pixeltracker

7 days to NYC...I need your help please

7 days to NYC...I need your help please

~*Triple Star On Broadway*~ Profile Photo
~*Triple Star On Broadway*~
#07 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:13pm

Ok, I go to a musical theatre college in Canada, and we are taking a "theatre study tour" down to NYC to see shows, visit colleges, and all that jazz.

(We're staying on 45th street a block away from Times Square)

If theres anything that I CANNOT go without seeing when I'm down there, please let me know.

Also, where abouts is the best place to get I <3 NY t-shirts and souvenirs like that....seriously, I have no idea about any of this stuff and its making me feel useless.

I'm planning to get up super early in the morning and go wait in line for tickets for shows like Spamalot, DRS, WICKED and such...what are the chances of me actually getting into these shows? I know I'm not going to have much of an issue getting into most of the ones I want to go see, but these ones I'm a little worried about.

Does NY usually get insanely busy during spring break?

So heres my epic novel of questions. I hope some of you can answer them.

Thanks everyone <3

You've gotta have heart AND music

bwayondabrain
#1re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:21pm

for the I LOVE NY shirts, they just sell them on the street usually along with a bunch of other stuff. Also, there are a lot of random souvenir shops where they probably sell them.
And I know SPAMALOT, and WICKED are pretty fast-selling shows, but I dont know all the ticket info on them, sorry
Hope I could help
Have fun!

:)

greenegirl87
#2re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:23pm

Wicked does a lotto the day of the show ( I am pretty sure all the time and details are on the site.. wickedthemusical.com ) but I know that it is a lotto that is very difficult to win. There are 28 seats, and since a winner can get up to 2, usually only about 14 people win. I have heard that about 500 people go on some days, so if you really want a better chance I would recommend trying for Wednesday Matinee, they probably have the least amount of people.

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

BroadwayChica Profile Photo
BroadwayChica
#3re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:25pm

DEFINITELY see Sweeney Todd. Especially since it's a theater study group. The production's sure to inspire some great debate and discussion. It's a must-see.

NYC DOES get pretty hectic during Spring Break. It will probably be very difficult to get tickets to Spamalot, but you can always try your luck at the cancellation line. The lottery for Wicked is your best shot at getting seats, since Wicked is usually sold out. The lottery's usually very crowded, but it's worth a shot. The DRS lotto is usually pretty easy to get. And even if you don't, there should be half price seats at the TKTS stand. Should be no problem seeing that one.

As for souvenirs, and stuff, I really don't know. There are many shops in the Times Square/Broadway district, but they're usually pricey.

Hope you have fun while you're down here in NYC!

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#4re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:27pm

Don't miss Dirty Rotten Scoundrels!

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#5re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:28pm

Get to the box offices super early. Get standing room for Spamalot (get there around 6am). Get wheelchair or house seats for wicked, they are released the day of the show. Be prepared to spend the full $111.25 though.
DRS just do lotto, or walk up and buy tickets.

greenegirl87
#6re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:29pm

And do not miss Light in the Piazza!

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

pab Profile Photo
pab
#7re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:36pm

"I'm planning to get up super early in the morning and go wait in line for tickets for shows like Spamalot, DRS, WICKED and such...what are the chances of me actually getting into these shows?"

The two shows you will probably have problems getting tickets for will be "Spamalot" and "Wicked". I personally wouldn't waste my time on "Spamalot" but if you really want to see it I would recommend that you use a credit card, get online to telecharge and purchase those tickets. I would suggest that you do the same thing with Ticketmaster for "Wicked".

The two best musicals playing on Broadway right now, IMO, are "The Light In The Piazza" and "Sweeney Todd".

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

bwayondabrain
#8re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:37pm

and "light in the piazza" tickets should be very easy to get, i'd think
so yeah, definitely see "piazza", it is worth every penny!!!

pab Profile Photo
pab
#9re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:40pm

If you go to broadwayoffers.com and use the code LP4PBL3 you can get Piazza tickets for $60.00.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"
Updated On: 2/16/06 at 01:40 PM

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#10re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:42pm

Forget that, you are a student, sign up and get student tickets to Piazza for $20.

But I hated that show. If you have limited time in the city, be sure you know what you like and don't like in musicals so you don't waste your time or money.

YessicaB
#11re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:51pm

Another vote for Sweeney Todd. Don't miss it!

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#12re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 1:55pm

SPAMALOT has become very easy to find atleast one ticket to on a weekday - you should have no problem.

Definitely see PIAZZA and SWEENEY.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#13re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 2:29pm

Spamalot standing room--I echo the earlier comment on getting there by 6:00am. Check out Playbill.com for rush policies---that will help you dave some money!

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#14re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 2:34pm

go for DRS. Awesome show, cannot be missed.

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#15re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 2:34pm

Also check out what ever discounts are listed on Broadwaybox.com. And here's the link the the Rush/SRO policy on playbill.com:

http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/82428.html

". . . POP . . ."

bwayondabrain
#16re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 2:45pm

i got some playbill discounts i can post in a few seconds- i have some for spamalot and light in the piazza!

:)

bwayondabrain
#17re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 2:54pm

okay, well, instead of posting all of the offers you might want, just click on the link, and sign up for discounts on playbill.com!
they may not be huge discounts, but you can see which might suit you best!

Playbill Club Discounts

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#18re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:15pm

"Spamalot standing room--I echo the earlier comment on getting there by 6:00am"

I don't think you'd have to get there that earlier these days. I got SRO two days before Tim Curry and Sara Ramirez left and I got there at 8 am and was fourth in line.

And see Sweeney Todd it's the best show on Broadway IMO.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#19re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:22pm

I inquired about SPAMALOT tickets last week. It was 7:45 PM, and they still had standing room left and a few seats. It's not hard to get tickets to at all - which is good, because of all shows to get up at the crack of dawn for, SPAMALOT is the one that is LEAST worth it.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#20re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:27pm

"I inquired about SPAMALOT tickets last week. It was 7:45 PM, and they still had standing room left and a few seats. It's not hard to get tickets to at all - which is good, because of all shows to get up at the crack of dawn for, SPAMALOT is the one that is LEAST worth it."

That may be YOUR opinion, but some people still want to see it! You can't go wrong with most of the shows out there---everyone has their favorites!

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#21re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:38pm

See Sweeney Todd. I would also suggest Spelling Bee and Doubt. DRS is fun but really didn't stay with me after I left the theatre. I also enjoyed The Color Purple. Didn't see the dates you will be in NYC but if you are there when some of the new shows open, check them out. I am looking forward to 3 Penny Opera with Alan Cumming and Cyndi Lauper.

And yes, you can get T-shirts EVERYWHERE! I usually look for the stands that sell 10 for like 10 bucks or whatever the deal happens to be when I am there. Also, if you have a chance, check out MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) I love their 2 stores! Some fun stuff. Enjoy your trip! You will have fun!

Just give the world Love.

TheaterAddict7652
#22re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 3:49pm

I loved DRS, so I recommend it. I also agree with everyone else here- Sweeny and Piazza are must-sees.

There's a lot I am not certain of...

surefinewhatever Profile Photo
surefinewhatever
#23re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:07pm

Definitely see Piazza and DRS. About Spamalot, I dunno if getting there at 6 am i necessary. I went there at 8 am on a saturday morning with my friends and we all (there were 5 of us) got standing room tickets.

" I don't cause commotions, I am one."

greeneyed_one Profile Photo
greeneyed_one
#24re: 7 days to NYC...I need your help please
Posted: 2/16/06 at 4:34pm

I'm guessing Spamalot is not generally at the TKTS booth then? I'm going for Spring Break too.