The new silver Sharpies

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#0The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 6:03pm

I am always trying to get autographs at my favorite shows and alot of time I will use a silver Sharpie. Lately I have noticed that the new silver ones die out alot or wont work all together. Has anyone else been having this problem? Also, do you guys know of any other silver markers that may work better?

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

Lamc16 Profile Photo
Lamc16
#1re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 6:07pm

I don't know the brand, but they make one that comes in silver and gold and they sell them at Staples. It makes a noise when you shake it. That was really vague. Sorry re: The new silver Sharpies

"You've gotta have a swine to show you where the truffles are."

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#2re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 6:14pm

Yes, they do run out, and a warning: don't use on a rainy, snowy, or cold playbill, the ink refuses to come out, but I use mine at every stage door, it just shows up better.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

craig238
#3re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 6:24pm

Keep them pointed down (so the ink is always flowing toward the tip) and try to 'start' it (a quick mark on a piece of scrap paper) right before you are going to use it.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#4re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 6:31pm

Gee, I thought only mine was doing that.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

Blue J
#5re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 6:33pm

I wish they made silver mini-sharpies. Mini-sharpies are my favorite, but come in the randomest colors.

FeelingElectric
#6re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 6:37pm

I have used the silver Sharpies twice, with mixed results. The first time I used one was at the Sweeney Todd stage door in February for a Playbill and the CD cover. WickedGeek is right, they do not work well in the cold and the signatures barely came out. The second time I used one was last week at The Threepenny Opera stage door on a windowcard and playbill.It worked perfectly in that instance.

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#7re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 6:37pm

If you have to shake it you probably bought a silver paint pen. I had one for the longest time and never understood why it didn't work.

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#8re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 6:38pm

mominator, that is what I though at first. However, I have gone through about 3 packs of these new silver Sharpies and they keep doing the same thing. I am very, VERY frustrated and considering writing to the Sharpie people.

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

Yankeefan007
#9re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 6:45pm

They HAVE to be kept upside-down. The most successful method is getting another cap and putting it on the other side and attaching it to yourself.

NJgirl
#10re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 6:50pm

the ones i just bought are fine....the ones I bought back in the fall and summer...i swear I got part of a bad batch bc they lasted for about one or two siggies and then died promptly. Im glad Im not the only one who has been frustrated with them. Using them in the winter is a no no though as they do not work when its cold. Definitely store them and carry them tip down to keep them from getting dried out.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#11re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 6:52pm

I realized that about the cold, too! When I saw Wicked in Feb., it was FREEZING. I noticed that my silver marker seemed to be running out of ink, which was weird because it was fairly new. Eden came with her own silver sharpie which she had just brought from inside,a nd it worked just fine.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#12re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 7:11pm

as long as they're kept upside down they work fine, except on my lsoh poster when one sig. cam,e out rediculously faint, the benefit though is when the light hits it it reflects enough to be visible.

on the subject of the silver and gold leaf pens (the shakey ones) i highly highly DO NOT recommend using them for signing, they have to be "primed" every often or they puddle out , and they take time to dry aka by the time you're done it'll be a big silver smear

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#13re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 7:36pm

I used a sliver sharpie to write something in big letters on a poster board and now the sharpie dosn't work anymore
Updated On: 5/3/06 at 07:36 PM

Marlene Profile Photo
Marlene
#14re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 7:46pm

Keep them upside down...that's what the instructions on the package actually tell you to do, I think that's the purpose as to why the silver sharpies don't have the pocket holder thingys on the cap.

Errrm, I don't remember the name of the other permanent metallic pens I use to have. I think I got them at Office Max or Staples, they have a metal shaft. Those are really inky when you first get them, but they run out quickly from disuse...

mrslovett7
#15re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 8:27pm

omg yes! I bought a brand new silver sharpie for $5 (i mean come on!) before Sweeney and after, Michael is signing it and it just runs out. he started laughing and scribbling on the back. I was so embarrased and he said, "hold on". he went inside and came out a minute later and used someone elses to sign it! I was like, "thank you so much!!" and he said, "Oh no poblem that happens to me all the time, i hate those things" hahaha it was so sweet of him!

~H* "I slept through the nominations, as I always do. Anything I need to know, I'll find out when I get up at a reasonable hour!" -Michael Cerveris

JustChillin8908
#16re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 9:25pm

"I think that's the purpose as to why the silver sharpies don't have the pocket holder thingys on the cap."

Mine must be older since they have pocket holder things on them. It's good to know about them not working in the cold since I live in Michigan...

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#17re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 9:29pm

Sharpies die really quickly, but I've noticed the ones that have the clicker at the top have a longer life than the typical ones.

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

JustChillin8908
#18re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 9:33pm

I'd assume they are also easier to store upside down which might contribute to why they last longer.

Do they have Silver clicker sharpies? Updated On: 5/3/06 at 09:33 PM

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#19re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 9:34pm

Why not use colored sharpies?

JustChillin8908
#20re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 9:38pm

because they don't show up on dark backgrounds

Parks
#21re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 9:39pm

For the black and white playbills, silver shows up very nicely (when it works) on the black part. Looks good.

I was wondering about this just today too! lol, I got one in NYC and used it to get signatures at Hairspray and Mary Faber at Avenue Q, and that was it. I finally tried using it during school today, and it barely worked!

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#22re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 9:39pm

well some posters are either too dark (3penny, half of wicked, beauty and the beast) or too busy (lsoh) for another color to show up

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#23re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/3/06 at 10:11pm

When I saw Chita in "Kiss of the Spider Woman," I brought one of those silver pens that you have to shake up like a can of spray paint for her to sign the two souvenir program I had.

Well, Chita, apparently, holds pens with a "death grip" (not unlike myself). She was signing the first one and had written her first name when the pen splatts out a big blob of silver ink. She had to sign the second one with a regular pen and write over her picture, which was the only not black place on the logo.

I gave my friend the one with the writing on her face and kept the one that read "Chita BLOB". It just seemed more personal...

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#24re: The new silver Sharpies
Posted: 5/4/06 at 2:03am

Wow, weird. I bought a silver sharpie...maybe 9 months ago, keep it in my purse, take it everywhere, and it still works perfectly/beautifully.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

Videos