pixeltracker

First timer experience to Broadway...

First timer experience to Broadway...

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#0First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/27/05 at 11:25pm

I'm soon going to be in New York for the weekend. We're seeing Piazza July 2nd. No doubt. And I will HOPEFULLY be seeing DRS if the lotto works out...however, the family I'm going with (not mine, but rather a family that's close to ours) has a girl, she's 10, I believe, and this will be her first Broadway experience. I don't want to make it horrific, so DRS might be a no, since it's a bit raunchy. I haven't seen Piazza, or know much about it except it's..exceptional score, but I think it might bore her a bit...For July 1st, our first night in, I want to introduce her to something..exciting.

I was thinking either Bee, Mamma Mia, Beauty and the Beast, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...she's your typical tween, I guess. I thought that Wicked would be the perfect match, but I said we'd see the Chicago production. MUCH more accessible. A penny for your thoughts?

This is my signature.

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#1re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/27/05 at 11:26pm

Hairspray.

shlamdiddly Profile Photo
shlamdiddly
#2re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/27/05 at 11:28pm

Chicago is kinda raunchy too. I saw it when I was in 6th grade...11 years old...and as we were leaving the theater my stepmom wsaid she didn't expect it to be so sexual

You aren't feeling overwhelmed are you?

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#3re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/27/05 at 11:29pm

Ah, Hairspray..forgot to put that in there. Actually, I thought about it, but I wasn't sure...

This is my signature.

hellacoolmichael
#4re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/27/05 at 11:35pm

Definately wait for the Chicago Wicked. Piazza might be a little over her head, and BEE is a little annoying here and there.

I'd recomend Hairspray also.

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#5re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 12:25am

I haven't seen Chitty but I recommend Hairspray too. I saw it on Friday and thought it was simply excellent.

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

apdarcey
#6re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 12:28am

i would go for hairspray or bee... the latter would be good for both her and you (i assume you'd rather see bee than hairspray!)

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#7re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 12:28am

I'd definately say Hairspray for a 10 year old re: First timer experience to Broadway...

midtowngym Profile Photo
midtowngym
#8re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 12:33am

are you still a lesbian in training? i have some bar ideas. but you may not be old enough to drink...

'The Devil be hitting me!'--Whitney Houston

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#9re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 3:16am

I believe Hairspray and Chitty will thrill her ! The Lion King would also be a good idea if you can find tickets !

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#10re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 3:33am

Brooklyn :*(
Go see Sweet Charity or Chitty.
And im going to see Piazza July 2nd too!

Updated On: 6/28/05 at 03:33 AM

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#11re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 4:24am

Stay away from Bee..it's as equally raunchy as DRS, and children won't understand the humor.
Try Lion King...or All Shook Up if not HAirspray

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

Madame X2 Profile Photo
Madame X2
#12re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 4:39am

I really think you should go with Hairspray. It's colourful and fun.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#13re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 6:59am

If she's an intelligent and well-behaved ten year old, she should not be bored with Piazza. I saw everything that toured though our town when I was a child and loved it all - of course I had good parents who raised me to respect all forms of art and to be well behaved in the theatre!

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

exedore
#14re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 8:18am

Hairspray and Wicked would be my top on-Broadway choices for that demographic. Chitty may be too kiddie for her tastes (at that age they get uppity about seeing anything "family"), ditto for the Disney shows.

For Off-B'way, the performance art shows are always fun.

Liz_Bennet Profile Photo
Liz_Bennet
#15re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 8:33am

Another for Hairspray. It's terrific, and great for a 10 year old. I've won the lottery, but it might be tougher currently now that MJW is back.

"WHEN is the winter of our discontent?" "NOW is the winter of our discontent!" Visit My Blog

Kevo711 Profile Photo
Kevo711
#16re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 8:48am

Hairspray- I'm 14 and i loved it... i went with my 49 year old mom and she loved it... my friend went with her brother who was 7 and he liked it more than wicked (if you can believe that lol)... so it seems to me to be for all ages... Lion King would probably be a good one to go to also!

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#17re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 8:57am

See Chitty or Sweet Charity - saw them all, and these two are the best for that age group....

singingwendy Profile Photo
singingwendy
#18re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 9:15am

My 5th graders, who have had little to NO exposure to Broadway and theater, and who would rather listen to 50 Cent than Nathan Lane, went to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and came back completely thrilled! They absolutely loved it! So..don't write it off as "too childish". If these kids, who are 10 going on 25, could enjoy it then anyone could! (Now if only they hadn't gone on a day I had a concert at my other school, then I could have gone too!)

jjdude2000
#19re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 9:35am

I think hairspray would be a great choice!! it's fun, great to watch AND listen to...i know of people for which it was their first show and they loooooooved it.

Grace: I just gave a quarter to a homeless man. I think it was Johnny Depp.

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#20re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 1:08pm

Absolutely HAIRSPRAY! She'll adore it! (Don't see it before Piazza or she'll be awfully disappointed in the latter.)

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#21re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 1:16pm

How's row T? At the Neil Simon Theatre?

Or F in the Mezzanine?

This is my signature.

Kevo711 Profile Photo
Kevo711
#22re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 1:22pm

im pretty sure any seat is fine.. row R was good so id imagine row T also would be good... especially if you're in the center

Chip1012 Profile Photo
Chip1012
#23re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 1:37pm

*posted something in the wrong thread*

lol ... anyway
Updated On: 6/28/05 at 01:37 PM

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#24re: First timer experience to Broadway...
Posted: 6/28/05 at 1:37pm

Hahaha, Chip...wrong thread...>>;

Yeah, Row S to the left....

This is my signature.

Videos