Chicago Bee

brdlwyr
#0Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/15/06 at 11:34pm

I took my son to Bee at the Drury Lane Water Tower. He is a seasoned veteran of the theater, but I was worried about the Erection song. It went right over his head, so to speak, and he did not mention it and there were enough distractions during the number. My son was hoping to catch some of the items thrown by Chip.

I enjoyed Bee and was happy to see a packed house for a Saturday matinee. The show fit well in the space which I found to be very comfortable and intimate even though we were in the last row. My son loved it and plans on returning to do the lottery. (We won the Wicked lottery a few weeks ago.) He loved the I Love You number which is surprising considering it is the 11 O’clock number and there is no intermission.

The set, costumes, music – all well put together. My problem was that I simply did not care about a few of the characters and did not cheer for them to win. My acting and directing days are long past, but could this Bee the lack of combined experience among the cast? The cast sing, dance, and contort themselves with confidence, but as to character development, I am not so sure. This is a fairly significant production for Chicago and considering the amount of advance tickets sold, could the producers have sought out more local talent with more experience. (Here, unlike the Rent tragedy that played here recently, these kids are talented!)

Lucia Spina and Bill Larkin as the Bee moderators keep the pace of the production upbeat. As a former Bee winner, Spina’s Rona sets the tone from the beginning as to the significance of the Bee to the Putnam “community.” Larkin delivers the definitions and pronunciations with precision comic timing.

As for the kids, Eric Roediger and Derrick Trumbly reveal the insecurities and idiosyncrasies of their characters (Barfee and Coneybear) with aplomb! Brad Weinstock is perfect as Chip!

The audience spellers were very funny and hats off to the Bee staff that must do the best “put in” rehearsal around! The spellers seem to know what to expect for many of the numbers.

James Earl Jones II (Mahoney) plays many characters and is just hilarious as the counselor. His vocals in I Love You are outstanding.

I definitely recommend Bee for all and plan on seeing it many more times with the rest of the family! I am also very pleased that C H I C A G O has another H I T.

gumbo2 Profile Photo
gumbo2
#1re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/15/06 at 11:46pm

Did you see Jen Sese as Marcy? If so, how was she? She just graduated from U of Michigan and talked to us when I took my tour there. She seemed really nice, I wonder how her performance was, or if she's even still involved...

brdlwyr
#2re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 12:00am

She speaks six languages!

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#3re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 12:01am

"Brad Weinstock is perfect as Chip!"

I agree 100%!

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#4re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 12:17am

Is James Earl Jones II somehow related to the actor of the same name (which just slipped my mind)?

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#5re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 12:24am

Glad you and C8 enjoyed the show, Brd!!

I'm looking forward to seeing it a week from Friday!

brdlwyr
#6re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 12:24am

If you were the editor of Playbill would you answer the question? I would?

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#7re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 12:46am

What was the question?

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#8re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 12:49am

How many shows playing in Chicago right now?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#9re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 1:23am

Just two, Dame, now that Urinetown has closed. We have Wicked and Bee and that is IT!

PEACE.

respeck Profile Photo
respeck
#10re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 2:26am

Yes, there are absolutely no other theatre shows in town. Zip. Zero. None.

Fosse76
#11re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 12:58pm

"Yes, there are absolutely no other theatre shows in town. Zip. Zero. None."

Which is perplexing. What is thew point of Clear Channel owning all these theatres when they only ever book them one at a time? It's VERY rare that more than two of them ever have a show going on at the same time, and that's with the current sit-down of Wicked.

Brokenlizard14 Profile Photo
Brokenlizard14
#12re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 1:33pm

I'm very interested in hearing how Jen did as Marcy as well. When we went, we had Christine.

I remember James talking to us about the OTHER JEJ....I thought he said they were related but I can't remember how.

Brad Weinstock, and Derrick Trumbly are the sweetest guys. I absolutely adore both of them. If you guys hang around the lobby, the cast will come out. They're all very sweet and gracious. Bill is hilarious. We went for a school field trip, and my friend asked Bill to sign her playbill. He did, and when giving it back to her he said "Hang onto that. It'll be worth $4 on Ebay." lol

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#13re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 2:22pm

I saw Jen Sese as Marcy and thought she was one of the standouts of the cast.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

brdlwyr
#14re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 2:24pm

Jen sings well and moves well!

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#15re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 6:51pm

SOOO EXCITED!!

So yes, what is the deal with the stagedoor? How can I meet these folks? Where do I go? Does everyone come out?

GilmoreGirlO2 Profile Photo
GilmoreGirlO2
#16re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 7:03pm

Liotte, I know they sometimes come out the stage door, but I have seen more of them come out in the lobby. :)

I've seen Jen as Marcy and she's great. It's obvious she has a great voice, I wish we got to hear it more@

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#17re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 8:48pm

Yes, Jen is a great Marcy. And I remember reading somewhere (I think an article in the Tribune) that James Earl Jones II is NOT related to the celebrity.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

Brokenlizard14
#18re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 10:46pm

I think for the most part, they come out the lobby. When I saw it with our school's thespian group, all but Lucia Spina came out through the lobby. Of course...Derrick and I had discussed that. Idk. But I read an interview with Brad Weinstock where he mentions all the fans "waiting in the lobby for autographs and pictures."

brdlwyr
#19re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 11:38pm

L, It is a funny set up. C8 said that it looks like the Gershwyn. He is right, we walked from the Water Tower.

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#20re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/16/06 at 11:39pm

Thanks for the info, I'll be there!!!

brdlwyr
#21re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/25/06 at 10:17pm

Liotte will see our Bee, cannot wait for her thoughts!

liotte Profile Photo
liotte
#22re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/25/06 at 10:20pm

$#@^%@$!#@^#*@&*&^%@

My flight better get in on time tomorrow!

Brokenlizard14
#23re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/25/06 at 10:48pm

Can't wait to hear what you think Liotte. They're all fabulous!

bway_baby Profile Photo
bway_baby
#24re: Chicago Bee
Posted: 5/26/06 at 12:46am

Jen is really, really good and a really nice person as well. Derrick is EXCELLENT and I have to say Christine Werny is pretty good, too (went to school with her.) The whole cast is very talented and I would recommend this show to anyone.

Videos