Rosie Confirmed

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#0Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:04am

Has anybody ever given a thought to the fact that she and Sally Murphy (Tzietel) are roughly the same age?
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/08/theater/08rosi.html

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#1re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:11am

Oh dear... While I'm not necessarily a Rosie hater, there's certain roles she should not do, and this is one of them. However, she's going to sell tickets, at least from shock-value, and since Fiddler's closing, they're trying to make as much money possible.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 10:23am

And there's a publicity pic of her too, which means it's real.

Who knows...She was very good on those episodes of Queer as Folk, and Golde doesn't sing that much...

Mimi Imfurst
#3re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:46pm

im very excited about this. Rosie has been such a role model of mine for a long time. People critique and pick at her for what ever reasons, but the reality is she is a generous, compassionate woman with power.... (people generally don't like abrassive powerful women.. but if it were a man.....) She's done amazing work for children, broadway and the rights of GLBTQ parents, not to mention the crap load of 9/11 relief money she gave. Go Ro!

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

Di2
#4re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:55pm

True, Rosieis a wonderful woman (there is no denying that) but just because she fights for the rights of others and supports Broadway doesn't mean she should star in a Broadway musical.She can't even sing, for God's sakes.

Once again, Broadway sells out.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#5re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:56pm

Is Rosie really a box office draw anymore? I doubt the numbers will go up that much...

Mimi Imfurst
#6re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 1:00pm

I wouldnt call this selling out seeing as Rosie has been a long time part of the Broadway scene. We've already discussed over and over again how unimportant singing is in playing a role. First of all, she can sing. She may not the best singer in the world, but she can hold her own. This isnt the sound of music, or phantom... its fiddler. And its not like she has to sing far from the home I love. She gets what two songs? Both of which are duets/group numbers? I wouldn't really say that Golde's part is heavy on the singing.

Yes, Rosie is a name and yes, this will sell tickets, but without it the show may shutter even sooner leaving another Broadway theatre dark.

NYC's Most Retarded Drag Queen The Mimi Show: hosted by Mimi Imfurst features Broadway stars Tuesdays @ 10:30pm Weekly! June 13th: Hairspray's Michelle Dowdy, June 20th: Aida's Lori Ann Strunk, June 27th: Composer Katie Thompson No Cover- No Drink Minimum OW BAR: 221 E 58th Street (between 2nd and 3rd) www.owbar.com

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#7re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 1:06pm

As for selling tickets, she did save Suessical for the month she was in it. So yes, attendance should definitely go up.

After meeting Rosie closing night of Taboo, I will definitely be there to support her in Fiddler.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#8re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 1:16pm

Bad stunt casting. Sorry. Just don't care for her anymore.

Just give the world Love.

riv
#9re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 1:18pm

Maybe she and Harvey can do the same thing Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick will be doing in The Odd Couple revival. They can switch roles every week. Let's make the disgrace total.

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#10re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 1:20pm

I'm not sure Rosie is any more disgraceful then Harvey being in Fiddler.

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#11re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 1:42pm

I'm not saying that Rosie's a bad person. I know she's done a lot for the community and that she's a good person. I'm just saying Rosie O'Donnell is not right for Golde... but then again, Harvey Fierstein as Tevye is definitely NOT the right person for Tevye either.

Di2
#12re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 2:02pm

She is 100% wrong for this role. This type of stunt casting takes jobs away from the other Equity women that are truly deserving of a job in which they are appropriate for.

littlechap2 Profile Photo
littlechap2
#13re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 3:21pm

No, this type of stunt casting will keep a show open a little longer than it would if they were to cast another of those "other Equity women that are truly deserving of a job in which they are appropriate for" and that also have zero name recognition. I don't particularly care for Rosie either, but you cannot deny that her presence will conceivably keep Fiddler open until January (maybe longer), giving the full cast jobs until the New Year. I would rather see 30 or so actors employed for a few more months, than see one actress that is perfect for Golde get the part.

"I sang it because I'm your friend."

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#14re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 3:29pm

i love Rosie...i would even see Fiddler again just to see her...she is very funny, i think Rosie will make the show a little more fun.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#15re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 3:39pm

I heard she is really really really really mean. I wonder how she is going to be at the stagedoor.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#16re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 3:57pm

I don't mind Rosie but this is terrible stunt casting. If they keep putting celebs in to play Tevye and Golde, the show will last forever...even if the celebs who play the roles are totally not right for it.

#17re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 4:04pm

let's not all hang ROsie until its september,,and people can judge for themselves.
Let's all remember...that Rosie was first and foremost a comedian. a very very funny lady..and I'm sure she will fit in fine. Let's also remember her succesful, and funny roles in films. Let's also remember her broadway contributions from Grease to Taboo. And that she has a sense of humor while singing, a treat for the character Golde. And let's remember Taboo...that despite some fixings that it truly needed..and script changes it needed as well....wasn't at all THAT bad. Taboo..was publically scrutined when it didn't need to be, just cause the press enjoyed feasting on Rosie...it deserved to run far longer than more than half the junk that's been out there these past two years since Taboo closed.

let's all calm down and wait and see.......

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#18re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 4:31pm

emo_geek, when I met rosie she was one of the nicest people I have ever met. I stood talking with her a few minutes after Taboo with some friends and had a great time chattin with her. I have heard "rumors" that she is "very very....mean" but my experience with her was nothing but wonderful!

So before you judge please meet her! re: Rosie Confirmed

Gothampc
#19re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 4:39pm

Sound the death knell. Broadway has died.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#20re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 6:04pm

Many of my dad friends have worked with her and have confirmed that she is horrible. I MYSELF love her. I could not see how she could be as cruel as they say. I grew up watching her (sorta).

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Life is but a bowl
#21re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 6:05pm

lo

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#22re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 6:08pm

re: Rosie Confirmed

When did plaid patterns become popular in Anatevka?

"Gif me the cobra jool!"
Updated On: 8/8/05 at 06:08 PM

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#23re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 6:14pm

Around the same time that Harvey Fierstein began playing Tevye.

Harpo Profile Photo
Harpo
#24re: Rosie Confirmed
Posted: 8/8/05 at 6:40pm

magruder, you crack me up!

I had no interest in seeing 'Fiddler'...but I have bought a ticket. I like her and will support her, just as I do with any friend or a person I admire. Hope she is good in the role.

I agree with the person/people who said she may help keep it open longer and that it is better to have stunt casting if that means 30 actors will stay employed

Videos