pixeltracker

why hasn't there been a musical of .....?

why hasn't there been a musical of .....?

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#0why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 4:50pm

got to thinking about source material for shows and how lazy it seems to do a jukebox musical of someone else's songs or even to cut and paste a movie onto the stage.

where's the original ideas, certainly they havent all been done have they?

what would you like to see as a musical that hasnt happened yet?

i think the story of Rasputin (NOT using ABBA's song) would be good, kinda creepy, romantic, "Phantom"-esque

or the life of Marie Antoinette

or the books "The Life of Pi" or "Lying Awake"

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.
Updated On: 1/25/06 at 04:50 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#1re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 4:54pm

"Waiting for Guffman: The Musical"
(Actually, I did write that one on my own time. Never gonna be done though.)

boatsintheghetto Profile Photo
boatsintheghetto
#2re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 4:58pm

i wrote a crappy one about the eruption of mt vesuvius...a tragic love story where everyone died in the end.

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#3re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 5:00pm

I loved the Simpsons "Planet of the Apes" musical parody so much, I'd love to see that as a full show.

"Oh no, I was wrong! It was earth all along! Yes, you finally made a moneky! Yes, we finally made a monkey out of youuuuu!"

Pinaud Profile Photo
Pinaud
#4re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 6:00pm

In terms of movies, I've always thought How to Marry A Millionaire would be a natural. And I wish there would be a way to musicalize A League of Their Own.

The Women would also make a great musical.(I know there was a drag musical version of it in LA a couple of years ago, called Jungle Red)

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#5re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 6:38pm

School Daze......a glorified musical
Mahogany
Sparkle
Rumor Has It
A Walk To Remember
Mommy Dearest
Bruce Almighty
The Majestic.......I really think this could work.
Finding Neverland
A Nightmare Before Christmas
The Bridge To Terebitha
The Counte of Monte Cristo

Facebook...ME !!!

StageWhore Profile Photo
StageWhore
#6re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 6:47pm

Unmasked, would the source material be the movie version of Monte Cristo, or the book?
I think Flatland: A romance in 2 dimensions would be interesting.

"`I grow old... I grow old... I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.` What does that mean, Mr. Marlowe?" "Not a bloody thing. It just sounds good." He smiled. "That is from the `Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.` Here's another one. `In the room women come and go/Talking of Michael Angelo.' Does that suggest anything to you, sir?" "Yeah -- it suggests to me that the guy didn't know very much about women." "My sentiments exactly, sir. Nonetheless I admire T. S. Eliot very much." "Did you say, 'nonetheless'?" - The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

#7re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 6:57pm

Dead Poets Society or The Truman Show by Peter Weir would both make interesting musicals.

StageWhore Profile Photo
StageWhore
#8re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:04pm

Also, Roe v. Wade would make an interesting play. In the vein of Inherit the Wind/Scopes monkey trial.
alw, Dead Poet's Would be wonderful.

"`I grow old... I grow old... I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.` What does that mean, Mr. Marlowe?" "Not a bloody thing. It just sounds good." He smiled. "That is from the `Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.` Here's another one. `In the room women come and go/Talking of Michael Angelo.' Does that suggest anything to you, sir?" "Yeah -- it suggests to me that the guy didn't know very much about women." "My sentiments exactly, sir. Nonetheless I admire T. S. Eliot very much." "Did you say, 'nonetheless'?" - The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler
Updated On: 1/26/06 at 07:04 PM

bwayondabrain
#9re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:07pm

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (sisters idea)

and mine is American Idol (a corny story of a girl who wins american idol, finds love, and all that stuff! i think it would do well with tourists...)

and i dont know beyond that... I try to think of them!!

Becky2 Profile Photo
Becky2
#10re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:10pm

I agree with the Monte Cristo, Roe v. Wade, and the Dead Poets Society.
Maybe American History X would make an interesting musical, maybe not, I'd have to think about it for a while.

YankeesFan175
#11re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:13pm

i would absolutely LOVE a walk to remember to be a musical.

miss congeniality would be interesting, hehe.

Bob: "there is a chance, albeit a microscopic one, that our baby at some point in his or her formative years will get lodged in a tree" ~Related~

Overthemoon6 Profile Photo
Overthemoon6
#12re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:29pm

I think a musical about Finding Neverland would be really good. I know this is an opera, but I think that Alice in Wonderland would make a good musical.

And then, do you know Monseiur Marius, I believe I was a little in love with you.
♥♥♥

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#13re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:31pm

The Exorcist.

It CRIES OUT for a big tap number.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

loudasthehelliwant Profile Photo
loudasthehelliwant
#14re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:34pm

I don't understand why they haven't made a musical based on this one novel by Gregory MacGuire (I think that's his name). Anyway, it's like a spin on the Wizard of Oz or something...

Oh... wait a second...

"I mean, how many of us could honestly say that at one time or another he hasn't set fire to some great public building?"

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#15re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:23am

okay hello morons! i started this topic out lambasting movies into musicals and the whole idea of jukebox.

WHAT ORIGINAL IDEA SHOULD BE MADE INTO A MUSICAL????

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

DefyingEDCT Profile Photo
DefyingEDCT
#16re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:27am

Life of Pi would make an odd musical.

BUT it is being made into a movie, I think Tim Burton is directing.

#17re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 12:33am

my husband is teaching The History of the American Musical Theater and speaking of jukebox musicals and ORIGINAL musicals...has anyone ever noticed that MOST successful musicals are based on a book or movie...the keyword here..SUCCESSFUL...we sat at dinner the other night and i was determined to prove that wrong and i don't even think i came up with a half dozen original ideas that weren't based on SOMETHING...
anyway...i would love for "Down with Love" to be a musical! i agree with "the count of monte cristo", one of my all time faves..and "finding neverland" could be a GORGEOUS musical in the right hands...maybe Lucy Simon..the Secret Garden lady..or Ahrens and Flahrety...

Quasi
#18re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 2:31am

Marie Antoinette will premiere in fall in Japan. Michael Kunze and Sylvester Levay who wrote the European hitmusical "Elisabeth" are working on it.

Dollypop
#19re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 5:52am

The Scott Peterson Story

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#20re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 6:18am

How about the following:

The Texas Chainsaw Musical
North by Northwest The Musical
The Alamo The Musical
Psycho The Musical
The Mummy The Musical

Poster Emeritus

blahblahblah
#21re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 7:56am

Kristin in a bikini. Updated On: 1/26/06 at 07:56 AM

EganFan2
#22re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 10:41am

There was an "Alamo" musical already. Now, how good it was is another story.

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#23re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 10:53am

Has A HATFUL OF RAIN ever been done??

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#24re: why hasn't there been a musical of .....?
Posted: 1/26/06 at 11:15am

As far as on stage Being Julia and The Notebook would make great musicals.

But as far as original, Anastasia, not the dreamworks glorification but the TRUE story of the Romanov's tragedy, would be amazing on stage.

Also, as it was discussed before, a musical based on that woman on the oprah show. I forgot her name, but she died when her daughter was a child and before she did, she made hundreds of recordings, teaching her daughter life lessons. The musical could follow the young girls life and the impact of her mother's messages.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish