Things that annoy you...- Page 4

Things that annoy you...

wickedobsessed Profile Photo
wickedobsessed
#75re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/18/06 at 5:56pm

When people are figity in front of me.
When people go into there seats and say "which one are we seeing again?"
When people say, "I fell asleep during that show!" (non musical theater fans).

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#76re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/18/06 at 6:06pm

Bravo and kudos to tz0o -- painfully honest!

It annoys me when I encounter people who complain about "people who think they know everything" -- I mean, of course, people who have the arrogance to act like they are the authority on subject annoy. BUT a lot of the time, the complainers insinuate that they know MORE than the know-it-alls, and that's just as arrogant. No matter who you are, you're experiance, you're education, whatever, there will always be more people who know more than you. Yes, you will know more than some people, but there are always more wise and knowledgeable people than you. I'll be the first to admit that!

Oh, and people who don't applaud at all. When I saw DRS a month ago, the man beside me didn't applaud AT ALL during the curtain call, even when the whole house was giving a much deserved standing ovation. I respect his opinion to not like the show, but to not even acknowledge the extremely hard work the actors, musicians, stage-hands, dressers, stage managers, follow spot operators, light board operator, etc all do is very rude in my opinion.

~Sam

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#77re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/18/06 at 6:15pm

A direct quote from a non-theatre-person I spoke to...

"Show tunes? What's that?"
"You know... songs from musicals..."
"OH! Don't you get bored?"
"No, not really..."
"I would fall asleep."

BroadwayNick Profile Photo
BroadwayNick
#78re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/18/06 at 9:46pm

When people think Andrew Lloyd Webber is the savior of musical theatre.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. --Dave Berry

JudasIscariot Profile Photo
JudasIscariot
#79re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/18/06 at 9:48pm

I don't like people that are always ragging on Wicked.

camthom Profile Photo
camthom
#80re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/18/06 at 9:52pm

Ridiculous threads that truly prove most of the people posting on this message board are ignorant teenagers.

and morally bankrupt composers.

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#81re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/18/06 at 10:10pm

People who think having a "broadway" voice is a bad thing. Particularly a couple seasons back on American Idol when Simon Cowell's favorite putdown line became, "Well, that voice might be good for BROADWAY, but HERE..." What does popular music have against diction, may I ask?

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

HatBoy
#82re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/18/06 at 10:14pm

Oh god.

Today, after reading this thread yesterday, a girl approached me on the busride home today. She's like, "I saw that movie.. Rent? I didn't really like it." .. "Okay?"... "Yeah I didn't really understand, they all got AIDS? That's.. exciting."

"Okay?"

I didn't understand what the point was, because I *never* talk to her, and the one time she decides to talk to me is how she dislikes something she knows I enjoy? Eh. People are lame.

THAT annoys me.

...now under the user "aawolfe".

pandajen14 Profile Photo
pandajen14
#83re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/18/06 at 10:36pm

The whole soundtrack/cast recording thing drives me nuts.

Also, I've got no problem with Wicked or the people who like it, but I do get annoyed with people who tout themselves as musical theatre "nerds" only to later reveal that they've never heard of "Gypsy".

And not really related to Broadway, but it's been bothering me: When people interview Heath Ledger/Jake Gylenhaal and ask, "What was it like to kiss a guy?" I just want to say to those interviewers, "I'm assuming it's the same as it would be for all the gay actors having to play straight!"

"Writing should be easy, like a monkey driving a speedboat..." -[title of show] "I'm tired of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and meet up with them later." -Mitch Hedberg

Stitch_Stalker Profile Photo
Stitch_Stalker
#84re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/18/06 at 10:39pm

Jukebox musicals. End of story.

But I also have minor annoyances for people who hate Raul in Phantom and are in love with the Phantom. Um, I understand the "misunderstood" arguement but seriously, he did kill two people.

Another major annoyance-that I can't convince anyone to come see "Light in the Piazza" with me when we go to New York this spring for a Model UN trip. They all want to see Spamalot. *Bangs head against wall*

HBG Profile Photo
HBG
#85re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/18/06 at 11:06pm

* People that hate Wicked just because it's popular (no pun intended) and say negative things about Wicked fans, even the ones that aren't 12 and that don't wear costumes to the show

* People that refuse to move their stuff or their feet out of the row when I'm trying to get by

* People that talk loudly during the show

* "I don't get how you can see the same show so many times"

* People that PM me nasty comments just because I disagreed with them on the boards, in a civil way, and made sure to point out it was just MY opinion...it's like, find something better to do with your day

* The "real" music vs. showtunes thing bothers me too

"Free from what, Tracy? Free from what?"

tz0o
#86re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/20/06 at 2:47pm

"I also have minor annoyances for people who hate Raul in Phantom and are in love with the Phantom. Um, I understand the "misunderstood" arguement but seriously, he did kill two people."

BRAVO!

Here are some Broadway characters who are annoying:

*The Beedle (Sweeney Todd)
*Madame Morrible (Wicked OCR)
*The girl in "Oklahoma!" who sings "I Cain't Say No" who's name I forget at the moment.
*The entire cast of "Bye Bye Birdie"

Any others that I forgot?

You insult me, I ignore you. That's how the system works around here.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#87re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/20/06 at 2:51pm

tz, I think you're referring to Ado Annie.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

mrslovett7
#88re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/20/06 at 3:41pm

-how people call you gay if you like theatre, even if they're joking it's so annoying.

-people who look at you weird if you are listening to showtunes. hey! it's a hell of a lot better than rap!

-people who sing under their breath during shows

-Mamma Mia

LyTeMyCanDyI , I'm sorry you had to put up with that, that really sucks. But congrats on getting cast over whoever that bitch was!

~H* "I slept through the nominations, as I always do. Anything I need to know, I'll find out when I get up at a reasonable hour!" -Michael Cerveris

SporkGoddess
#89re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/20/06 at 4:17pm

- People who mistake musicals and opera
- People who call ALW's Phantom of the Opera an opera
- People who think that Les Mis is about the French Revolution
- Eponine fangirls. I don't mean people who like Eponine, I mean people who are like "OMG COSETTE SUCKS EPONINE RULES" just because they like "On My Own." These people usually haven't read the book to see what Eponine's REALLY like, mind you.
- People who bash Raoul and also bash Christine for choosing Raoul
- RENTheads
- People who think that watching RENT is like a public service, as though they were doing charity work for AIDS organizations or something.
- People who say that Carlotta sucks in Phantom just because she has a more operatic sound.
- People who worship every Sondheim show no matter what, just because it's Sondheim
- People who NEVER get interested in a show until the movie version comes out, even though it's friggin' touring and everything.
- People in NYC who don't appreciate how conveniently located they are (I'm far from NYC so it's a bit of a sore subject for me)
- I'd like to second the thing with American Idol saying "Broadway" like it's a good thing. I always joke that they'd insult me by saying "Go be on Broadway!" and I'd floor them by taking it as a huge compliment.
- The constant pressure for today's young singers to push one's chest voice.
- The lack of legit classical soprano roles in musical theatre nowadays. re: Things that annoy you...

I have way more, but I have to go pick up my mom's birthday cake. Hehe.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#90re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/20/06 at 4:47pm

People who think less of others who have seen the film version of Rent, but not the show on stage.

People who think less of others because they love Wicked and probably have not had as much exposure to theatre, if at all, previously to seeing Wicked. Before Wicked, it was Rent, before Rent, it was Phantom, before Phantom, it was Les Mis, before Les Mis, it was Cats. There will always be a Wicked (or two) for every decade and every generation. Get used to it.

It's snobbery. I have friends at work whose first experience with a live musical was Wicked. They love it. They rave about it. And now they are interested in seeing more shows (and many have). And if I have a friend who loved the movie Rent, I tell them to check out the original version on stage because it's even better. A couple of them bought tickets for the tour. While the obsessiveness of certain shows can get a little out of hand on this board, I remember when I first saw Les Mis back in 1988 and it launched me into my love of musical theatre and I couldn't get enough of it. And it eventually led me to explore the art form and appreciate hundreds of shows. Wicked or Rent or The Lion King or Cats or Mamma Mia can do the same for others. Don't knock it. Just be happy that SOMEBODY NEW is excited about musical theatre and may buy another ticket to keep it alive.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

tz0o
#91re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/20/06 at 6:31pm

Amen!

You insult me, I ignore you. That's how the system works around here.

bwayondabrain
#92re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/20/06 at 6:57pm

i do agree with MisterMatt to an extent- I used to be obsessed with P.O.T.O. when I saw it, and I was into the whole "phanatics" message boards, AIM icons, the movie especially, got different CD's of it, etc. It was just the show that really got me hooked, so I guess you can't blame some people for the obsessions, which do get out of hand i must say, at times
but i get annoyed when people talk during shows, and people at stage doors who bring recordings of ancient shows which i've never heard about to get signed while im just sitting there with my playbill- makes me feel like an undevoted fan
:P
:)

sweetestsiren Profile Photo
sweetestsiren
#93re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/20/06 at 7:16pm

A lot of these are very valid, but the play vs. musical one confuses me a bit. I mean, sure, "musical" is more specific and probably preferred so as not to confuse people, but it's a musical play....

Hank
#94re: Things that annoy you...
Posted: 4/20/06 at 7:28pm

Traffic jams coming from, and then back to NJ.
And the high price of hotel rooms to avoid those jams.
Oh, and I hate Sunday mats, but I do it to avoid the above.