pixeltracker

Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.

Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.

#0Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:06pm

The revival plays its last performance today - unfortunately. Thank you to Mr. Albee for the revisit of his iconic work. Thank you to the entire cast (especially the revelatory Mr. Irwin) for their dedication and fine, FINE work.

And thank you to the audiences - however sadly dwindling they might have been - for braving this legendary piece of American theatrical history.

BRAVO and BRAVA to all those involved!

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#1re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:10pm

Bravo
Brava
Amen
Hallelujah
Thank you!

I'm sad to see this brilliant production go!

Greennow
#2re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:11pm

I agree. I was fortunate to see this production in June and I was blown away. The acting was incredible. It is a shame that this is closing so early.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#3re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/4/05 at 2:24pm

I cannot praise this production enough.

My heart was pounding the entire time...couldn't have been done better. The cast was amazing and the production was flawless.

Thank you for keeping the class on Broadway.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#4re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/4/05 at 4:30pm

I find it very depressing that a well-received production of one of America's best plays failed financially because people went to go see crap like "Spamalot" and "Mama Mia" instead. This is exactly what's wrong with Broadway today!!!

GypsyRoseLee Profile Photo
GypsyRoseLee
#5re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/4/05 at 4:52pm

This truly was a wonderful production, and I'm thrilled I got the chance to see it. I'm so sad to see it go, It is definetly worth much more than it got.

"This is what I trained to do, and this is what I love about theater. What I love about being an actress is being able to really look into myself and understand another human being. And out my own self, to shape and form and fashion a real human being--and to present that in such a way that people see something of themselves or their own understanding in that human being." --Phylicia Rashad

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#6re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/4/05 at 4:57pm

"I find it very depressing that a well-received production of one of America's best plays failed financially because people went to go see crap like "Spamalot" and "Mama Mia" instead. This is exactly what's wrong with Broadway today!!! "

Well said, Baritone. I couldn't agree more

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

Theatreboy33 Profile Photo
Theatreboy33
#7re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/4/05 at 7:02pm

Bravo to all. Although i had my problems with this production, the mere fact that this wonderful show made it back to bway in this age of foolish nonsense musicals is a testament to its epic impact on all drama following it. Great work everybody.

PJ
#8re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/4/05 at 7:21pm

Just got back from the final performance not too long ago. This was my first time seeing the show. I've read the play twice before, but nothing compares to seeing it live. The entire cast was excellent.

Albee came out at curtain call as well as the standbys. There was no special curtain call speech, unfortunately.

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#9re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/4/05 at 7:23pm

thank you for this post. i was so pleasantltly surprised by the performance. it was truely great theater. i just wished it remained open longer.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#10re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/4/05 at 7:25pm

Gripping. Lacerating. Devestating. And funny as hell.

God, was this good.

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"

#11re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/4/05 at 8:56pm

"Albee came out at curtain call"

I would TRULY have loved to be there for that! I was pretty upset at the Tonys treatment of him this year, and would have loved the chance to yell and scream and holler for him.

Liz_Bennet Profile Photo
Liz_Bennet
#12re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/4/05 at 10:40pm

Great play. Great production. I loved it, so I knew it would close soon. My taste seems to be a curse.

"WHEN is the winter of our discontent?" "NOW is the winter of our discontent!" Visit My Blog

Kristie-K2 Profile Photo
Kristie-K2
#13re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/4/05 at 11:48pm

I am so grateful that this girl from Oregon got to see this wonderful production!

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#14re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/5/05 at 1:08am

With this and The Pillowman leaving us, I'm praying that something damn good hits the boards really soon. Both were brilliant productons.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#15re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/5/05 at 3:21am

(sigh). It should have won best revival.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

lvpblues
#16re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/5/05 at 3:35am

DGrant: If you thought his curtain call appearance was something else. He also came out via the stage door and signed autographs and posed for some pictures. I can now proudly say I have Edward Albee's autograph. It feels like quite an honor. I posted on the closing on ATC, but it was a wonderful experience. (He seemed to be in quite a good mood as there was a lot of love for him and his play today).

Now to find a frame for the playbill...

Teeny Todd Profile Photo
Teeny Todd
#17re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/5/05 at 4:08am

another giant has left us...

#18re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/5/05 at 7:48am

lvp - I must admit that screaming for him from a theatre seat would have paled in comparison to actually getting to shake his hand, look him in the eye and say 'thank you' - for a GREAT many things.

I'm hoping that the revival of SEASCAPE is given as much loving attention as this was, as it is one of my favorite plays.

MusicalDirector109
#19re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/5/05 at 9:43am

The show was absolutely wonderful and the acting superb. I saw the show twice and wanted, so badly, to be there yesterday afternoon. Was the show sold out?? What did Albee say in his speech? I will truly miss this production.

PJ
#20re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/5/05 at 1:50pm

No, the show wasn't completely sold out.

Teeny Todd Profile Photo
Teeny Todd
#21re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/5/05 at 1:51pm

that's a crime

#22re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/5/05 at 2:12pm

"the show wasn't completely sold out."

It is incomprehensible to me that, between whatever tourists that might have been brave enough and the NYC theatre community that should have been supportive, they couldn't sell out the final show. Disgraceful.

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#23re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/5/05 at 2:32pm

What makes me sad is the fact that even on this website there a so few postings about this closing...imagine the 500 posts they'll be when a peice of sh*t like Wicked closes ten years down the road and the teeny boppers are mourning...it makes me sad that a brilliant show like this couldn't make it and closes unoticed

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

Harpo Profile Photo
Harpo
#24re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/7/05 at 5:13pm

Lvpblues I AM PEA-GREEN WITH ENVY! I was also at the last performance. I had to rush to catch the train otherwise I would have tried to get his signature on my playbill. Ah, well, it was good to see him in person and cheer for him and the cast.

Videos