Best Actress in a musical???

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#0Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 10:56am

Anyone disagrees with these actresses nominated for this award? 3 out of these 5 actresses won one or more than one Tony award. All of them, have been nominated at least once. why don't other actresses get a chance to be in this category. The Tonys are getting repetitive and boring. The same people over and over.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 5/17/06 at 10:56 AM

Kimmygonbefamous Profile Photo
Kimmygonbefamous
#1re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:04am

If an actress does consistently outstanding work, then she should be consistently recognized for it.

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you." - Maya Angelou

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#2re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:12am

Who else deserved a nomination, muscle? Besides Maria Friedman (who definitely deserved a nomination), the only other eligible actresses this year were Jenn Gambatese, Nellie McKay, Laura Benanti, Jessica Boevers, and Vivan Nixon.

In your opinion, muscle, who should the five nominees be?

In my personal opinion, I'd replace Sutton Foster with Maria Friedman...and I'd give the Tony to LaChanze.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#3re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:15am

I'm indifferent about Friedman's snub and Sutton's nomination. I feel like neither really deserve it. I'd give the award to LuPone.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#4re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:17am

Can't there be a special award for Laura Benanti and her outstanding talent at attracting those of varied sexual orientations with her "Unusual Way"?

It only seems fair.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

munkustrap178
#5re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:23am

Foa, I could not agree more.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#6re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:30am

re: Best Actress in a musical???

:threadjack:

So. hott.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

munkustrap178
#7re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:34am

Oh, God...

I don't know who was luckier...Antonio Banderas or all those women...

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#8re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:36am

"4 of them, have been nominated at least once."

Haven't all of them been nominated before?

munkustrap178
#9re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:38am

Muscle, you're an idiot.

We should nominate people that haven't been nominated before - even though others might have delivered better performances - just because they're never been nominated?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#10re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:39am

Yes, LaChanze was nominated for Once On This Island, Kelli was nominated for The Light in the Piazza and the other three nominees have won. Patti for Evita, Sutton for Millie and Chita for The Rink and Kiss of the Spider Woman.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#11re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:43am

Benanti didnt deserve a nomination. She didnt deserve a nomination for Nine. Her Unusual Way was terrible and cold.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#12re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:47am

Her "Unusual Way" turned ME on and I'm a straight female.

Seriously, I can't look at that picture at work. Shame on you for posting it.

How did we get on this topic again?

Oh well.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

munkustrap178
#13re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:47am

She greatly deserved a nomination for NINE over the forgettable and random Ashley Tuttle from MOVIN' OUT.

You have got to be joking.

Her "Unusual Way" is one of the absolute single greatest things I have experienced on Broadway. She took the song to an entirely new level - something that Rebecca Luker couldn't even attempt.

LeaGirl Profile Photo
LeaGirl
#14re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:51am

""Her "Unusual Way" is one of the absolute single greatest things I have experienced on Broadway.""

As usual, better than I could have said it, Munk. Score.

Now what would you say if today I started over? Without a thing but this taped together four leaf clover And I'll pretend like everything is already alright And I'll run toward the sun till the castle's out of sight

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#15re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:53am

Have to disagree...if I had to fill that spot with someone other than Tuttle, I'd pick Butler.

I thought her italian accent was the second worst on that stage (to Krakowski's worst), her interpretation of the song was cold and I saw no reason for that acting "choice." Perhaps I saw her on a night when she was pissed off?

My opinion.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#16re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 11:54am

Yeah, this all reminds me of those hacks Katharine Hepburn and Meryl Streep. Stupid Oscars.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#17re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 12:21pm

The 2 Best Actress noms that don't make a ton of sense to me are Sutton and Chita. Sutton, because it's really not a lead role, it's more of a supporting role. I think Sutton got lead because of her 'stature' on Broadway. Chita (I didn't see the show), but it seems to be that she got the nod because there aren't any Special Theatrical Event nominations and they wanted to honor her. What's up with the lack of Special Theatrical Event this year? Stritch didn't get a best actress nod for her show nor did Barbara Cook or Bea Arthur. It just seems strange. Also, Billy Crystal wasn't nominated for best actor in a play for 700 Sundays, because it wasn't deemed as a play. It was a Special Theatrical Event.

". . . POP . . ."

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#18re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 12:45pm

How can you say that. Laura Benanti's Claudia was one of the greatest achievments i have seen by an actress. Not only is her voice shockingly good it has so much depth an emotion that brings to mind a young Barbara Cook. Her rendition of Unusaul Way was one of the greatest moments I have ever experienced in a theatre. the character choice is exactly right. "Cold" becuase she has been used by Guido for a long time even though she might be in love with him and she is not willing to give all of herself to him. And there are some parts when she sings that I feel warmth not coldness.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#19re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 12:49pm

I'd replace Sutton's nomination with Friedman or McKay, just because I don't think her role was quite significant enough to warrant a lead actress Tony...

but I'd give the award to LuPone.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#20re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 1:03pm

By Tony time, I will only have seen LuPone, LaChanze and Foster. I see Foster on the 9th of June. But so far, LaChanze has my vote. She was simply wonderful.

Just give the world Love.

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#21re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 1:53pm

Sutton Foster was nominated as a lead actress because it's the only thing they know to do with her.

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#22re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 2:06pm

ummm . . . NOT nominate her? Why does anyone have to do anything with her? Yes, she's won a Tony and was nominated for her 2nd roll on Broadway, too. She gave an amazing performance in Drowsy, but that doesn't mean that your performance was better than other actresses or that all of a sudden the role is Lead status. I'm a HUGE Sutton fan and was blown away by her performance. Nevertheless, I felt she should have been considered for Featured but I didn't think she measured up this year in that category either. It was just too competitive.

". . . POP . . ."

munkustrap178
#23re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 2:07pm

Yes, she should have been featured, and I thought she was surely better than Carolee Carmello and Felicia Fields.

#24re: Best Actress in a musical???
Posted: 5/17/06 at 2:09pm

I have to laugh at the continued use of the word "snub" in reference to someone or some show not getting a Tony nomination. The people or the shows were definitely not snubbed, they were noticed and a determination was made that they just weren't as good as the other possibilities. The Woman in White wasn't snubbed and Tony nominations weren't withheld becayse it only ran a few weeks. It only ran a few weeks because it wasn't any good. Therefore.... re: Best Actress in a musical???

Videos