pixeltracker

Musicals and masculinity- Page 2

Musicals and masculinity

theatrebabe
#25re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 5:11pm

I agree with collen_lee. I flat out refuse to date a guy who doesn't like theatre.

And I think the British thing is totally adorable too.

"While some feel it is a film related question, I seem to think it may be a 'I am thinking of losing my winkie' sort of question."
-cheezedoodle

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#26re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 5:13pm

spiderdj82, she is definitely sexually harassing you, whether or not she's in a position of authority. Teasing and joking is the way it starts. Now, go exert your true "masculinity" and report her. She needs to stop it... right now.

My hat is off to all of you posting who celebrate the passions that you have, whether or not they fit into stereotypes. Some of my "likes" and "dislikes" fit into molds, and some don't. I don't let it bother me either way, because they all add up to what makes me an individual.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

London Boy Profile Photo
London Boy
#27re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 5:18pm

With regards to the 'fag' comment (besides the fact that in this fair land 'fag' means cigarette), can't you sue for discrimination on the grounds of sex? Here the employer is vicariously liable for the acitons of their employee and, although it may be different in the states, i imagine the general policy and framework is the same. If you need a good lawyer mate, i'm always here.

As for the Potter comment; i did go to an all boys' school, with houses, ties, blazers, and a game only we played called 'Puddox.' The antiquated British education system writ large, there. Thank you for the comment. I think i actively blushed.

As a final point, i had a bloke say to me "I could have figured your name. I know loads of gay blokes called Simon." Maybe i should change my name to Brad, or Bruce?

"the cottagers at Rotherhithe knew something of his name. From Hammersmith to Putney people shuddered at his name" - Growltiger's Last Stand

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#28re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 5:23pm

This should be the determination of sexuality:
Do you prefer to play with balls or play "I Had a Ball"?

haha -- sports lovers are gay. :)

And to whoever it was who asked about friends going to theater -- I'm straight, and I have friends who are straight, and we've gone to shows together. Doesn't mean we didn't get looks of people thinking we were together, but the important part is each of US know that There Is Nothing Like a Dame.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#29re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 5:33pm

Of course sports players and lovers are gay. Just tink of all teh fun watching the other guys in the showers! LOL!(Now watch all the straight guys will insist on showering at home after a workout!)

Oh and Londonboy, Brad and Bruce are not great choices to prove you are straight. Also avoid Scott, Kevin and Andrew. :)

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

ZONEACE
#30re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 5:49pm

London, I usually call it football, but since a vast majority of the people here are from the USA i used the american Term. Personally I LOVE EPL. I'm all about Liverpool.

As to the use of Prat, I love using british terms when i talk. I always say Prat and Ponce, ooh, and bugger, and ona rarer basis, but still used is bollocks.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

CastAlbumFan Profile Photo
CastAlbumFan
#31re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 5:55pm

I make it a priority to only go out with girls who like theatre. Otherwise, what's the point?

BTW, my favorite British term is "Get stuffed!", and I was not pleased when they replaced it in EVITA with something more American.

Praying Decca Broadway will put "Don't Bother Me, I Can't Cope" on CD!

London Boy Profile Photo
London Boy
#32re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 6:01pm

Haha - love the slang. Try using 'can't be bothered,' 'round-a-bout,' 'cheers,' and 'nicked' (as in, "i had my phone nicked on the bus")

As for the showers - i think it takes a bigger man to shower with his comrades than in the privacy of his own home.

BTW - Liverpool fans can get stuffed.

"the cottagers at Rotherhithe knew something of his name. From Hammersmith to Putney people shuddered at his name" - Growltiger's Last Stand

theatrebabe
#33re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 6:12pm

buggar,haha,buggar

"While some feel it is a film related question, I seem to think it may be a 'I am thinking of losing my winkie' sort of question."
-cheezedoodle

London Boy Profile Photo
London Boy
#34re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 6:54pm

Let's not forget the charm of America. As Noel Coward said: "i've been about a bit, but i must admit, that i didn't know the half of it,'till i hit the USA." Cracking country with some corking people. Love; Reese's peanut butter cups, PBJs, all the great TV from 'Family Guy' to 'Curb your Enthuseasm', the word 'sucka' and how 'sick' means good.

ZONEACE
#35re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 7:05pm

Liverpools fans can get stuffed huh?

And who do you like, Man U? you know who can get stuffed? Rooney, and scholles. Now those are a couple a prats.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#36re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 7:07pm

yup i fall into the "straight guy who likes musical theatre" category as well

London Boy Profile Photo
London Boy
#37re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 7:08pm

Man United? Give me a break, sunshine. I'm a London Boy - Charlton through and through. I'll give you 50quid if Peter Crouch scores more than 10 goals this season.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#38re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 9:00pm

I'm straight and into musical theatre. It bothered me at first that people stereotyped me, or when I told them my interest snickered, but now i dont give a ****. "Life's not worth a damn, til you can say hey world i am what i am!"

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird
Updated On: 9/5/05 at 09:00 PM

measureinlove16
#39re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 9:11pm

I stay up till 2 in the morning talking to my boyfriend/friends that are guys about one lyric in a Sondhiem play, or a melody from Gershwin. As far as im concerned, guys are way better when cultured.

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#40re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 9:37pm

You can see this in another way. The statics said that more than 60% of theatre people are women. And the rest, part of them are gay, part of them are the hudsbands or boyfriends bring into the theatre by women and you are the few left. If you minus the lesbian (I suppose only stand for a few), then you have a great chance to meet more women than any other place. Imagine those poor guys in Science&Technology Institute or Millitary School. You are lucky.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#41re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 9:44pm

Well, now that Londonboy and all the other straight guys here have "inned" themselves, I guess it's time for the out and proud gay members to welcome our straight brothers into the fold!

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Rentaholic2
#42re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 11:37pm

Since I've stumbled upon a concentration of straight male theatre-lovers, i will ask this...

have any of you ever thought of the amazing difference it makes in a man's life if he doesn't like sports? I mean, I know a lot of you do, but I don't really, and I know that is the case with a lot of male theatre lovers. I mean, for me, the role it plays in my life is enormous--the simple fact that i dont like sports seems to immediately cut out most guys from possibly becoming friends.
For me atleast, it makes it really hard to find a good group of 'guys' that i can be friends with and share interest...especially when most other major factors of my life lend me much more to the sporty kindof guys then to theatre people. I don't know, it is just really hard sometimes...all the time. I often feel like I simply can't find guy friends who i really relate to who don't thik i'm really weird and usually think im gay for loving theatre so so much. It just depresses me some...
Updated On: 9/5/05 at 11:37 PM

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#43re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/5/05 at 11:44pm

Rentaholic,

yeah...I know what you mean. My lack of interest in sports somewhat cuts off a lot of potential friendships because i just dont care what they have to say. Luckily the one sport I am into is hockey, which in Canada is all you really need.

Akiva

eslgr8 Profile Photo
eslgr8
#44re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 12:07am

London Boy, as a gay man, I was not pleased by the statement that your enjoyment of musicals cast doubts about your "masculinity." This is the kind of statement that straight people say without meaning to offend, yet offend they do. Your friends may have wondered if you were straight, but sexual orientation or nature should never be equated with one's masculinity: "relating or belonging to men and boys rather than women and girls."

itsmeeeee Profile Photo
itsmeeeee
#45re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 12:41am

masculinity is a stereoptype in and of itself.

that being said, i am a straight male too, but have yet to find a girl who goes nuts over the MT guys. but ill stay on the lookout. I struggle with the "you must be gay" thing too... but being in the minority has its perks. i can't sit here and pretend i don't absolutely love it when someone asks me "who the hell is idina menzel?"

BillyFan2 Profile Photo
BillyFan2
#46re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 3:17am

Hmm, stereotypes are boring. People can assume what they like about the fact I love theatre and particularly musicals. I also love sports.

If you love the British slang, go see Billy Elliot. Bugger, bloody, bollocks, wanker, they all get used.

All great things must come to pass. We know the first will soon be last and in the ground we may be lain , but a seed is sown to rise again.

London Boy Profile Photo
London Boy
#47re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 4:29am

"London Boy, as a gay man, I was not pleased by the statement that your enjoyment of musicals cast doubts about your "masculinity."

Excuse me - you're right. I should have known better than to cast stereotypes based on femeninity purely because of one's sexual orientation. Thank you for pointing out the mistake.

London Boy Profile Photo
London Boy
#48re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 4:31am

PS -as to the 'can't find any friends who aren't into sport...' I love sport, but still have plenty of friends who don't. I didn't realise that it was that much of a topic of conversation that it precluded a friendship if someone was not 'into sport.'

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#49re: Musicals and masculinity
Posted: 9/6/05 at 5:28am

"that being said, i am a straight male too, but have yet to find a girl who goes nuts over the MT guys. but ill stay on the lookout"

I'm with you there! Say you're on a date and you get talking about favourite films - while hers is something like Bridget Jones Diary (or, on one memorable occasion GI Jane), she'll give you a very odd look if you say The Sound of Music. Thanks to decades of it being used in comedy sketches, it's a stereotype that's very hard to shake (especially if you don't like sports as well!). I've yet to encounter a girl really into musicals and the like...

On the whole, I agree with London boy about the sport thing though - some of my friends are into it, some not, it doesn't really matter. In fact, it's the same with theatre - I've still only managed to convert some of them, but we can still find things to talk about other than theatre (or sport).

Videos