pixeltracker

Casting "Ariel" in The Little Mermaid

Casting "Ariel" in The Little Mermaid

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#0Casting "Ariel" in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 1:54am

I asked this in the Ursala thread but since it is a thread jack and nobody answered I decided to ask seperatly. How about Jenna Leigh Green?

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#1re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 2:06am

Is Jenna Leigh Green a great singer? I have never heard her.

Theatreboy49
#2re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 2:14am

I think she's a great singer. I saw her in the Wicked tour (nessa) and her Wicked Witch of the East was good and though I never got to hear her Elphaba I can see as how she has been given the understudy to the role. Now you can love or hate Wicked but I think to play that role you need to be a good singer.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

theatreboi11
#3re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 2:24am

See I think she sucks on the bare recording but from what I heard of her in Wicked she is a great singer. I could see her in the part but definatly wouldnt be my first choice.

(Martha Graham from a letter to Agnes de Mille) "There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening That is translated through you into action, And because there is only one of you in all time, This expression is unique. If you block it, It will never exist through any other medium And be lost. The world will never have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, Nor how valuable it is, Nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours, clearly and directly, To keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware Directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, A blessed unrest that keeps us marching And makes us more alive than others."

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#4re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 2:26am

Does anyone know where I can find Jenna Singing online?

Theatreboy49
#5re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 2:28am

yea, im sure there are a couple better canidates but she also looks the part as well. Not the red hair but the type of angelic face and a voice to go with it making her a decent candidate for the role.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#6re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 2:47am

NYC4Life-

https://www.sh-k-boom.com/bare.html

Jenna sings Portrait of a Girl, Touch My Soul, All Grown Up and One.

Now. Who's going to start the "Casting 'Sebastian' in The Little Mermaid" thread? re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Theatreboy49
#7re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 2:53am

well, since you tempted me to thread jack my own thread, I'd say right away that's where the big name should go. I just havent decided if they should stick to ethnic casting for sebastian or not.

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#8re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 2:55am

Wayne Brady.

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

Theatreboy49
#9re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 3:01am

i was thinking wayne brady but if all goes as i have planned (meaning NBL has left DRS) Wayne Brady will be busy playing Freddy in DRS (that my vote for replacement but off subject) but yea Brady or Taye Diggs

NYC4Life Profile Photo
NYC4Life
#10re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 3:04am

Hinton Battle would be good as the crab.

Thanks for the link. I think she has pretty voice. I had never heard music from that show, i like it.
Updated On: 1/23/06 at 03:04 AM

Theatreboy49
#11re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 3:11am

isnt he too old though? but yea hinton battle back to broadway would rock!

landryjames
#12re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 11:11am

Based on her stunning looks and beautiful voice, I think Sherie Renee Scott would be magnificent as Ariel.

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#13re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 11:19am

rosie o'donnell as ariel, harvey fierstein as prince eric, dame edna as ursula, gary coleman as sebastian, haley joel osment as flounder, swedish chef (from the muppets) as the chef.

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

showinoff Profile Photo
showinoff
#14re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 12:02pm

I was under the impression that Celia was playing Ariel, or was that just for the workshop? A newcomer would be fantastic, seeing as how Disney enjoys finding new people.

<< Gavin Creel and Kate Baldwin making vocal love... I adore these two.

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#15re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 12:49pm

kelli O'hara

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

thez914 Profile Photo
thez914
#16re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 12:53pm

Ashley Brown! Ashley Brown! for Ariel.

Andre De Shields for Sebastian.

"Art is always in crisis: you must work fast to write in the breath on the window." -Edward Bond

ze emcee Profile Photo
ze emcee
#17re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 12:53pm

I think Jenna Leigh Green is horrible. Bad choice.

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#18re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 12:55pm

Ariel - Ashley Brown (you can hear her at: http://disney.go.com/disneytheatrical/ashley/audio.html)

Ursula - Alice Ripley, Sara Ramirez and I know she is too old but, Bea Arthur (love her!)

Sebastian - Wayne Brady

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

cathyhyatt
#19re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 12:57pm

Kelli Ohara and Sherie Rene are both amazing, but neither of them are right for ariel...

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

keggss23 Profile Photo
keggss23
#20re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 12:59pm

"Kelli Ohara and Sherie Rene are both amazing, but neither of them are right for ariel..."

Agreed.

"When you're a Jet, / You're a Jet all the way, / From your first pirouette / To your last grand jete." --Brian Kaman

Daniel2 Profile Photo
Daniel2
#21re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 1/23/06 at 1:04pm

My vote would go to Miss Coco Peru!

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#22re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 2/10/06 at 7:50am

I think that Menken is pulling for Kerry Butler, she has done the role in so many of the workshops and she sang the songs at little tribute concert, and I managed to find her singing "Part Of Your World" and it was amazing! I am rooting for her even though as a woman in her 30's she should probably stop playing teenagers.

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

clarkstallings
#23re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 2/10/06 at 10:27am

Is Sam Wright too old to play Sebastin? I think it would be neat to see him in the role, though it would be interesting to see how they'd convey him as a tiny crab.

cathyhyatt
#24re: Casting 'Ariel' in The Little Mermaid
Posted: 2/10/06 at 10:48am

I really feel like Ariel should be someone unknown. I can't think of any broadway actress that is absolutely *perfect* for it.

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

Videos