacle of it all. When the rock music is blasting and Lee Morgan is singing in his intense rockstar style or Eden Espinosa is blasting a high note it truly is a sight to behold. It was almost worth it just to hear Eden sing Once upon a time and Ramona Keller sing Raven live, I'll admit gave me a bit of a chill. The staging was truly consistenly interesting making use of fabric spray paint and multifunctional props of pieces of trash, and of course the famous trash costumes were interesting...It really is/was a talented cast if nothing else...

Last show stuff, I sat two rows behind John Mcdaniel ( the Producer/ Music supervisor) and Schoenfield (Composer, lyricist, book writer) came over and had a long conversation with him before the show started. Crowd was of course aware it was the last show and there was a standing ovation when everyone entered the stage, and I swear to god there was a standing ovation after almost every damn song. (It was fun to be in an audience that excited, but waiting for everyone to sit down so I could see got old.) After the song street singer someone in one of the front row threw up a big plastic blow up microphone on stage which Cleavant Derricks picked up and seemed extremely amused by waving it in the air. And of course during the last scene there was alot of hugging and tears. Nothing was said during curtain call but the orchestra and understudies all came out and joined the cast on stage...

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

HeyJayNYC Profile Photo
HeyJayNYC
#15re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/27/05 at 1:27am

I saw the show for the first time, at the last show. I was blown away. I haven't been that energized and amazed by a show and talent since I saw Jennifer Holliday in DREAMGIRLS the week after she won the Tony.
This show was Wonderful, and I am now convinced that the NY Critics and NY Theatre folk are just as bitchy and catty as the LA Film people. I thought NY was better than LA, but I am beginning to wonder. I heard so many negative things about the show, and so many bitchy comments, that I waited..but thankfully at least went today. I sat with many of the producers, and I told them all they did a great job bringing this show to us.
The costumes and the sets were AWESOME! And the talent was TOP NOTCH. The show was a FAIRY TALE!!! Just like PIPPIN, it was a group of players telling a story. The reviews made it seem like the fairy tale WAS the true story...and as I saw it, it was a group of street singers putting on a show to raise money.
Anyway, I loved it, and hope they do take it on tour. I think it will do better out of NY.
Kudos to ALL of the talent, behind the scenes and onstage.
AND especially to Mark and Barri, they dared to dream, and they made their dream come true.

vjRichie Profile Photo
vjRichie
#16re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/27/05 at 3:18am

Not flaming your post HeyJay, but awesome sets??? The only thng that was awesome about the set was the little (plastic) weed that "grows" in a crack at the front of the stage. The rest was just trash used in various ways.

I did like the use of trash for SOME of the costumes.

"I've had two years to grow claws, Mother, and they're Jungle Red!" Mary Haines - The Women

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#17re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/27/05 at 3:25am

I like the sets...and how they used the set to tell the story.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#18re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/27/05 at 3:29am

Brooklyn's costumes are (the best) and the most creative on Broadway.

Marlene Profile Photo
Marlene
#19re: brookyln closing reviews?
Posted: 6/27/05 at 10:20am

Why do you think you pissed Eden off?

Well I had the guy to my right take a picture for me, after Eden agreed...but then I realized after Eden's like off a few feet that the guy who took the picture for me didn't click down hard enough, so no picture. So I began shouting for Eden. But she seemed like a little pissed off that she had to come back and pose. And well I think I bordered hysterical girl screaming at times, so I think I irked her. Probably not piss her off, but like whatever.

Mmmm...I'll load my pictures...expect I came out really weird in my picture with Eden.

Tiny-Toon...were you at the after party? Where did they go? (Your signature...that's what Eden, Ramona, and Karen were wearing when they left.)

Videos