"Phantom" DVD question

Oscar Jaffee Profile Photo
Oscar Jaffee
#0"Phantom" DVD question
Posted: 12/9/05 at 10:56am

I'm thinking about buying the two-disc special edition of the "Phantom of the Opera," not for the movie itself but because I understand it has a special feature about the Broadway production. For those of you who have it, is it worth buying just for that special feature? Although I'm not a "Phantom" fanatic, I like documentaries about behind the scenes at a Broadway show.

timote316
#1re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/9/05 at 11:14am

It focuses on the London production.

I haven't seen the whole feature, but it was interesting from what I saw. It talks about how the show came to be, from the very beginning. If you can find it cheap, I recommend it.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/9/05 at 11:15am

It's comprehensive featurette on the genesis of Phantom, not so much a documentary about the stage show.

But it's very well done.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Oscar Jaffee Profile Photo
Oscar Jaffee
#3re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/9/05 at 11:16am

Thanks timote316!

#4re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/9/05 at 11:21am

It is well worth having.

There is also a specail unannounced little behind-the-scenes feature on the tail end. But it might be on the single disc DVD, too. Still, the 2-DVD set is special.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#5re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/9/05 at 12:33pm

It's a great feature, the disc is worth it just for that. I think it's about an hour or so (maybe more, I only watched it once.)They show several clips of the current London production (well, currect as of when the DVD was produced) so you get to see the wonderful John Owen-Jones perform a little.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

Sally Profile Photo
Sally
#6re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/9/05 at 12:57pm

I bought the two disk version for the "Behind the Mask" section. I've spent more money for less and am glad I got the DVDs.

WindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
#7re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/9/05 at 1:20pm

I suggest going to amazon.com to find a used copy.

ashley0139
#8re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/9/05 at 1:24pm

It's a great feature! I definetly recommend it. There is a behind the mask feature, plus some behind the scenes stuff about the movie. Really interesting!

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#9re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/9/05 at 1:33pm

The features are fantastic and about 600% more entertaining than the movie.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ChristineDaae Profile Photo
ChristineDaae
#10re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/10/05 at 9:37pm

I love the double disc DVD set...I love all the behind the scenes stuff!!

"Life will be frozen peaches and cream. Baby, dream Your Dream" ~ SC

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#11re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/10/05 at 9:41pm

Was anyone able to access the DVD-rom features of the phantom DVD?

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#12re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/10/05 at 9:43pm

that feature is great....too bad the movie sucked so hard.

rockfenris2005
#13re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/10/05 at 9:50pm

That's just the kind of immature, irrational comment that makes me hate this board. Why do you think it sucks? What is your motive to say that? Explain yourself

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#14re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/10/05 at 10:13pm

I'll glady explain myself, rockfenris. I have no "motive" for thinking the film was bad. As a fan of film and a fan of musicals, I think it was a poor film and a poor adaptation. I have no ulterior motives.

Emmy Rossum and Patrick Wilson gave extrordinarily wooden performances. Ms. Rossum more or less had one expression during 95% of the film--that "Woe is me, what's a girl to do?" look. Mr. Wilson looked completely bored during all of his scenes, altho the role was beautfully sung (I'm a huge PW fan, by the way).

Gerard Butler could not sing the score. Painful on the ears. I'll admit he was marginally good in other aspects, but not enough to make up for the singing.

While it is a serious piece, more or less, the little (and much needed) humor that is in the play was gone, particularly in the "Notes" and "Prima Donna" scenes. Praise God for Minnie Driver (under- and misused though she was) trying to inject a little humor and energy into the proceedings....

Speaking of energy...

...there was none. The whole film was flat. For example, when I see the play or listen to the cast recording, 'All I Ask of You" makes me want to fall in love. 'Masquerade' makes me want to stand and cheer. In the film, I was checking my watch during 'All I Ask...' and falling asleep during 'Masquerade.' Literally.

I feel that, with few exceptions, the film was visually uninteresting and poorly shot.

To be fair, I've not seen the movie since it was released in theaters and therefore my comments are not as comprehensive as if I had wathed the movie more recently. I'd be happy to do so, if you'd like, and give you a more fleshed out review.

This is just one man's opinion, of course, and my opinion is that yes, the film was terrible. Perhaps I should say shame on Rob Marshall for doing such fantastic work and setting the bar so high for future movie musicals with the work he did on Chicago.

If you'd like further discussion, I invite you to PM me.

guitargeek0624 Profile Photo
guitargeek0624
#15re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/10/05 at 10:55pm

The features on the Phantom DVD set are really great. Especially when they take you behind the scenes of filming the film...quite interesting to see how they shot the chandelier falling. I think I've seen the featurettes a few times, actually. re: 'Phantom' DVD question

"A little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing." - Thomas Jefferson

rockfenris2005
#16re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/11/05 at 12:22am

If you had of just said that in the first place, everything would be fine. I'm sorry re: 'Phantom' DVD question

It's just that I see too many posts around here where people say i.e. "that show sucks" and fail to explain why they think so. But I'm glad that you did re: 'Phantom' DVD question

RF.

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#17re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/11/05 at 1:09am

This movie is old hat. I think people are just tired of explaining themselves.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

theatahguy Profile Photo
theatahguy
#18re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/11/05 at 2:23am

indeed.

rockfenris2005
#19re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/11/05 at 8:41am

The Michael Crawford Campaign (website) is some of the best reading I've had in months. Go and check it out. Imagine if he had of been in this film

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#20re: 'Phantom' DVD question
Posted: 12/11/05 at 10:56am

I'd rather not!

Seriously though - I enjoyed the Phantom movie. I for one thought that the Phantom being younger, and even perhaps a contemporary of Raoul, competing for Christine's love made it even more compelling than the stage. I realize this is a major departure from the show's story, but I enjoyed it.

I also didn't think Butler had an awful voice. I thought it was just so vastly different from Michael Crawford (who fans have been listening to for close to 20 years) it was going to be hard for anyone else to play "The Phantom."

Michael Crawford was great in originating the role, but I couldn't imagine him doing the movie.

As for Patrick Wilson and Emmy Rossum, I loved them in their roles as well.

I do think a little more editing (particularly towards the end) could have made it more of a crowd favorite, but considering some of the comments I've read about The Phantom over the last year, I doubt there would have ever been a version everyone would have liked.(and by everyone, I mean fans of the show - those who hated the show would never have liked the movie)

Jim