pixeltracker

The Single Most Awesome Set Piece- Page 3

The Single Most Awesome Set Piece

theatremom2
#50re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/21/06 at 8:45pm

The last scene from Wonder of the World, well the whole show, actually. From the opening in a cramped apartment,the helicopter ride and the 3 restaurants to the expanse of Niagra Falls. It's my fav play ending....But for sheer determination I have to mention a Panasian ? production of Rashamon. Different locals were denoted by the bamboo listing one way or another. Apparently they had people crawling under the small raised platform that served as a stage to shift and hold the sticks of bamboo. If its true, that must have really hurt.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#51re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/21/06 at 9:20pm

i adore the "window" for the "oklahoma?" set in drs

also rocky horror's amazingly versatile couch thing

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

#52re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/21/06 at 9:30pm

i LOVED how the whole floor flipped over at the beginning of Rocky Horror- that blew my mind the first time I saw it.

I also love how the Tarzan back wall transforms into a "forest" when its pulled up and they walk through it- at that point, i wasnt expecting that wall to change so it was a stunning surprise combined with the lighting effects.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#53re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/21/06 at 9:30pm

The barricades from Les Miserables.
The light towers in the original Dreamgirls (they moved by themselves).
Chitty from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
The beach and water trough from My One and Only.
The huge mirror ball in Ballroom.
The massive moving bridge in Starlight Express.

musicalkid Profile Photo
musicalkid
#54re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/21/06 at 10:04pm

Javert Suicide in LESMIS- so simple and yet so amazing!
but all of the LES MISERABLES scenery is plain beautiful!

Beauty and the Beast (practically evrything-but especially the castle-inside-and during if i can't love her)

i also loved those rich ornated curtains in POTO- they made the show.

Bring Disney's "Der Glockner Von Notre Dame" To Broadway!
http://musicalkid.multiply.com/

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#55re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/21/06 at 10:58pm

I've always been pretty fond of Sweeney's barber chair from the original Broadway production.

The "Single Most Awesome Set Piece" I've seen HAS to be Chitty from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I mean, come on, not only is it gorgeous, but it sprouted a raft and appeared to float before popping wings and flying. Watching that car filled with Raul and co. heading up and away from the audience, appearing to REALLY be flying is an image I will never forget. I cried...I'm not gonna lie =)

MrBungee7
#56re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/21/06 at 11:09pm

Agreed, all of Pillowman, but especially the above sequences were brilliantly designed.

Also, the wood structure used for the revival of Assassins.

What's pink and green and flies all over?

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#57re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/21/06 at 11:09pm

Dolly's famous staircase.

Cenoern
#58re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/21/06 at 11:16pm

"also rocky horror's amazingly versatile couch thing"

The Rocky Horror ottoman, which is just simple, creepy, and cool. Maybe I'm a bit biased cause it's currently in my local theater's rocky show haha
Updated On: 6/21/06 at 11:16 PM

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#59re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/21/06 at 11:18pm

The entire Titanic.....

Celie's Tree in The Color Purple

Steph_DeVo Profile Photo
Steph_DeVo
#60re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/21/06 at 11:23pm

Not Broadway: The garret room and roof in La Boheme...
West End: Professor Higgins' house in My Fair Lady...
Most stagings of Les Miz: Javert's suicide off the bridge...

#61re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/21/06 at 11:26pm

The set behind the main characters of HAIRSPRAY during Without Love, where all the couples are displayed in different vinette-style cubes. Its used several times, but I loved it then.

The Time Clock Dragon from Wicked- when I 1st saw the show, I was in awe of that thing, then it moved and I was like "Woah"

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#62re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/21/06 at 11:43pm

This might not be a "set piece" but I love the whole park set in SITPWG. I love the way it changes from white into the park in the first scene. So beautiful. Plus I love the fact that they set designer painted the sets in Seurat's painting style.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#63re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/21/06 at 11:55pm

The mansion from Sunset Boulevard

SoulMadeOfSong
#64re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/22/06 at 12:10am

The one thing that comes to mind- The barricade in Les Miserables.

neddyfrank2
#65re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/22/06 at 2:39am

-The platforms in Zhivago

-The Mary Poppins house with the moving Attic

RentBoy86
#66re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/22/06 at 4:15am

The really high cluttered bookcase in the Sweeney revival. And the way it was lit from behind and certain things were highlighted throughout the show.

lifeisacabaret
#67re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/22/06 at 4:31am

singtopher- you are incorrect about the vegas phantom, there will not, as you say, be a fancy transition between the crash and masquerade, because the chandelier crash will happen at the end of the show, like the movie. It will be 90 minutes without an interval, and the crash will occur at the end.
Updated On: 6/22/06 at 04:31 AM

mirandajrs Profile Photo
mirandajrs
#68re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/22/06 at 7:27am

The ever-changing, neon colored office building from the How To Succeed revival.

Edith 'Little Edie' Bouvier Beale: Do you think my costume looked all right for Brooks? I think he was a little amazed.

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#69re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/22/06 at 11:44am

I really like the map from Wicked.
And I like how in Jersey Boys are doing the Ed Sullivan Show (Sherry) you can see them on the big screen. The whole view from behind in "Dawn" is also pretty cool.
I love the moving pilars in Light in the Piazza
I love the entire Cabaret (Revival) set.

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

Wildcard
#70re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/22/06 at 12:29pm

More awesome sets:

Titanic - I agree, the ship sinking was awesome. Poorly recreated for the tour though

Sunday in the Park with George - I love how the painting comes together at the end of Act 1

The Producers - Esp. the fountain scene and the swastika scene in Springtime for Hitler

Into the Woods - Rapunzel's tower rising from the ground

BNN
#71re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/22/06 at 1:19pm

The very intimidating shelf in the Sweeney revival and Oz's "head" in Wicked are two of my favorites.

Tick Tock

Jesus
#72re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/22/06 at 1:36pm

The Act one finale pinball machine in Tommy.

tgrabon Profile Photo
tgrabon
#73re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/22/06 at 2:55pm

The bridge in RAGTIME with JP Morgan and Henry Ford on top slowly descending and crushing the immigrants.

timmmmmmmmmy

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#74re: The Single Most Awesome Set Piece
Posted: 6/22/06 at 3:07pm

wildcard: Complete agreement with the carousel forming during the overture for 'Carousel' for NT and LCT's production...

What is the gargoyle that you speak of in POTO? was asked by someone...

The one that descends from the top of the stage, when the Phantom eavesdrops on Christine and Raoul after "Say You Love Me."