The Color Purple CD Sampler

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#0The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/22/05 at 10:12pm

Did anyone get it yet? apparently its out now? It has the 3 songs on the site plus an additional song i dont know of yet...
Updated On: 9/22/05 at 10:12 PM

Yankeefan007
#1re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/22/05 at 10:15pm

posted about it earlier today....

same songs

C is for Company
#2re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/22/05 at 10:21pm

what the hell is up with the first song? I thought it was crap but the second song, although the tune is repetitious sounded very nice and the third song was good; i am very anxious for this one.

bdwaygirl Profile Photo
bdwaygirl
#3re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/22/05 at 10:25pm

Got it today. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Looking at the CD, mine only has 3 songs listed on it. Is the 4th not listed? Maybe there's more than one version out there.

I hung out with Cheyenne Jackson in his dressing room waayyyyyy before he tickled D2.

"unleash the girly"

Our fingerprints don't fade from the lives we touch.

Puppies are babies in fur coats.

Tinfoil...The Terrorizing Terminator

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#4re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/22/05 at 11:22pm

There were only three songs on the one I got to today as well.
I also felt that "Push da Button" was the weak link on the sampler, the tone and overall feel of that song just did not strike me as right for the material.

"What about Love?" and "The Color Purple" were very nice, though and really sounded like they fit the material very well.

All in all, the sampler has made me more excited about seeing the show.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/22/05 at 11:24pm

I got one, but I haven't listened to it yet.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

C is for Company
#6re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/22/05 at 11:25pm

I also felt that "Push da Button" was the weak link on the sampler, the tone and overall feel of that song just did not strike me as right for the material.

Completely agree. I was like "what IS this?" didnt fit well and sort of hoping it just gets cut like now

actorgaedu Profile Photo
actorgaedu
#7re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 9:26am

I believe push da button was in the juke joint scene with Shugand company performing. I really liked those numbers in Atlanta and I hope they keep them in NY. Also, I hope that the new Shug can live up to the mesmorizing performance of Ms. Adrianne Lenox, wow what an actress/singer. Overall, the show has captured the heart and soul of the story and I really hope they keep that on broadway.

Theater anywhere, anytime and with anyone. It's my passion.

Love4Cheno Profile Photo
Love4Cheno
#8re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 9:37am

I got the sampler, and it makes me NOT want to see the show.

http://preppylife.tumblr.com/

LouieLovesTheater Profile Photo
LouieLovesTheater
#9re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:29am

Thanks for the input Cheno.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#10re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:31am

I didn't get it yet. I got "The Color Purple" off the site, though, and it sounds nice.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#11re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:32am

Not to totally threadjack, but are you guys getting these samplers from people handing them out on the street or are you on a mailing list?

If it's the latter, how do I get on said list?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#12re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:35am

i got mine in the mail. i think if you order tickets frequently from telecharge, ticketmaster or tdf, you have to write your address for them to mail you the tickets...so I think that automatically puts you on some kind of broadway mailing list.

tagiunagi
#13re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:37am

Will people be shoving them down our throats like the In My Life people have??? Cuz I'd like to pick up a copy of a sampler, but I don't order enough from ticketmaster.

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#14re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:39am

Hmmm, hopefully I'll get one then.

I've ordered several pairs of tickets from Telecharge recently.

Thanks!

dancingthrulife04
#15re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:46am

Does anyone know if they're handing them out anywhere? Because... I haven't ordered anything from Telecharge, like, EVER, but I want to get a sampler.

(And tagiunagi, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that thought. I somehow ended up with FOUR of those In My Life samplers.)

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

WithoutATrace
#16re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:50am

i don't know if anyone is handing out the color purple CD samplers...maybe ask at the box office? i'm sure they have extras.

i have three in my life samplers. some of the guys are hot, but they are all so annoying! at the flea market when they came up to me, i gave them all the same response: "i have tickets to the first preview." i already bought my tickets so i am obviously not one of the people they need to be marketing to...

dancingthrulife04
#17re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:56am

The last time I saw LENNON, they were standing outsdie the Broadhurst handing them out after the show. When I responded tot he guy that I had already received one (and after my grandmother had taken one), I was told "Take this so the other one doesn't get lonely" and found one shoved in my face. And then I was given another after that.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#18re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 10:58am

Push da Button is my favorite. I think it fits the character well.

Just give the world Love.

umgeoboy Profile Photo
umgeoboy
#19re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 11:05am

Well, not knowing the show at all the music has failed to capture my interest in the show. The first song on the demo was by far the worst of the three, and while I found the second and third song pretty they failed to draw me in...oh well. Guess i will have to see it and make up my mind then. For now that demo goes on the pile of unlistened to demos.

"Judy Garland, Jimmy Dean, You tragedy Queen" ~ Taboo

"Watching a frat boy realize just what he put his d!ck in...ex's getting std's...schadenfruede" ~ Ave Q

"when dangers near, exploit their fear" ~ Reefer Madness the Musical

MargoChanning
#20re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 11:10am

I thought "Push de Button" did a great job of evoking the atmosphere of the juke joint -- that's EXACTLY the kind of old school blues that would be played there. The second song I thought was a solid, well-sung duet, but I found the third bland, boring and predictable. I sort of tuned it out after a while and it faded into background music to me.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#21re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 11:11am

I prefer "Push de Button" from Jamaica.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

WithoutATrace
#22re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 11:54am

"I was told "Take this so the other one doesn't get lonely" and found one shoved in my face. And then I was given another after that."

Wow...being rude is not a good way to market a show. At least they are hot. I really hope no one paid full price for this...

Back to the topic at hand, I really enjoyed What About Love? at broadway on broadway and on the sampler CD. We'll see what happens to the show, now that Oprah's name is attached to it. I plan on seeing it probably once in previews and once after it opens.

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#23re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 12:46pm

it figures i didnt get one. i really wanted that one to...any thougths

MargoChanning
#24re: The Color Purple CD Sampler
Posted: 9/27/05 at 12:48pm

Me too, Magruder.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney