Need help picking a show!!

dylanjackson
#0Need help picking a show!!
Posted: 10/11/05 at 8:19am

I'm coming to nyc Nov. 7 and 8th. On monday I'm seeing POTO for the 7th time, because its amazing and I love Howard McGillin. I dont know what to see on Tuesday. Here are the choices.

DRS
Color Purple
Sweeney Todd

I've seen alot so these are three shows that I really want to see.

Thanks
Updated On: 10/11/05 at 08:19 AM

mikewood
#1re: Need help picking a show!!
Posted: 10/11/05 at 11:01am

Of the three....I would pick DRS, but that's just individual taste in musical styles.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

pab Profile Photo
pab
#2re: Need help picking a show!!
Posted: 10/11/05 at 11:04am

Sweeney Todd

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#3re: Need help picking a show!!
Posted: 10/11/05 at 1:04pm

DRS

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4re: Need help picking a show!!
Posted: 10/11/05 at 1:19pm

from the BWW FAQ...

Right now, The Light in the Piazza is a stealer for me. A) Everything's GREAT about it, the cast, costumes, lighting, scenery, music, lyrics, the like...and b) if you're a student (high school to grad school) you can get $20 tickets from LCT's Studentix.

http://www.lct.org/studentix/
However, it's a one-time opportunity (Studentix), literally.
A warning about Light, however. It's quite classical, and if you're more into rockish, poppy stuff, you might be better off seeing RENT. But you never know...just give it a try.

If you're looking for something comedic, try Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or Avenue Q. Both are extremely clever and witty, but they're sort of...raunchy. Not something you'd take your young 11-year-old daughter to. If you're a Monty Python fan, check out Spamalot, but like Wicked, it's very hard to land tickets. The 25th Annual Putnam Spelling Bee is also great for laughs and the family. Check out The Producers as well.

If you're normally a non-theatre goer, definitely consider both Disney musicals, The Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King. Both are great for children, as well. Or perhaps The Phantom of the Opera or Hairspray, both of which are highly-appealing shows to non-theatre goers. Or the current smash Wicked. Undoubtedly, you've heard of this one.

If you're into rockish things or maybe more "popular" music, try RENT. The late composer, Jonathan Larson, passed away before seeing his show in action, but obviously, it was a great success. Some issues that are discussed in the plot may be iffy (another show you don't want to take your 11-year-old daughter to) but nothing that you don't see on MTV nowadays. Also check out All Shook Up, whose music revolves around Elvis and Mamma Mia! whose music comes from ABBA. Movin' Out has its songs based off of Billy Joel. The recent Lennon has been getting mixed reviews, but it might be worth the visit.

For children, I would recommend the aformentioned Disney musicals, maybe Wicked (for that 11-year-old daughter that keeps popping up), Sweet Charity, and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Hairspray may also be a winner.

If you want something dramatic, definitely consider the straight plays, and perhaps a touch of Chicago? As for plays, Doubt, The Pillowman, and Who's...Virginia Woolf? are all good choices. However, Neil Simon's The Odd Couple will soon be out in theatres, so you might want to postpone that last flight out.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5re: Need help picking a show!!
Posted: 10/11/05 at 1:22pm

Aigoo should update that.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

peach
#6re: Need help picking a show!!
Posted: 10/11/05 at 1:26pm

Of the three, I'd probably go with DRS, but that' just my taste (I like funny stuff).

Sweeney Todd looks very cool.

The Color Purple - this would be my third choice, although I just listened to the sampler and the music is fab.

The order I'd take 'em would be:
DRS
Sweeney Todd
The Color Purple

BUT - that's just my taste!

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#7re: Need help picking a show!!
Posted: 10/11/05 at 2:59pm

Sweeney.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#8re: Need help picking a show!!
Posted: 10/11/05 at 3:09pm

Considering that you like POTO, I would say go for Sweeney -they're more in the same range of taste.

(I'm also saying this because I HATE DRS, HA)

PLUS: this is a very unusual production of Sweeney, so it's not likely you'll see something like it in the near future...

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????
Updated On: 10/11/05 at 03:09 PM

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#9re: Need help picking a show!!
Posted: 10/11/05 at 3:29pm

DRS no question.

LorelaiGilmore Profile Photo
LorelaiGilmore
#10re: Need help picking a show!!
Posted: 10/11/05 at 3:32pm

i'd say DRS, but it really depends on what you like

oy with the poodles already!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#11re: Need help picking a show!!
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:29pm

I would try Color Purple. DRS was a major letdown for me. Sweeney would be a good choice only if you are already familiar with the show and not expecting tradition staging or storytelling.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#12re: Need help picking a show!!
Posted: 10/11/05 at 4:32pm

DRS! THe cast is phenomenal. I laughed soooo hard!

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

hak Profile Photo
hak
#13re: Need help picking a show!!
Posted: 10/11/05 at 7:28pm

THE show to see this season...... SWEENEY TODD

Videos