who here thinks...

#0who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 8:48pm

that they could do 8 shows a week, for 50 weeks ..(i am counting in vacation time) of a role like Elphaba or a role as demanding as that without missing a show? i am curious as to who thinks they could HONESTLY do it...be honest.

Updated On: 2/12/06 at 08:48 PM

#1re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:00pm

I know that I could. As long as I didn't have a second job. I obviously could not do so as a full time student or worker. But if that was my job, I know that I, and many others, would be able to devote the necessary time to taking care of myself in order to produce my best performance each time.

#2re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:02pm

by the way..PLEASE read my post with a POSITIVE tone...i wasn't presenting that query in a snotty way AT ALL..ok?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#3re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:03pm

I think it's very easy for people to say they could, whether they actually can is an entirely different story. When push comes to shove, I imagine it's a lot tougher than people think.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#4re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:04pm

Very good observation SPOT -- the trick to doing 8 shows a week is that you have to treat it as a JOB. And it is a job that in many ways is much less fun than sporting a 9-5 because you have to have incredible discipline. If you are going to be doing a role like Elphaba or Rose in GYPSY, you can have virtually no social life outside of the theatre because your number one responsibility is to rest, train and take care of your body.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#5re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:06pm

I would make sure I was able to before I tookt he job. I'd make sure I took care of myself properly, and did everything to ensure my very best.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

jem2 Profile Photo
jem2
#6re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:08pm

Andrew, an excellent question.

I admire those who are able to keep up a grueling work schedule like that, they have loads of heart and dedication. I know I couldn't cut it for very long although I am not a performer. When I am watching performances I tend to think of what it must be like. At the outset it looks like "wow, wouldn't it be cool/fun/awesome to play this part?" but when you think about doing it eight times a week for months on end...it's a killer.

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#7re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:14pm

Even though I can't sing and am a mediocre actore, I would love to be on broadway because you must learn so much about yourself having to do 8 shows a week and all. It must be amazing.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Thesbijean
#8re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:20pm

Who cares?

People on this board think Idina Menzel is the Best Actress on Broadway...
Updated On: 2/12/06 at 09:20 PM

Broadwayluva Profile Photo
Broadwayluva
#9re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 9:55pm

to tell the truth, i'd want to make as many shows as possible, although i know that i'd probably miss at least a couple because for me, it's just regular that i get a cold which lasts a couple days atleast once a year. Also, I remember when Joey McIntyre was in Wicked, he said that he wouldn't be taking any planned days off, because there maybe, even if just one or two, fans who came to see him. I'd HATE it if someone came to the show to see me, and unfortunately could not make it, although i know it's something which can happen frequently.

Yankeefan007
#10re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 10:06pm

There are FAR more demanding roles than Elphaba and Glinda.

Harvey Fierstein has the best work ethic of any Broadway actor. He played every single performance of Hairspray he was contracted for (excluding the 1/2 performance he missed - debatable), as well as every contracted Fiddler performance. Fiddler, by far, is more demanding than Wicked.

Hugh Jackman played all of his contracted performances (semi-debatable) and was on stage for the full 2hrs and 40 minutes of all of them.

Another I can think of is Cherry Jones in Doubt. Her tourdeforce performance was one for the ages.
Updated On: 2/12/06 at 10:06 PM

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#11re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 10:10pm

Harvey Fierstein has the best work ethic of any Broadway actor. He played every single performance of Hairspray he was contracted for (excluding the 1/2 performance he missed), as well as every contracted Fiddler performance. Fiddler, by far is more demanding than Wicked.

If I recall correctly, Harvey missed a full performance and a 1/2. I may be wrong.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

C is for Company
#12re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 10:16pm

In the ensemble, I would bring the same game-face every performance. However, as a lead in a demanding show it would get very hard.
Now on this thread we seem to be listing some grueling schedules. I will say Marion in WiW. Typically it would apply to every ALW female lead like Evita and Christine too, but they get alternates. Maria had a very different case though

#13re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 10:26pm

i am not talking about other people's track records..everyone is different..we KNOW about the track records of other actors who have been or ARE in shows...
i am talking about YOU..the members of BWW...you the posters on this board.
and i was using Elphaba as an example because, i noticed that the elphaba's get picked on a lot for missing shows. for ME..it is a very demanding role....i doubt i could do 8 shows a week and never miss a show. that has nothing to do with my work ethic either...missing shows usually has nothing to do with work ethic, although i am sure there are exceptions.
i am also not looking for people to compare what role is more demanding than another...thats not the point. there have been other threads on that anyway...

Updated On: 2/12/06 at 10:26 PM

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#14re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 10:48pm

This is a strange topic, I think that one of the reasons that so many proformers are out these days is that broadway does not pay enough so they have to go to hollywood and do tv etc.

#15re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 10:57pm

horton! thats soo funny!! hahahah...maybe you're partly right..but i know performers on broadway who have supporting roles who pull in a 6 figure income....even the ensemble doesn't do terribly..they make plenty to live on..i did...

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#16re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/12/06 at 11:56pm

"And it is a job that in many ways is much less fun than sporting a 9-5 because you have to have incredible discipline"

But isn't the point of being a performer that you do it because you're passionate about it? For many people, a 9-5 is what they have to do to survive, and there's no fun to it at all. Everything in life comes with sacrifices.

And Horton, if you're not making "enough" money on Broadway, then you're living a bit larger than necessary.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#17re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/13/06 at 12:04am

"There are FAR more demanding roles than Elphaba and Glinda."

I know that's fun for people to SAY, but I'd say that Elphaba certainly IS one of the most demanding. I'm just talking from an endurance perspective here...the energy it takes to do one scream the roof of the Gershwin number after the other and the fact that the character is basically on stage every minute has just got to be pretty exhausting. It's a pretty big emotional roller coaster as well.
Updated On: 2/13/06 at 12:04 AM

BSoBW3 Profile Photo
BSoBW3
#18re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/13/06 at 12:08am

Well, Elphaba sure is harder to play than Effie!

/sarcasm

If I am enjoying something I love, I will be out on the stage every night performing, with or without my voice. (with is extra!)

The smallest stream is a valent river. It will drown me if it can.

AnotherDay46 Profile Photo
AnotherDay46
#19re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/13/06 at 12:08am

Seriously though, think of Eva in Evita. THAT I must say is a demanding role, she IS the show.

Chrysanthemum62001
#20re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/13/06 at 12:21am

Right now, no. But I'm working very hard to get to the point where I CAN and I WILL.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#21re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/13/06 at 12:30am

I think I could do it without anyother job. I'd take the time to see I rested trained and prepareed to do what it takes to perform 8 times a week. I think I could do it over time. PErhaps not my first run but next show. And I think the ones who do it the most often arent the leads but the very dedicated hardworking ensembles. I think the people who did it best would be the les Cagelles in La Cage Aux Folles.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Jazzysuite82
#22re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/13/06 at 12:41am

I've def can do it. I say this because I do 8 show weeks all the time. I think many people say they can, but don't know what an 8 show week feels like. It's not just I'm giving 3-4 hours of my life a night. I mean working 6 days a week isn't exactly a picnic. Depending on the show, it can be really hectic. When I think of a dance show like A Chorus Line, Chicago, or even Joseph, doing that much work physically is exhausting. It's like working out for 2 hours everyday. So when you feel a bit under the weather or tired you still have to give all of yourself just to get through. Singing shows are the same. I mean doing Sweeney Todd 8 times a week (with 5 show weekends) isn't a picnic. I've done operas that have been vocally easier to do. I'd def think twice before saying I could do it. I think I could depending on the show.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#23re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/13/06 at 12:44am

ITs funny you mentioned Sweeney. Thats my eventual goal is to play that role on braodway. Its a very demanding role and I think that I really could do it. I think that if I didnt do anything but train and rest and perform and just do the esessentals of life I could do it.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

Crazy4MattMorrison52 Profile Photo
Crazy4MattMorrison52
#24re: who here thinks...
Posted: 2/13/06 at 12:59am

harvey only missed the second act of one show. thats it.

"gimme a bottle of bourbon and half a chicken and i'll conquer the world!"

Videos