Nicest Broadway Stars?

BreeDaniel Profile Photo
BreeDaniel
#125re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 9:20am

Here's your belated s*itstorm Errico fan, I'm usually too lazy to read a thread that's gone on as long as this one has and is as trite as this is to begin with but I did and so here's my response to the unecessary, yet inevitable, Orfeh dig. Actlete, you are full of the brown stuff. Orfeh, all the way back to Saturday Night Fever, is always wonderful at the stage door, with or without her hunky husband and to imply anything to the contrary makes you seem really foolish. That would mean she was "threatened" by the Altarholics and that's just fall down funny to me.

bwaylover2 Profile Photo
bwaylover2
#126re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 9:53am

the nicest people i have met are
hugh jackman
adam pascal
anthony rapp
hank azaria
tim curry
david hyde pierce
idina menzel
jesse L martin

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#127re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 10:58am

Well, much to my utter dismay, I have to school the children yet again. I have heard some truly outlandish lies about some of my favorites on this board over the years and have been able to laugh off most as they were outrageous. Most of the originators of those posts and tall tales are ubiquitous on this very thread (and every other one for that matter), so I won't site examples. To say anything about Orfeh and stage door "behavior" (other than what a lovely and charming soul she is), is absolute hogwash. I did not see Trailer Park, I didn't have to. Orfeh is well known for two things, (other than her power pipes), her great show attendance and her ease with fans in general and at the stage door. This holds true even amongst the naysayers. Truth is truth and fact is fact. I know she needs no help or defense from me but this thread in general is nonsense and THAT is why I'm posting against my better judgment. No one should EVER care or discuss the way an actor, let me repeat those two words, *AN ACTOR* treats them at the stage door. They are NOT your friends, they are being paid and you are PAYING to see them perform. The minute the curtain call is over, they're off the clock, so any GOOD experience, (any off stage experience at all), should be considered gravy. Aren't there better things to discuss, really? I'm also going to agree with Bree, I can hardly stop laughing at the implication that Orfeh was "jealous" of fan adulation for her husband. She's not exactly the homely housewife he drags out when he needs a date.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#128re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 11:03am

I didn't mean to imply jealousy. Annoyance, rather. With, you know, fake weddings and the like.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#129re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 11:05am

I was responding more to ACTlete676 Luv. I got where you were coming from.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#130re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 11:07am

I guess I should have been clear and used the term "yaaa, she's like SO over protective", NOT!!

darkmist115 Profile Photo
darkmist115
#131re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:29pm

Megan Hilty was INSANELY nice. Karen Olivo is really great, too--The whole cast of BKLYN was really really sweet.

ACTlete676 Profile Photo
ACTlete676
#132re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 2:51pm

jk i love her

Who says blondes have more fun on the French Riviera?
Updated On: 10/24/06 at 02:51 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#133re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:02pm

God. Do you really think Orfeh has the power to control the internet? I think your friend The Ex just sounds like a jealous attention whore that's pissed that her picture was taken down and is searching for an excuse to blame someone she obviously already has issues with. Even if you're not a "lair," you're more than a bit deluded.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 2/16/06 at 03:02 PM

carymetorent2 Profile Photo
carymetorent2
#134re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:02pm

I agree with Al Dente ...

For the record, none of Andy's fans staged fake weddings.

Nope, that was a Kevin Kern fan ... oh wait, that was me. Oh ... wait, that was Kevin's idea.

As for Orfeh, I have never seen her be anything but nice ... I really didn't talk to her that much, but I have a lot of respect for any performer that takes the time to remember fans that come a lot and takes time to email and stuff ... and I have only heard good things about the woman.

I agree that both Barrett and John are incredibly nice people. Always stay until every last fan is gone and always greet people with a smile and remember them at the stage door.

Mayumi Ando from Rent is such a big sweetheart and so is Cheyenne Jackson. Soo good with his fans.

"Less Of A Marilyn, More Of A Jackie" www.richardhblake.com

wickedobsessed Profile Photo
wickedobsessed
#135re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:15pm

I have heard Oreph can be a nasty person.....

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#136re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:30pm

Al, I just have one question: for someone who apparently looks on this board with disdain and vitriol, why do you care what one person thinks? Just because you have had pleasant experiences with Orfeh doesn't mean she's always Mary Sunshine. Maybe the other poster caught her on a bad day. Why do you even care what any of us think, since you've professed as of late that you're in "message board retirement"?

You seem to have more "retirements" than Cher or Kiss...

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#137re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:42pm

Al Dente -
May I take a minute to explain why Gregory Jbara IS the nicest man on Broadway in New York?

This man very kindly invited me to visit him backstage following an afternoon production of DRS. He then took me on an extensive backstage tour, not only explaining how all the sets and props worked, but also taking me downstairs and introducing me to everyone working down there and allowing me to talk to all of them. That was wonderful - but it wasn't the half of it.

One month later I wrote to him and told him about my niece and her love of the theatre. I told him that she had never been to a Broadway show and that I wanted to take her to see DRS for her birthday. I asked him if it would be possible to meet him again after the show. I explained that I didn't think she'd be able to see all the things I saw, because she's handicapped. He not only agreed (in fact, he responded within about 3 minutes) but he suggested that we come in for a pre-show backstage tour. He said that way he would come in an hour early and that would give her plenty of time to see anything she wanted - without being rushed. Not only did she get to see everything I had, but when it came time to leave, he offered to get her program autographed for her by all the members of the cast.

I'm not suggesting that Greg J. might be a nice person. I'm TELLING you - he is the nicest man there and when he returns to California, Broadway's 'nice guy' measuring stick is going to have to be lowered - A LOT.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

ruprecht Profile Photo
ruprecht
#138re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:43pm

First of all Actlete, the fact that you have gone from knowing how her name is spelled to butchering it makes me certain you're an ass (and yes, if you can call her a "bitch", I'm going to call you an ass). And while it took me a couple of attempts to actually make sense of your last post, I think you were implying that Orfeh had some pictures "removed" from some ex- girlfriend's something or other, so basically, you never SAW Orfeh be a "bitch", you're going off some disgruntled psycho "ex", which btw, needs to get a life considering Andy and Orfeh have been married for five years now. Also, like Orangeskittles said, I would imagine that if Orfeh had the power to "control the net" she'd spend a bit more time trying to get all the crap written about her on BWW removed before some picture. There are literally hundreds of unflattering pics of her on the net.

Someone should send this thread to Orfeh herself, I think she'd get a huge laugh out of it, maybe that someone will be me.
And for the last time, WHO CARES what someone is like, hearsay or not. If you like or love their talents, it should be of NO consequence what their personalities are like. I happen to know in Orfeh's case, you couldn't be more wrong and I, for one, won't stand for it, especially since it turned into, another "well so and so said", please, get a grip!

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#139re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:47pm

And for the last time, WHO CARES what someone is like, hearsay or not.

You do, obviously.

TheBlonde
#140re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:49pm

I should probably stay out of this, but I really have to say something.

I'm a big Altar Boyz fan. I don't like the term altarholic, but apply it if you will. I also LOVED Trailer Park and went as often as I could. Not only was Orfeh 10,000x nicer than anyone ever has to be at stagedoor (I never had anything for her to sign, we always talked) but even if I didn't see her SHOW -- if I was upstairs for Altar Boyz -- she would stop and talk. The woman answers every email she gets, which is WAY above and beyond... She's not only one of the nicest people I've ever met at stagedoor, but once of the nicest people I've met PERIOD.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#141re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:00pm

Mamie, what are you talking about and why are you addressing it to me? I never said a word about Jbara.

ruprecht Profile Photo
ruprecht
#142re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:10pm

MEF, I have repeatedly admitted that I'm a die hard Orfeh fan, so if someone is making up some bulls*it story, I'm going to take offense. Just like you do when someone has something less than wonderful or glowing to say about Melissa Errico or Kaitlin Hopkins. Also, if Orfeh snubbed me tomorrow, whatever, I would still worship her talent and support her. I don't think she's my friend but I have tremendous respect for her AND she happens to be a sweetheart.

fishergirl819 Profile Photo
fishergirl819
#143re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:15pm

I am what you'd probably all call an Altarholic (although like TheBlonde, I dislike the term), and as carymetorent said, none of the Andy fans have "staged" weddings...I have jokingly said to a mutual friend of mine and theEmcee's something like "Oh, I wish he were my husband," so maybe that's where the Andy/wedding confusion happened? I don't know, but that's all that ever was - a joke with a friend, never anything involving any kind of fake, staged wedding with Andy.

To basically chime in on what others have said - I think Orfeh's just great. I saw Trailer Park a number of times, and spoke to Orfeh after basically every show, and she was always really wonderful. I took my mom to see it one night - TDF gave us front row seats, directly in front of Orfeh during the curtain call, and Orfeh basically introduced herself to my mother from the stage, with her mic still on - it was very cute and very funny.

We all have our days where we're bitchy or in bad moods...we all have our issues that we get sour over...it doesn't make us bad or nasty people. It makes us human.
Updated On: 2/16/06 at 04:15 PM

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#144re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:25pm

Here's yet another vote for "Orfeh is amazing, I don't know what y'all are talking about."

I saw Trailer Park a bunch of times (although not until the beginning of November, sadly) and was not only constantly impressed by how Orfeh handled herself both onstage and off, but by how well respected she was by her cast members and fans. You don't get that from being a "bitch" at stagedoor for what it's worth.

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#145re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:37pm

Once again, the same kind of thread that I think can be used to praise Broadway stars and give some fans some insight as to who are some of the nicest people on Broadway, so maybe if they're normally shy they'll feel more at ease, has turned ugly. I mean, it's discussed a lot, but I don't think it's ever overdoing it to praise those actors that in addition to being brilliant performers go out of their way to be nice to the fans, and realize w/ a simple smile/autograph they could make someone's day. Not everyone is like this and not everyone has to be like this. I mean, okay if an actor came out the stage door and cursed at all the fans and pushed them down, then I could understand someone saying they're bitchy and mean to fans, but i highly doubt that's ever happened. I don't think it's awful to acknowledge some actors who are less comfortable w/ their fans, but not for the purpose of saying awful things about them, but by giving fans a head's up so maybe they won't be disappointed if they don't come out the stage door or something.

But I always try to view it as I never hold against anyone who is uncomfortable w/ the fans, just admire so much more those who are and are gracious. To start fighting about if Orfeh is or isn't nice to fans is ridiculous, I've seen many posts where one person has cited someone as the nicest, and others as the meanest--everyone has their good days and bad days, but I've always found it much more beneficial and enjoyable to discuss some of the nicest actor encounters people have had then to argue about the bad ones.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

BreeDaniel Profile Photo
BreeDaniel
#146re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:50pm

Wow, an ex-girlfriend said "Orefh" did WHAT?! Gee, there sure isn't the overwhelming STENCH of an agenda there and well heck, it must be true, if an innocent, poor, ex girlfriend who found her way into a Broadway.com photo-op said so. Orfeh IS A HENPECKING BITCH! And Orfeh, if Rup does send these to you, can you get my credit score raised since you seem to be like, the internet OZ.

Give me a break and grow up ACTlete, or tell the "ex" to do so.

TheBlonde
#147re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:53pm

Well I'd agree with you, it'd be much nicer to just have a thread like this where people didn't bash anyone. But when they bash someone you really respect, it's impossible to just sit there and watch it happen and not try to defend them.

broadwaybound882
#148re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 5:10pm

Sara Ramirez was a saint. Willing to talk and sign my Playbill. The enitre current Phantom cast were the best. They were so nice to me after I saw the 18th anniversary. Sandra was amazing! She politely told me that people would not be out for a while (because they were having cake) and was also nice when I didn't recognize her, which made me feel horrible!

teresa2
#149re: Nicest Broadway Stars?
Posted: 2/16/06 at 11:30pm

i have to say that i have met both orfeh and her husband andy karl numerous times and they are both nothing less than wonderful every time. they are both extremely friendly and nice and they don't have to be. and they both always answer emails where again they don't have to. and regarding the implication that orfeh was jealous of an ex girlfriend of andys is ridiculous. they have been married for over five years and you can see how much they love each other. they both light up when speaking of the other. i don't think anyone can come between them and i don't think another woman could hold a candle to orfeh.
regarding other performers who are very friendly i also have to agree about greg jbara. he is one of the nicest men there is and broadway will be a little less bright without him when he leaves drs in july.