All time great theater moments?

knows_too_much Profile Photo
knows_too_much
#0All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/1/06 at 6:50pm

Those moments in shows that are more than just your favorite, but are unforgettable. Whether created musically, visually, or emotionally, they have an affect that can only be accomplished through live theater.

My List:

Gypsy - after Rose's turn as the audience wildly applauds, and Rose's expression changes and you(the audience) realize that your applause ARE Rose's fantasy.

Ragtime - He Wanted to Say, specifically when it goes into "Two men passing...

West Side Story - Maria's final speech to the end

The King and I - After Tuptim has been captured and the King can't bring himself to whip her

Carousel - When Billy sings How I Loved You rather than If I loved you

Sunday in the park With George - Move On, when George and Dot sing in unison for the first time.

Cabaret - The Sam Mendes revival from start to finish. The show has great moments in it that exist in every production, (Tomorrow Belongs to Me, "She wouldn't look Jewish at all," etc...) but the imagery and the atmosphere Sam Mendes created in the revival elevated that show to a different level.

I Wish... Madeline Kahn could have played the Witch in Into the Woods. She would have rocked!

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#1re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/1/06 at 7:08pm

Add to the opening of 'The Lion King'.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Fabrizio2
#2re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/1/06 at 7:12pm

Statues and Stories from the Light in the Piazza-- when her hat flies in the air, and the leaves, oh I felt like I was in Italy.

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#3re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/1/06 at 7:32pm

The Impossible Dream sung by Brian Stokes Mitchell, sitting front row

peggyandvelma Profile Photo
peggyandvelma
#4re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/1/06 at 10:36pm

Seeing 42nd Street with my eyes glued to the man playing Julian Marsh as he sang the reprise of the title song. Then, on those last two words...he whips out Peggy's scarf. I wanted to cry. Great, now I want to go listen to my OBCR!

No one is alone.

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#5re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 12:08am

Whenever the day comes, 30 or so years down the road, when Wicked has closed on Broadway, finished all of its tours and sit-down productions, made the inevitable movie version and finally decides to release the amateur rights, I guarantee you local theater companies will be renting black-clad cherry-pickers to recreate the Defying Gravity sequence rather than finding their own ways to stage the number. That moment has become too indelibly linked to the song. The "Defying Gravity Machine" will be right up there with the plant from Little Shop in terms of theatrical rentals.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#6re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 12:18am

I doubt any community theater'll be spending 5,000 a night on a cherry picker. She'll probably whip off backstage and then reappear on a catwalk holding a broom :P

yr ronin,
joey

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#7re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 12:24am

By 2036, I'm sure we'll finally have those jetpacks they've been promising us since the '50s. If not, I hope they at least rent a lift from a local construction company... preferably operated by some guy in a hard hat and sweaty T-shirt.

It's the magic of theater, people!!!

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

lvpblues
#8re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 3:26am

The very beginning of Piazza as the harp glisses start in the overture and the lighting evokes a sunrise both visually and musically. And everything that happens afterwards...hehe.

There are really too many from too many different sources to consider here.

~K

broadwayboy430 Profile Photo
broadwayboy430
#9re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 4:04am

The Overture to POTO... it is so powerful in the Majestic when those LOUD chords play, and that HUGE chandelier just FLIES!
chills, chills, chills

Sant
#10re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 7:22am

THE KING AND I (revival) - seeing the London revival and hearing "Something Wonderful" for the first time. The arrangement was a bit different from the B'way production.

THE KING AND I (revival) - the finale. So beautiful. And so sad.

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA - the Overture. Seeing & hearing it for the first time was an amazing experience.

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA - the title scene. The whole scene was (and still is!) just so amazingly executed. It had me gasping for breath.

SHOW BOAT (Hal Prince's revival) - in London, the actress playing Julie got standing ovation in the middle of the show after she sung "Bill". It was such an emotional and powerful performance of that song.

RAGTIME - "Till We Reach That Day", the power and beauty of that song just blew me away.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#11re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 10:41am

SWEENEY TODD: The cast walks onstage and Manoel begins singing "Attend the tale..."

RENT: The start of Act II when everyone starts singing Seasons of Love to the audience, and there is nothing between them and us but the music.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

brad3 Profile Photo
brad3
#12re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 1:52pm

Seeing Draculas final performance.
London Mamma Mia! The sound went out.
NYC Mamma Mia! Watching people mess up their lines [Only cuz ive seen it so many times i would know]
Everytime i see mamma Mia the cast stares at me the entire show becuase i know them.
Seeing Eden in Wicked.
Going Backstage at Mamma Mia!, Spamalot, Fiddler, Wicked, Mamma Mia! Las Vegas, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Chicago, Aida, The Woman in White, Many More...

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#13re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 1:59pm

There's a moment in Piazza that kills ms just thinking about it. When the family assembles for the wedding at the end, and Clara comes out in her wedding dress and they're playing the glissandos, and suddenly she goes to her mother and says "I can't leave you." and then Margaret says "Yes, you can." and the button hits for Fable.

In any other show it would be such complete cheese, but I feel like the show earns that moment and it works so well on so many levels, saying so much about both characters in only two lines.

Oh, and include the song Fable in that... and then when Signor Naccarelli comes and takes her hand to lead her to the wedding... the whole ending of the show is just a killer. I want to go see it again now.

My other greatest theater moment is when Sweeney Todd discovers that he has just killed his wife and Mrs. Lovett freaks. Sweeney gets up and dances with her, and then throws her into the oven. This is the best part of the whole freakin' show. Sadly pretty much gone from the new production, but that's okay. It'll be back.

yr ronin,
joey

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#14re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 2:05pm

Joe sings "Ol' Man River" (assuming Joe is a great performer) in SHOWBOAT. 'nuf said.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#15re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 2:16pm

Well moments in shows in general, despite performers, etc.

All major "dance" songs in West Side Story--Prologue, Dance at the Gym, America, Cool, and The Rumble--the combination of Robbins' choreography and Bernstein's music is brilliant.

Les Miserables-"One Day More"-what is there to say? Amazing.

Evita-"A New Argentina"-the singing combined with the scenery was eye-popping

42nd Street-"Lullaby of Broadway"-when everyone comes together to sing/dance that number, it's great

Wicked-"Defying Gravity"-The combination of Elphaba being flown through the air, the lyrics she's singing, and the power with which she's singing them--briliiant.

La Cage Aux Folles-"I Am What I Am"-when done well, heartwrenching and inspiring.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

knows_too_much Profile Photo
knows_too_much
#16re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 2:24pm

Adding a few that havn't been said yet:

Rent - Seasons of Love Reprise when they reform the line with a spotlight on Angels empty spot

A Chorus Line - At the climax of One when they all back up to the back of the stage and pop thier heads

I Wish... Madeline Kahn could have played the Witch in Into the Woods. She would have rocked!

Sant
#17re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 3:00pm

In addition to what I've already listed above, the Number One for me is definitely:

Getting on stage in SPAMALOT! re: All time great theater moments?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#18re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 3:05pm

Rather than repeat my old clichéd answers, I'll post some of the new things that have really hit me in that "magic of the theatre" kind of way. Those moments that make you feel, sometimes viscerally so. Both from Doyle's productions, actually --

The final sequence/Judge's Return in Sweeney
Raul singing Being Alive in Company -- his performance paired with the absolute epiphany they've made of the staging of the song is... quite honestly, thrilling.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 4/2/06 at 03:05 PM

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#19re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 3:05pm

Those that I have witnessed:
Bernadette singing "Rose's Turn"
Prologue and Final of Ragtime
Sweeney Todd first preview performance
Caroline or Change "Lots Wife"

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

PerforMeg Profile Photo
PerforMeg
#20re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 3:20pm

Oooh I have lots!!!

-Lily's Eyes from Secret Garden
-The opening numbers of Cabaret and Chicago
-Pretty much all of West Side Story
-The bottle dance from Fiddler!!!!!!
-The moment in Sweeney Todd where Sweeney realizes that the beggar woman is his wife.
-The overtures of Funny Girl and Gypsy
-Heart and Music from New Brain
-The opening number of Bat Boy
-Guiteau's sequence in Assassins
-*sigh* Memory from Cats
-The lyric in Assassins: "While Lincoln, who got mixed reviews, because of you John now gets only raves."
-Say It Somehow from Piazza. That scene is staged so beautifully. They hardly even get close to each other and yet the sexual tension is practically suffocating you. Especially when they're standing at opposite ends of the bed.
-Alas, the Defying Gravity moment gets me teary every time. Yeah, yeah, hate me, whatever. I love it. LOOOOVE IT.

Swango
#21re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 4:35pm

The end of "Pride's Crossing" when Cherry Jones swan dives into the arms of the other actors.

TheaterAddict7652
#22re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 5:32pm

Sweeney Todd- The last 15 minutes of the first act- from the beginning of "Epiphany" to the end of "A Little Priest"

There's a lot I am not certain of...

LorelaiGilmore Profile Photo
LorelaiGilmore
#23re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 5:42pm

"Rose's Turn" sung by Bernadette Peters was already said, but it was pretty incredible.

"One Day More" and the Finale version of "Do you here the people sing"(is there a technical name for this?) are both pretty incredible as well.

oy with the poodles already!

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#24re: All time great theater moments?
Posted: 4/2/06 at 5:44pm

Theatreaddict - you sure you don't want to add Pretty Women in on that? :)

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Videos