News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in

The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in

Luckydave14
#0The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/28/05 at 9:22pm

Over the 3-day weekend it made... $10,016,021 at #5
Over the 5-day weekend it made... $17,138,943 at #4

3-day- http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2005&wknd=47&p=.htm

5-day- http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/thanksgiving/2005.htm

#1re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:00pm

don't tell me yours mine and ours beat it. that might actually kill me.

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#2re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:01pm

wow yours mine and ours beat it? thats just sad.

greeneyed_one Profile Photo
greeneyed_one
#3re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:03pm

I'm guessings "Yours" had a big leap in sales b/c it was a holiday. I'm hoping RENT will have more staying power (crosses fingers)

colleen_lee
#4re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:04pm

That's not surprising. First of all, "Yours, Mine and Ours" was a very safe option for the multigenerational movie going families on this Thanksgiving weekend, and also it was playing on 800 more screens than RENT.

On the bright side, RENT did finish ahead of "Chicken Little"

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
Updated On: 11/28/05 at 10:04 PM

my2cents
#5re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:05pm

Wow a family comedy beat a musical film about AIDS on thanksgiving weekend in a time where George Bush is re elected and musical movies are considered passe?!! How can that be??

are you all kidding me?

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#6re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:11pm

The article mentioned that it didn't pitch it's advertsing to those not familiar with the story... WRONG ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Weren't they advertising it on MTV a lot?

Well, this coming weekend, teenagers will have more say on what they see, not with family, and a lot want to see RENT. So their should be a jump in grosses this weekend.

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#7re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:17pm

"The article mentioned that it didn't pitch it's advertsing to those not familiar with the story... WRONG ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Weren't they advertising it on MTV a lot?"

Yeah, but you had no idea what the movie was about from the previews -they didn't even try to tell people what the movie was actually about. The trailers didn't give any sense of what the plot was.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

my2cents
#8re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:27pm

Still had a better opening then phantom and chicago. Why no one bothers to see that I dont know. ANd dont give me movies are all that more expensive then when chicago opened wide in 2002.

Piazzaslight Profile Photo
Piazzaslight
#9re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:48pm

Pinguin: OOOOHHH, thanks for enlightening me.

my2cents: True, the film did have a better opening than Phantom, but RENT had better advertising. Phantom failed because:

1. It had a limited audience. It could've advertised to teens, but they ignored them and aimed more towards the older crowd.

2. The advertising wasn't that good. They pretty much kept it in the black for the time it was in theatres.

3. This has nothing to do with the above, but... Phantom needed a better Phantom.

As for Chicago, it was just a good film. I know lots of kids who don't usually go to the theatre, and they like Chicago. Also, the awards definitly had something to do with it.

We can only hope that RENT will be a hit in the movies. By the numbers, it looks like they're doing adequettly. Only time will tell.

MARGARET: "Clara, stop that. That's illegal." - The Light in the Piazza

"I'm not in Bambi and I'm not blonde!" - Idina Menzel

RentBoy86
#10re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/28/05 at 10:53pm

RENTs a tough sale anyways. The thing that bugs me is that no one knows its a musical. They just think that the "5,000 blah blah" song is the big "song" in the movie. Like the song that plays at the end credits. And then today I saw the Producers trailer on TV and there's no way you'd know its a musical if you didn't already know. I hate that. I remember going to see Phantom w/my family and my brother turned to me and said "this is a musical?" I mean, they need to advertise it as a musical.

DancNdaMoonlite Profile Photo
DancNdaMoonlite
#11re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/29/05 at 12:10am

I might cry.

If it had Chicken Little in front of it too, I actually might have.

OasisBroadway
#12re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/29/05 at 8:36am

"And then today I saw the Producers trailer on TV and there's no way you'd know its a musical if you didn't already know."

Yeah, I noticed that as well. It really just looks like a remake of the original movie, and that will draw a lot of people into it.

Fosse76
#13re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/29/05 at 10:57am

"And then today I saw the Producers trailer on TV and there's no way you'd know its a musical if you didn't already know."

I guess the scenes with Gary Beach singing in Springtime for Hitler, Will Ferrel singing...well, the German song, and Uma Thurman belting When you Got It, Flaunt it, don't clue you in?

Cugirl Profile Photo
Cugirl
#14re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/29/05 at 11:14am

It's weird that you guys say that there was a lot of advertising for Rent. I've only seen short TV ads of Rent twice, and I watch quite a lot of TV. Maybe it's because I'm in Canada or something....I don't know. The only way I knew about Rent was through Yahoo!Movies and they did a lot of advertising for that.

"Das Gegenteil von Krieg ist nicht Frieden...sondern Schöpfung!" - German Mark Cohen

SamIAm Profile Photo
SamIAm
#15re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/29/05 at 11:23am

I don't know what all the fuss is about for Rent's box office. I think it is respectable given the subject matter and the genre. This film will NOT appeal to everyone across the U.S. It is a film about city kids, AIDS, homosexuality, New York lifestyle, etc and that isn't something everyone will find interesting.

It is unlikely that these same folks will go see The Producers either. To expect that everyone (no matter the race, creed, color, ethnicity, background, age, religion, etc.) will embrace this film just because you like it, is naive. I think it is doing well at the box office all things considered and if you can't understand why 'Yours, Mine and Ours' would do better over a holiday weekend with families taking their kids to the theater...then there's no point in my trying to explain it.

If you have appropriate expectations of this film, you'll be happy with the outcome, as I'm sure Columbus is. I saw a lot of ads in the NY metro area for this film. At least two TV spots per day (and I don't watch that much TV)...so it's isn't for lack of promotion.

"Life is a lesson in humility"

Fan2
popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#17re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/29/05 at 1:30pm

I guess the scenes with Gary Beach singing in Springtime for Hitler, Will Ferrel singing...well, the German song, and Uma Thurman belting When you Got It, Flaunt it, don't clue you in?

Springtime For Hitler and Haben Sie Gehört...are presented in the trailer (and the show I think) diegetically, so that doesn't necessarily make it a MUSICAL as much as it's a movie about a musical. And the only bit of Ulla I remeber in the trailer is when she says (and not sings) "now Ulla dance" and "now Ulla dance again". Not obviously a musical number.

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

DancNdaMoonlite Profile Photo
DancNdaMoonlite
#18re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/29/05 at 1:33pm

I'm still kinda sad, but I agree with SamIAm.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#19re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/29/05 at 2:04pm

The Producers is being sold as a Mel Brooks comedy. It should do well. And it is also a much, much. much. better movie than Rent. Rent will probably drop to number 7 or 8 this weekend.. but I think it will hang on through the Holidays and do respectable or ok buisness.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 11/29/05 at 02:04 PM

Whiteboy Spice
#20re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/29/05 at 2:08pm

From The Hollywood Reporter:

"...the Chris Columbus-helmed musical scored well in exits, receiving a 93% favorable nod from moviegoers. The audience was largely female (73%), with the audience evenly split either side of 25 years. Fans of or those familiar with the Broadway play made up roughly 60% of viewers for the PG-13-rated film."

Thought these figures were interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 93% favorable nod is *very* high, no? Maybe we're not so dead in the water as it may appear.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#21re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/29/05 at 2:10pm

That is good. It should do ok and hang in there.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#22re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/29/05 at 2:11pm

I think Producers will do better because of the star power attached to it. People outside of the theater community know Matthew and Nathan, plus add Uma and Will.

Also I think Yours Mine and Ours did better because its a family movie and playing on almost 1000 more screens than Rent.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

Fan2
#23re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/29/05 at 2:30pm

Analysis from boxoffice mojo.com:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=1950&p=.htm

>Rent raised hopes after a solid $4.8 million opening day, but demand turned out to be frontloaded—the average Thanksgiving release makes around 30 percent of its five-day gross on Wednesday and Thursday, but for Rent it was 42 percent. Distributor Sony's exit polling indicated that 58 percent of the audience was female and 51 percent was over 25 years old.

Recent major musicals—Moulin Rouge!, Chicago, Evita and The Phantom of the Opera—all started with limited release patterns to build buzz. Rent relied on its rabid fan base for a successful national launch out of the gate, but Sony's marketing didn't pitch the movie to those unfamiliar with the show. The songs were the selling point in the ads, but no story accompanied them—merely images of people hanging out. Rent will need powerful word-of-mouth and repeat business to reach the attendance level of last year's Phantom of the Opera.

xoxRogue Profile Photo
xoxRogue
#24re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in
Posted: 11/29/05 at 2:30pm

That is very high, at least I think it is.

I think Producers will do better because of the star power attached to it. People outside of the theater community know Matthew and Nathan, plus add Uma and Will.

Everytime I look at Matthew I see Simba, and everytime I look at Nathan I see Timon. That's how I know them. re: The Actual Box-Office Totals for RENT are in

Shari Lewis: Did you ever wish upon a star? Lamb Chop: I once asked Mr. Rogers for his autograph.

Videos