'Brokeback! The Musical!'

Wayman_Wong
#0'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/10/06 at 12:27pm

Last month in my 'Leading Men' column at Playbill.com, I asked: If 'Brokeback Mountain' became a Broadway musical, which two 'Leading Men' oughta star in it? If you'd like to see a sampling of the casting suggestions we got, click on this:

(Scroll down to the item: A musical 'Mountain' with anticipation)
Playbill.com: A musical 'Mountain' with anticipation

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#1re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/10/06 at 12:33pm

Gotta dream, boy!
Gotta song!
Paint your rectum
And come along!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Wayman_Wong
#2re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/10/06 at 1:35pm

P.S. If you've got other pairings of Broadway guys for 'Brokeback,' besides the ones in our column, let's hear 'em.

moulin724rouge Profile Photo
moulin724rouge
#3re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 1:02am

patrick wilson would have to be in it...

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#4re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 1:06am

That goes without saying. I find this entire concept hilarious.

PATRICK AND CHEYENNE!

iliketheater Profile Photo
iliketheater
#5re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 1:10am

hah! i love it!

Tirso de Molina
#6re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 1:20am

Moving on to the rest of the casting, I'd love to see Chenoweth cast against type as Alma. Of course, she'd bring down the house nightly with her big second act ballad, "You never brought us home no fish, Ennis."

"Sweet summer evenings, hot wine and bread / Sharing your supper, sharing your bed / Simple joys have a simple voice: It says why not go ahead?"

jczelyph Profile Photo
jczelyph
#7re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 1:23am

Hahahahahaha. 'You never brought us home no fish Ennis' - absolutely classic.

"Jane, I've been dealt a blow - I've been dealt a blow, Jane."

TennesseeTwang
#8re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 1:34am

I'd like to see Ioan Gruffud play Jack and Kevin McKidd play Ennis. Of course, neither is American. But both sing exceptionally well and both can do convincing American accents.

Footlooser Profile Photo
Footlooser
#9re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 3:06am

Jack: Michael Arden
Ennis: Matthew Morrison

"You know just because you put a smiley face after it doesn't change the fact that it was an a-hole comment." ~ Sumofallthings

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#10re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 3:14am

I liked the Michael Arden and Max von Essen suggestion in the article, but I feel like both of them singing together would be almost too much to handle.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#11re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 8:58am

The pair, whoever it might be, SHOULD be too much too handle. re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'

I suppose anyone can take their fair guess at my picks. *embarassed shuffle* And after seeing the movie, I still think they'd fit very well for the parts.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/11/06 at 08:58 AM

idinarocksmysocks!510 Profile Photo
idinarocksmysocks!510
#12re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 10:07am

haha i love the suggestion!

you say i'm weird! look at everyone you're sitting with! and hey, those guys over there just threw napkins up in the air like they were on something! it's contajous! you can't help it!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#13re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 10:15am

Hey, I started a thread weeks ago.

I'll see you in court, Wayman Wong!!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#14re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 10:30am

I'm Miss Rath's attorney for this case. The proper papers have been filed, and you'll be hearing from us soon.

...Hey, how about "Brokahomo!" as a title?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 1/11/06 at 10:30 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#15re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 10:58am

No, wait...

A better scenario: The boys meet at this tap dancing camp up in the mountains of Wyoming... and it's called "Hoofers and Heifers!"... or maybe even "Pullback Mountain!"

(Okay, there, I'm done.)

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#16re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 11:02am

how about Bareback Mountain the Musical?

Tirso de Molina
#17re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 2:55pm

I do love this thread, but I have to admit that actually turning this story/film into a musical sounds almost untenable: the problem would be that an essential aspect of so many of the characters is their inability to articulate, understand, or accept their feelings. These characters are people largely without access to expressive language, and as a consequence without access to many of the ideas that expressive language can convey. And a musical about inarticulate people is a contradiction in terms. Jack is more of a dreamer, and I could maybe see creating songs for his character -- but Ennis?! His entire tragedy derives the fact that he bottles up his feelings and refuses, or is unable, to put them into words; Heath Ledger's delivery of his dialogue captures this repression/oppression perfectly. To have Ennis able to sing about his feelings would undermine the most essential aspects of his character and the story itself.

On the lighter side, I'm thinking Elaine Stritch should have first dibs on the Randy Quaid character!

"Sweet summer evenings, hot wine and bread / Sharing your supper, sharing your bed / Simple joys have a simple voice: It says why not go ahead?"

Wayman_Wong
#18re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 3:23pm

Hey, Rathnait62, when did you post your 'Brokeback' thread? I just did a search on this site and all I can find is a thread called 'Brokeback' sequel on Dec. 29. I posted my previous 'Leading Men' column, asking for 'Brokeback' casting suggestions, on Dec. 5. Anyway, I never saw your thread, but I guess it just proves one thing: Great minds think alike. Or to quote the movie: 'Ain't no reins on this!' re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'

zelda Profile Photo
zelda
#19re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 3:53pm

first. i have to say..in case the moderator is reading...you kicked off this topic that my friend listed ..then said your relisted and never did. so he doesnt come here anymore...sucks..he was very very smart

however...brokeback could be a tremedous musical. the hands it should lie in would be that of Mr. Guettel. he would be able to manage the silence and the pain and encompass the moments of joy.

Jwaa
#20re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 4:08pm

This should not be a musical....

the idea is that they are too ashamed and confused and unexplainably torn up by the whole thing...

it couldnt be vocalised and just shouldnt be....
(sorry the film it me real heavy, still havent gotten over it)

I think that it could be made into a matthew bourne ballet, his most incredible emotional ballet yet...but thats just me.

x

Wayman_Wong
#21re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 4:11pm

Zelda, is your posting directed at Rathnait62? Otherwise, I'm not sure what you mean. Thanks in advance for clarifying things.

Alex LaVelle
#22re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 4:12pm

Personally, I enjoyed Nathan Lane's rendition of Brokeback: The Musical on Letterman a couple of weeks ago.

"There's a couple of guys on the meadow!
There's a couple of guys on the meadow!"

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#23re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 4:13pm

Tirso de Molina --- That was wonderfully put! And I agree with what you said.

No, this shouldn't be a musical at all. Perish the thought... unless JERRY HERMAN writes the score!!!!

re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'

FindingNamo
#24re: 'Brokeback! The Musical!'
Posted: 1/11/06 at 4:16pm

I do not feel that this thread treats BM with the reverence that even the biggest naysayers must agree by now it has earned.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Videos