Easy Lottos to Win

kyguy78 Profile Photo
kyguy78
#0Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 11:41am

I've got a group of students who are going to NYC next week for a conference. They want to see a show or two, but they don't have a lot of money since they are 15 and 16-year old kids. I told them about the lotteries and was just curious which ones are usually the easiest to win.

I know Wicked is insane, but what about the other shows.

Thesbijean
#1re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 11:48am

Hairspray is not too difficult, there are usually just enough tix for everybody there...

Fosse76
#2re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 11:51am

I "hear" Dirty Rotten Scoundrels isn't that bad either, but since I've never tried it I can't confirm. But Hairspray, generally, is easy to win.

kyguy78 Profile Photo
kyguy78
#3re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 1:20pm

Thanks.

thetheatrekook Profile Photo
thetheatrekook
#4re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 1:30pm

I've actually had TERRIBLE luck with the DRS lotto...true, not THAT many people show up compared to other shows...but they lotto off less tickets.

www.kickfornick.com

ashley0139
#5re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 1:55pm

When I went to Spelling Bee, about half the people one. Which is pretty good odds but if they do it together then it's even better.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#6re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 2:23pm

Depending on the night, sometimes Rent can be easy. Othertimes the Rent heads have come out in HUGE groups. I was at the DRS lotto one time and we grabbed a lady off the side of the street to give our second win to, because everyone in the lotto had gotten tickets. So sometimes I suppose it's pretty good.

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#7re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 3:07pm

Last week I won DRS lotto without playing. A friend an I went to get tickets and they had two pairs of lotto tickets left over (it was about an hour and a half before the show).

Whatever happened to class?

astonishing1985 Profile Photo
astonishing1985
#8re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 3:27pm

When do you guys go for the lotto? what time?

Hartt School class of 2010 ;-)

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#9re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 3:46pm

re: DRS lotto, I don't know what it's like nights/weekends, but I have never lost the Wed matinee lotto, if your school group will be free during the day (?). In fact, one Wed they didn't even bother drawing- I walked up to put my name in, and the lotto guy just had me go right to the box office.

SweetQintheLights
#10re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 3:49pm

I agree that Hairspray and RENT are the easiest to win- (if there's not a huge group of RENTheads.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

admanrich Profile Photo
admanrich
#11re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 3:51pm

Hairspray is incredibly easy. I went on a Friday night two weeks ago and everyone who showed up got tickets. Most shows you sign up 2 1/2 hours before the show (5:30 for 8:00pm, 11:30 for 2pm..) and the names are drawn a half hour later. Hairspray you sign up 3 hours before the show, so if you lose Hairspray, you still have time to go to DRS, Wicked, Rent, etc.

Rent is not bad.. I won it on my third try I think, but I tried twice during the holiday season right after the movie came out, so it was super crowded. I'd say around 50-60 people for the 16-18 names.

Wicked is definitely tricky... I've won twice, both Saturday matinees. On average, around 250 there per show for about 14 names. But I've seen it anywhere from around 150 to 800 (right before Idina left). Definitely have a backup plan if you plan on trying Wicked.

Spelling Bee is getting trickier because all the Wicked leftovers show up. Spelling Bee is the latest lottery, names are put in 2 hours before the show, and drawn 1.5 hours before the show, hence all the Wicked losers put their names in for Bee.

Potentially, you could do 3 lottos for one show.. Hairspray, (Rent, Wicked, or DRS), and Spelling Bee. You have a chance of at least winning 1 of the 3.

Also, rush is great. If they've got time to kill and don't mind waiting in the cold, Color Purple has first two rows of rush tickets for $26, but you'd have to get in line at around 9:00 AM for both shows because usually the people who miss the matinee tickets stay around for the night. Other shows have student rush as long as they bring some form of student ID.

Kitzarina Profile Photo
Kitzarina
#12re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 4:13pm

When I went I did student rush every time and it was a great, cost effective way to see the shows I wanted.

"You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" --Family Guy

"Shut up! It's been 29 years!!!" --the incomparable Patti LuPone in her MUCH DESERVED Tony acceptance speech for Gypsy.

Kitzy's Avatar du Jour: Kitzy as Little Red Ridinghood in her college's production of "Into the Woods"

ben1986 Profile Photo
ben1986
#13re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 4:22pm

How is the ave. q lotto. I'm thinking of doing that because I'ma student. is it easy to win. Plus and advice for the odd couple sro.

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#14re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 4:22pm

Is the DRS loto still for the box seats? I tried it the week after Christmas when the city was crazy. There were a lot of people there. But he said the loto tickets were for the boxes and I didn't think that's how it always was.

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#15re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 4:41pm

Do spelling bee on NON WICKED Days!

BluCat500 Profile Photo
BluCat500
#16re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 4:49pm

Is the DRS loto still for the box seats? I tried it the week after Christmas when the city was crazy. There were a lot of people there. But he said the loto tickets were for the boxes and I didn't think that's how it always was.

Originally lotto tickets were for Row A, but the policy changed awhile ago and now it is indeed just for the box seats.

So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life.~Office Space

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#17re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 4:52pm

The Avenue Q lotto only gives away 12 seats..so 6 names..I was EXTREMELY lucky when some guy only wanted one ticket, then the next name called didnt want the left over single ticket, then I got called and took it..front row at Q is definately worth it though :)

Good luck, lotto-ers!

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#18re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 4:53pm

When I saw Hairspray I bought a rush ticket at 2:35 ish for a 3 show and recently found out it was a leftover lotto ticket.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

children&art Profile Photo
children&art
#19re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 4:55pm

the lotto to get in my pants is pretty easy to win...

Don't f*ck with me fellas. This ain't my first time at the rodeo.

meagan9848 Profile Photo
meagan9848
#20re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 5:03pm

This thread just got me so excited for my trip!

3 days!

Idina: Somehow I got myself to the stage, came out at the end of the show, and I had some kind of closure.
Some guy: You looked great!
Idina: Thanks...I WAS SO HIGH! 8/21/05

Plum
#21re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 5:07pm

My experience is a bit dated, but doesn't sound like it's out of line with what happened to other people in this thread.

It took me 10 tries to win Avenue Q, so it's only for the determined if luck isn't on your side. On the other hand, I won Dirty Rottn Scoundrels the first time I tried- almost everyone got a ticket when I was there. I didn't even bother with Spelling Bee, because losing to someone who was only there because they lost Wicked might have ended in assault charges. So I just got standing room in the morning. :)

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#22re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/1/06 at 5:11pm

I am also going in on Wed morning for the mat shows. I am gonna try cancellation tickets on Pajama Game first, then go to Wicked lotto, then go for Sweeney rush. I hope so bad I will get to see any of those shows and considering it is a afternoon show on a Wed i think I will probably get one. Heres hoping!

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"
Updated On: 3/15/06 at 05:11 PM

SweetQintheLights
#23re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/15/06 at 9:52pm

I've got some questions that may be pretty stupid but hopefully you guys can answer them.

I am thinking about going to NYC on Friday.
I would be doing the lotto though.

I know RENT and Avenue Q pick at 6:00 and Spelling Bee picks at 6:30. Does anyone know any other shows that pick at 6:30?

Also, is it easy to get SRO tickets for RENT or Spelling Bee AFTER the lotto's are over or are they most likely going to be sold out of SRO tickets before the lotto?

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

rock00 Profile Photo
rock00
#24re: Easy Lottos to Win
Posted: 3/15/06 at 10:12pm

Okay, I know this is going to sound completely retarded, but I've never done the "lotto thing". Do you win free tickets to the show or do you just win the right to buy the tickets?

Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around...

Videos