pixeltracker

RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!- Page 2

RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!

Luckydave14
#25re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:26pm

I think the artwork would be nice if it is like an all black background and then says Rent at the top and at the bottom has the first image you see in the movie, with the 8 lights going up on the cast.

Dramatic_Irony
#26re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:29pm

Yes, Luckydave, I think that would be a very good idea for a cover. I didn't want the dvd to have the same cover as the movie posters and soundtrack, but I definitely don't like this one. I don't like the colors, the pictures of the actors that they used, and the way everybody is all sectioned off. I hate it when they do that. Even if all eight of them are coupled off in the movie (which, obviously, they're not) I hate it when they do that for ads/posters/dvd covers.

Grief does not expire like a candle or the beacon on a lighthouse. It simply changes temperature. -Nocturne

Luckydave14
#27re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:30pm

Ashley - I think that you mean Anthony and Taye...

Kringas - I don't think more people are going to be buying the DVD because Rosario and Taye are on the spine. If they like Rosario and Taye and are going to buy a DVD just because their favorite actor is on the spine, I think that is absurd. I can understand if they get more publicity to sell the DVD in Ads, promos, and TV spots (if any), but how does having their picture on the spine help publicity? It really isn't fair to the other cast members.

xoxRogue Profile Photo
xoxRogue
#28re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:31pm

I think the artwork would be nice if it is like an all black background and then says Rent at the top and at the bottom has the first image you see in the movie, with the 8 lights going up on the cast.

I like that idea alot. :)

Shari Lewis: Did you ever wish upon a star? Lamb Chop: I once asked Mr. Rogers for his autograph.

kates422
#29re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:32pm

Aww! I really like the artwork...

it would look really awesome with all black for the background, though.

Kringas
#30re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:35pm

Kringas - I don't think more people are going to be buying the DVD because Rosario and Taye are on the spine. If they like Rosario and Taye and are going to buy a DVD just because their favorite actor is on the spine, I think that is absurd. I can understand if they get more publicity to sell the DVD in Ads, promos, and TV spots (if any), but how does having their picture on the spine help publicity? It really isn't fair to the other cast members

I don't think many people who haven't already seen it are going to be buying the dvd period, but that's just me. It doesn't matter what seems fair and what doesn't. It's the way it goes with publicity. If Idina becomes a huge Hollywood star someday, then when the dvd is rereleased, she'll be the focus of the publicity.

And frankly, it's a tiny picture on the spine of a dvd. I doubt any of them really protest the "unfairness" of it.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#31re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:38pm

That absolutely has to be one of THE WORST DVD covers I have EVER seen.

Extremely amateurish. Makes the whole film look like a cheap low budget release. Did Sony hire a 5 year old with an endless supply of Crayola crayons to design this? I know that what's important is what's on the discs but they could have at least made that cover more pleasing to the eye.
Updated On: 1/9/06 at 05:38 PM

ashley0139
#32re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:41pm

Yeah, totally meant Anthony. Sorry.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#33re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:43pm

re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!

terrible artwork.

the only artwork surrounding the film i have liked is the cover of the highlights cds.

Parks
#34re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:44pm

I kinda like it.

Also you guys, that's the 2 DVD set--usually single DVD and 2 DVD cases for movies are diferent. I'm sure there will be another cover on the outside of it (probably the main RENT poster outside of movie theaters).

That's just my guess though.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

Allie
#35re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:45pm

I agree that it looks like a low-budget comedy film. I'm not impressed.

katygrace84 Profile Photo
katygrace84
#36re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:49pm

As someone who has worked in sales/marketing as well as video rentailing, I can tell you that the cover art is wonderful from an advertising standpoint. The bright, bold colors will ensure that it sticks out on shelves that are packed with other titles. This will be one that people will notice. The color selection also makes it a good choice for other types of advertising such as signs, posters, flyers, etc. that may be produced by retail stores and rental chains. These companies often get to pick and choose which titles to feature on these materials. And it is often the brighter titles that get the best placement. People are already very familiar with the soundtrack artwork, making it a less than stellar choice for the DVD art. Poeple will look twice at this because the art is not something they have seen associated with this project before. As beautiful and fitting as the art suggested here earlier would have been, it would not have been a wise move from a marketing standpoint. It would not have gotten used on bigger promotional materials done by retailers and would have gotten lost on the shelves.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#37re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:51pm

Yeah, maybe people will notice it and go "Ick, I don't want to see that."

I agree with kyle.

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#38re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:55pm

as someone who does not like the DVD cover, lets take a moment to be greatful it doesnt look like the new poster for the broadway show.

ashley0139
#39re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:56pm

*is thankful*

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#40re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:57pm

while i agree with all the points katygrace made, i still don't think they made an ATTRACTIVE cover.

luckydaves cover idea would have been classy and beautiful.

they are OBVIOUSLY going for the complete opposite.

but look on the bright side, the crappy cover represents the crappy film thats inside the cover very nicely! points for that!!!!!!!!!

guitargeek0624 Profile Photo
guitargeek0624
#41re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:57pm

I don't really like the cover...I'd prefer the actual movie poster. It looks really fake to me. But that's just my two cents. It's the inside that counts anyway. re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!

"A little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing." - Thomas Jefferson

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#42re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:59pm

the covers almost misleading because I felt that the movie was much more emotional than the stage show and the cover makes the movie look so cheerful. I guess thats just advertising though.
Updated On: 1/9/06 at 05:59 PM

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#43re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 5:59pm

xM3L24x, AMEN.

Luckydave14
#44re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 6:00pm

Kringas - I still don't understand why you think that the spine will help the publicity for the DVD. People probably won't see the spine in the store, but we will have to look at it when it is up on our DVD shelves. And no, I don't think Idina should be on the spine at all.

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#45re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 6:01pm

if anybody should be on the spine, and nobody should..it should be mark and roger, cause I think they are the main main characters.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#46re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 6:06pm

reading that cover i can see why they opted to list the cast alpabetically, it was the ,ost democratic way to still list it as rasario and taye billed first

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#47re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 6:07pm

it just works out that taye and rosario are first alphabetically and in the way that they are the biggest stars...but alphabetically is the way to do it, its fair.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#48re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 6:13pm

Is it true that the reason they needed two disks is because the second will be full of the cast reading aloud all the threads about RENT from Broadwayworld.com?

PEACE.

dreaminaret Profile Photo
dreaminaret
#49re: RENT Film Onto DVD Feb 21 - Artwork & Specs Released!
Posted: 1/9/06 at 6:15pm

I'm not a big fan because inevitably Mark & Benny always get paired together and this "split" makes it seem like it's all about coupling rather than an ensemble performance. A shot from La Vie Boheme would have been better. Oh well.

Also, I'm surprised that Ebert & Roeper are on it since they didn't give a great review... actually they gave a pretty rotten one... they should have had a quote from the NY Times instead.

i grew up 13 miles north of bohemia and 31 miles northeast of hicksville.