Tony Award Nominations

#0Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 10:33am

What musicals and plays do you guys think will get nominated for Tonys this year?

I can't really think of any plays right now, but I do have a few musicals in mind.

Jersey Boys (well, this is my 1st choice since I know alot of people have been talking about it and about John Lloyd Young's voice *by the way, I do think he's amazing!*)

The Color Purple

Sweeney Todd

Actually, these are the only three I can think of!!

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#1re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 10:38am

Woman In White

History Boys

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:14am

RABBIT HOLE (winner for Best Play, Best Leading Actress in a Play (Cynthia Nixon), and Best Featured Actress in a Play (Tyne Daly)

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 1/18/06 at 11:14 AM

jasobres
#3re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:16am

Considering there have only been three musical revivals again those are the only ones that will nominated:

Sweeney Todd (definite winner)
The Pajama Game
Threepenny Opera

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

MargoChanning
#4re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 11:24am

An early guess:

Best Play

Rabbit Hole
History Boys
Well
Shining City

Best Musical

The Color Purple
Jersey Boys
The Wedding Singer
Tarzan

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 1/18/06 at 11:24 AM

Fosse76
#5re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 12:49pm

As much as I liked Jersey Boys, I don't think it deserves any Tony's. Margo's other choices aren't much better, if at all. I still don't understand why Disney is turning Tarzan into a musical.

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#6re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 1:38pm

Best Musical:
Winnter: The Color Purple
Tarzan
The Woman In White
Jersey Boys

MargoChanning
#7re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 1:51pm

Well, I'm sure the fact the film version of Tarzan grossed over $200 million worldwide has something to do with Disney wanting to adapt it to the stage. Not to mention the dozens of films and tv shows through the years based on the character, who is one of the best known and loved and recognized fictional figures in the history or western culture. Not sure if the show will work or not -- though knowing Disney, it'll at least be competent -- but it's very understandable why they would want to try.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 1/18/06 at 01:51 PM

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#8re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 2:15pm

"Margo's other choices aren't much better, if at all."

Two of them havent even opened...how can anyone already write them off?

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#9re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 2:40pm

Is this a thread about what SHOULD be nominated or what WILL BE nominated? Two different things. Margo's list is pretty realistic.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#10re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 3:06pm

Nah, I think the The Color Purple will win. Remember how bias tha Tony people are to jukebox musicals.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#11re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 3:10pm

What I think Jersey Boys have against it is the fact that it is considered a "jukebox" musical, a prime and very well-done example of the genre, but still a "jukebox." I think it will most likely get nominated, but I think a show with a new score is more likely to win. The reviews for Jersey Boys were probably the best for a musical this season so that's obviously something to take in consideration but still, we're only halfway through. Tarzan could be the next Lion King. I do believe Jersey Boys might win for Best Book and will definitely be John Doyle's main competition for Best Direction.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#12re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 3:11pm

Bias? If anything, the entire theatre community was against jukebox musicals - but when JERSEY BOYS opened, it was received very well - better than any jukebox musical in the past, including MAMMA MIA and ALL SHOOK UP. I don't think the Tony Comittee is against them, they just don't usually nominate BAD things. MAMMA MIA even received a slew of nominations, including best musical. Yes, it was the first and yes, it was the first new musical after 9/11, but JERSEY BOYS shows that jukebox musicals CAN be done right, and I think they will recognize that and set it as a precedent for other wishing to follow in their footsteps. As of now, JERSEY BOYS is the one to beat - THE COLOR PURPLE just isn't very good.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#13re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 3:17pm

I don't think Jersey Boys can possibly win. The fact that it is a jukebox is a huge strike against it. It is an excellent Jukebox Musical, but being a jukebox musical, in my opinion, that is the main reason why it will not get the tony.

The Color Purple will win. Why? It is the most original thing on broadway right now with the largest chance of a successful run. Queen Oprah will get the tony for best musical if only for bias toward the marketability of the show.

I hate to say all of this of course, but such is reality.
Updated On: 1/18/06 at 03:17 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#14re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 3:23pm

I know it's excellent. Belive me I know. So don't jump at me.
I think it has a chance with lighting and book and even direction (even though I'm pretty sure Doyle will win). There's always a chance.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#15re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:14pm

I'm not saying it will win - but it's undeniable that it's the best new musical of the year. Alas, that's not saying much of anything.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#16re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:17pm

The Color Purple will win Best Musical this year. Along with a slew of other awards (Supporting Actress for either Fields or Mendes; set design, choreography and possibly score and probably a few other design awards).

Jersey Boys will win for Book and possibly Actor.

That's really all I can say as of now.

beacon1
#17re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:18pm

Margo...who do see in the Revivals category. Do Lane and Broderick still have the clout?

Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Patrick Wilson Fans --New "UnOfficial Fan Site". Come check us out!

Patrick Wilson Yahoo Group

Patrick Wilson Facebook Fan Page

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#18re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:25pm

Jersey Boys is a sure bet for a nomination, though at this point I still think Color Purple is likelier to win. The name recognition of that piece (and the other name above the title) are enough to sell it on the road, and we've seen in the past that the out of town voters are big bloc with the potential to swing it either way.

That having been said, if the awards went out today, Jersey Boys would probably be a lock on Best Book. I wouldn't be surprised to see John Lloyd Young take home the award, but I wouldn't bet on it either. Cerveris will be tough competition for him, as will Cumming. I think it will be the hardest category to call this year.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#19re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:36pm

Will Three Days of Rain be considered a new work or a revival? I would hardly consider it in the "American public's canon"...

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#20re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:49pm

I'm pretty sure 3 days will be revival...seems like I heard that around but don't quote me on it.

MargoChanning
#21re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 4:56pm

It's unclear right now if Three Days of Rain will be new or a revival. While it may not be part of the canon, it has received hundreds of productions around the country in the past decade. It'll be up to the Tony committee to decide. Two seasons ago they voted Assassins a revival by a 10 to 9 vote. We'll see what they decide here.

The musical revival category will include all eligible openings (Sweeney, Threepenny, Pajama Game), while the Play Revival category is hard to predict since so much has yet to open, but maybe

Three Days of Rain (assuming it's a revival)
Seascape
Barefoot In The Park or The Odd Couple (probably not both)
Caine Mutiny Court-Martial

A Touch of the Poet or Awake and Sing! could also sneak in there.

And the Special Event Category will be

Bridge & Tunnel
Chita Rivera: A Dancer's Life
The Two and Only

And is Martin Short's show still on?

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#22re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 5:05pm

From what I've gleaned, Martin Short is on if it can find a theatre.

#23re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/18/06 at 5:11pm

Just because Jersey Boys is considered to be a "jukebox" musical doesn't mean it's not going to get nominated. Compare the reviews to that of All Shook Up and Mamma Mia, WAY BETTER!! Critics seem to love it and even though they do mention it as another "jukebox" musical, it's not one musical to ignore.
Also I listened to some of the songs from The Color Purple, and none of the songs got me interested what so ever.

rebels Profile Photo
rebels
#24re: Tony Award Nominations
Posted: 1/19/06 at 12:27am

No doubt "Jersey Boys" will be nominated for a Tony.

I think "Jersey Boys" is going to win at least one Tony (I'm betting two: Best Musical & Best Actor--John Lloyd Young).

Since November, there's been some really great Tony-buzz about this production & the reviews have been much more favorable than "The Color Purple."

"Jersey Boys" is so much more than a jukebox musical--it's much more of a biopic or rock documentary. The songs just weren't thrown into some lame story such as "Good Vibrations." That being said, I think the book should be nominated as well.

Jersey Boys Blog: http://www.jerseyboysblog.com/

Videos