Sutton in Drowsy???

hahaha7
#0Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 12:58pm

was she lipsinging at the tonys because it sounds awfully close to the cd???

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#1re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 1:02pm

Lipsynching, and no.

(thanks)

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson
Updated On: 6/20/06 at 01:02 PM

teh_pretty Profile Photo
teh_pretty
#2re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 1:06pm

Actually, lipsynching.

And still no. :)

apdarcey
#3re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 1:08pm

definitely no. the only one who didn't completely perform live was john lloyd young.

munkustrap178
#4re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 1:11pm

He didn't sing live? What the hell?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#5re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 1:11pm

He wasn't performing live? Shame.

As for Sutton, I have one question. Near the end of "Show-Off" there's a bit where she sings "I don't wanna show off!" and then takes a drink of water. The line echoes as she drinks. I don't really get this. What's the joke?

munkustrap178
#6re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 1:13pm

She's showing off. She can sing while drinking water. It's obviously a big joke, just as Sutton isn't really spinning plates or tapping on glasses, etc.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#7re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 1:14pm

the only one who didn't completely perform live was john lloyd young.

Are we really still on this nonsense?

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Ready 2 Defy Gravity Profile Photo
Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#8re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 1:14pm

Me either, and how do they do the echo?

munkustrap178
#9re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 1:16pm

OH god. The echo is obviously pre-recorded. What else could it be? Seriously...

apdarcey
#10re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 1:16pm

someone else sings it.

i was out of the country until yesterday so i just saw my tape of the tony's. clearly he didn't sing live as there were times when his voice was singing and he literally wasn't moving his mouth. disgusting.

scooter38432 Profile Photo
scooter38432
#11re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 1:18pm

The drinking water joke stems from old vaudevillian schtick, where ventriloquists would drink while their dummies talked.

Sight gag.

Itty Bitty Geisha? Toyland? Gypsy Pasadoble? Just a few popular favorites...

mathewbrock Profile Photo
mathewbrock
#12re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 1:32pm

Someone else sings it? Absolutely not. It is clearly Sutton's voice. And that was the ONLY thing pre-recorded for her Tonys performance.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 1:56pm

John Lloyd Young sounded live to me. I was there and it was pretty loud. I seemed to detect a slight raspiness in his voice which made me think he was live.

Just give the world Love.

mijofly19
#14re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 2:00pm

John Lloyd was definitley live. He had the raspiness in his voice that he has had for all of their other television performances. Go to the Tony Awards section on this link and you'll see he wasn't lipsynching:

http://www.genuine-imitation-life-gazette.com/JB.html

firescape Profile Photo
firescape
#15re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 2:02pm

first of all we dont know if she was singing live or not. second of all she does pre record for the water moment. Everything is on a click track. that is showBiz. I perform in a state of the art theater. We all record all of our solos. If we are ever not up to 100% for solos they will throw in our recording. Its the nature of the biz. Everyone pays to see the same show.
second. Johns voice is clearly stacked on his own so it makes him sound stronger on top.
Updated On: 6/20/06 at 02:02 PM

neddyfrank2
#16re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 2:10pm

I happen to know that John Loyd Young sang live Tony Night. You can even tell because his voice sounded strained, and if it was recorded it would have sounded almoust PERFECT.

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#17re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 3:31pm

Parts of Drowsy's performance *were* pre-recorded. I asked a cast member, who said the portions were taped on the Thursday afternoon before the Tony Awards.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

PitPro2004 Profile Photo
PitPro2004
#18re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 3:31pm

Parts of Drowsy's performance *were* pre-recorded. I asked a cast member, who said the portions were taped on the Thursday afternoon before the Tony Awards.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium!"

neddyfrank2
#19re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 3:34pm

Which parts?

jasobres
#20re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 3:45pm

The ventriloquism part, obviously.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#21re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 7:04pm

probobly for the sake of time part of the "escape" bit was pre-taped

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

boxers7 Profile Photo
boxers7
#22re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 7:06pm

PitPro - do you mean the ACTUAL performance of just vocals?

"I don't wanna see that!" -Aunt Sassy (as played by Valerie Cherish) on Room & Bored

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#23re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 7:08pm

Sutton wasn't lipsyncing. When she hits the last off she sang some strange notes she doesn't do on the recording.

Also it isn't that hard to slip out the fals door and run behind the set.
Updated On: 6/20/06 at 07:08 PM

broadwayman
#24re: Sutton in Drowsy???
Posted: 6/20/06 at 7:14pm

the echo when she is drinking doesnt have to be pre-recorded, (it may be) but there is something called a digital delay, that they program and when she sings the "i dont wanna show off" right before drinking it records it and plays it back as an echo... so im not sure which method they use... but it is possible to do live and not pre-recorded...

Videos