Just saw "Liza With A Z"

jimnysf
#0Just saw "Liza With A Z"
Posted: 4/1/06 at 9:34pm

I just watched it on Showtime (east coast feed) and WOW! What a talent she was back then. I've seen her live many times but seeing here on this show, in her prime, she was something! I'll be watching it again during the west coast feed (8pm Pacific Time) amd I might even have to get the DVD. Thanks, Liza!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#1re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/1/06 at 11:36pm

I am so pleased that Liza, Showtime and all the other parties have made this available again. What a joy it will be to see. (Not having cable, I'll have to wait until my purchased DVD arrives.) Can't wait!!

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#2re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/2/06 at 12:12am

So, not to blashpheme, but did Liza lip synch any of this?

Sometimes, in her most exuberant dancing numbers, it seems like her vocals are clearer than the quieter parts where she's just standing or sitting while singing.

Anyone know?

ChrisLovesShows Profile Photo
ChrisLovesShows
#3re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/2/06 at 12:50am

Hmmm....reasonable question, jpbran, especially with the rigor of the dance numbers. This is purely a guess, but any out-of-breath vocals might have been fixed after the concert by dubbing in the studio, rather than during the concert by lip synching. Live (audio and video) concerts have been spruced up this way for decades.

"Do you know ChrisLovesShows?" "Yes. Why, yes he does!"

jaesdare Profile Photo
jaesdare
#4re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/2/06 at 1:02am

liza is adored by me

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#5re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/2/06 at 1:33am

I just finished watching and can I just say it is nice to know that one of my best childhood memories (watching this show air with my brothers and Mother)was brought back tonight in a really unexpected way. I was prepared to be just a little let down...not as good as I remembered it to be through the years of nostalgia that our memories have to be spruced up with. Prepared to laugh a bit at the silliness and camp. But none of that happened. This is one of the most entertaining shows I have ever seen. To not only see Fosse's work as the true genius that he was, to hear Liza singing and see what a great dancer she was...but most of all how she sells (I really hate that term) a song. Her thought process, her beats are all so clear. She is a great actress. Sometimes that fact can be overlooked.

And can I just say that I was moved to tears just a few times?
You young people that only know Liza as a freaky over the top sight gag must see this show. MUST. This is what all the fuss was about. This is one of the most brilliant live performances ever captured on film.

PEACE.

jimnysf
#6re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/2/06 at 3:31am

It's OK. I was moved to tears a few times and I watched it twice tonight! What a performance. BRAVO, Liza!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#7re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/2/06 at 5:49am

The show is sensational. The dvd is wort every penny. The best is the added "Mein heir" number. And the Q & A at the Toronto film festival is very interesting.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Cabchic
#8re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/2/06 at 8:26am

I just saw it for the first time and WOW, so amazing. As far as lip synching I was thinking about that too as after one of the numbers in the mini dress, which she is not holding a mike , at the end she does a speech and then needs a mike to do it. But regardless, still an amazing show.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#9re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/2/06 at 10:06am

She is such and amazing woman. I adore her to death and thought that Liza with a Z was amazing. I have full plans to buy it on DVD April 4, as the top ad bar is telling me.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

AuditioningWaitress
#10re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/2/06 at 12:16pm

I adored it! Plus I loved seeing Gwen Verdon in the audience...It was amazing! Can't wait to get the DVD on Tuesday!!!

#11re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/2/06 at 1:35pm

yeah. looks like it.

she didn't look miked at all in those heavy dance numbers.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#12re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/2/06 at 1:47pm

She did not lip synch at all. Two dance sections were later dubbed. Lip synching would have meant that she got up on that stage and sang to a track. She did not do that. What a amazing show.

Updated On: 4/2/06 at 01:47 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#13re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/3/06 at 12:54pm

Who is getting the dvd? It is worth every penny.

Updated On: 4/3/06 at 12:54 PM

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#14re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/3/06 at 1:03pm

I've been thinking about getting it... when was The Grove signing again?

#15re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/3/06 at 1:25pm

i think it's the 22nd of April

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#16re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/3/06 at 2:13pm

I haven't had a chance to see all of it yet. However, I mentioned to my partner that it's OBVIOUS Fosse was a very good influence on Liza's talent. Not to mention that the work of Kander and Ebb played so well into her strengths. I can't wait to see it all the way through. I remember seeing it years ago.

". . . POP . . ."

Magdalene Profile Photo
Magdalene
#17re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/3/06 at 2:23pm

It was such fun watching this! I watched it again Sunday night...

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#18re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/3/06 at 2:27pm

They are now working on re-releasing the "Liza In London" concert from the 80's. She was fantastic in that .

jasobres
#19re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/3/06 at 3:54pm

You know, I noticed that when she sings the title song, it was way different from the way she sings it on the album.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

Harpo Profile Photo
Harpo
#20re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/3/06 at 3:57pm

I was enthralled, enchanted and entertained. I am getting the DVD. She is so f'n wonderful.

jasobres
#21re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/3/06 at 4:37pm

Gwen Verdon was in the audience?!?! At what point can you clearly see her?

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#22re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/3/06 at 10:51pm

i saw the original broadcast and it blew me away. now, having heard JUST the soundtrack all these years, it was SO MUCH FUN to see it again. the FOSSE staging was wonderful. i'd forgotten that all THEM BELLS were being rung from various body parts. ha!

RIP glebby <3

itsmeeeee Profile Photo
itsmeeeee
#23re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/3/06 at 11:41pm

Man, is she ever hideous at the very beginning, in the dressing room? Unneccessary comments aside, what a great performance. I did notice a few parts where the sound was a bit too good to be true, not altering at all with her movements. I'll blow some hot air on the lipsynching suspicions, but maybe that's just Liza wowing me. Plus, i still howl with laughter at the whole "that's my hair, not a hat" thing. Oh, liza.

Jyn326
#24re: Just saw 'Liza With A Z'
Posted: 4/4/06 at 4:11am

I loved this! Thank God for TiVo and the Showtime free preview or I would've missed it.

REALLY enjoyed 'Ring Them Bells' and of course 'Liza With a Z'. I just sat there with my jaw dropped... amazing...

True entertainer!

Videos