pixeltracker

Broadway stars and their real names

Broadway stars and their real names

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#0Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:18am

Stage names and legal name changes are a part of show business. So let's see how many we know Broadway stars and their real names

Nathan Lane's real name is Joseph Lane. When he went to get his Actors Equity card, there was already a Joseph Lane registered. He changed his name to Nathan because he loves GUYS & DOLLS and had played Nathan Detroit... but mainly because he wanted to be unique Broadway stars and their real names

Bernadette Peters was born Bernadette Lazarra.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS
Updated On: 6/25/06 at 11:18 AM

X x Fiyero x X
#1re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:20am

Idina Menzel-Indina Meitzel

PaigeByPaige
#2re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:34am

Elaine Paige ---> Elaine Bickerstaff

All the best performers bring to their role something more, something different than what the author put on paper. That's what makes theatre live. That's why it persists. - Stephen Sondheim

greenegirl87
#3re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:35am

Idina Menzel was actually just Idina Mentzel

"But now the air is filled with confusion. We replace care with illusion."

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#4re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:42am

LaChanze is LaChanze Sapp-Gooding

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#5re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:43am

Good to know she has a last name!

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

EponineAmneris
#6re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:48am

I was going to say, Idina merely changed the spelling of her last name... Thank you, greenegirl87 re: Broadway stars and their real names

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#7re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:56am

Ethel Merman was bron Ethel Zimmermann.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

azeller Profile Photo
azeller
#8re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:57am

Bernadette Peters' name is not from her mother's maiden name. Her name came from her father's first name, Peter Lazzara.

Her mother changed her name when she got her equity card so that she would not be typecast in only "Italian" roles. She also mentioned once that her mother thought her original name was too long to fit on a marquee...which is funny because her current name is only one letter shorter.

"Let's admit one thing right upfront: With the possible exception of Bernadette Peters, not everyone stays young and cute forever." (NYPost 2/2/05)
Updated On: 6/25/06 at 11:57 AM

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#9re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:02pm

Taye Diggs was Scott Diggs.

Phantomerik15 Profile Photo
Phantomerik15
#10re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:04pm

Are there any reasons as to why they wanted to change their names?

Back, he spurred like a madman, shrieking a curse to the sky. With the white road smoking behind him and his rapier brandished high! Blood-red were the spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat, when they shot him down on the highway, down like a dog on the highway, and he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat... (The Highwayman. Sung by: Loreena McKennitt)

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#11re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:07pm

Helen Hayes was born Helen Hayes Brown.

Meryl Streep was born Mary Louise Streep.

EDIT: Usually it's one of three reasons why an actor changes his/her name:

1) It sounds "ordinary."
2) It sounds "funny" or "odd" to most people, or is easily mispronounced.
3) It sounds too similar to another actor or member of an acting union.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 6/25/06 at 12:07 PM

EponineAmneris
#12re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:09pm

GUH! *hangs head* Oops... I forgot my Bernie lore for a moment and mixed up info. Should have looked instead of going with what I had in my head re: Broadway stars and their real names

Thanks, azeller re: Broadway stars and their real names

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#13re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:15pm

isn't michael Ardens real name Michael Moore. I know he picked Arden because of As You Like It

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#14re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 12:35pm

I know the story behind the whole Scott to Taye transformation, and its funny, but slightly embarrassing and kinda like an episode of Good Times. Lets just say his family and friends still call him Scott.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

astonishing1985 Profile Photo
astonishing1985
#15re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 1:04pm

I'm the only person who has my name. I used to hate it but now I like it cos it's so unique.

Hartt School class of 2010 ;-)

hushpuppy Profile Photo
hushpuppy
#16re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 1:18pm

I think Bradd Wong changed his name to B.D. Wong for his role in M BUTTERFLY so as not to spoil the plot twist. After he won the Tony, I guess there was no turning back

'Our whole family shouts. It comes from us livin' so close to the railroad tracks'

ashley0139
#17re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 1:23pm

If I ever get into Equity, I think I'm going to have to change my name. There already has to be someone with it- it's so ordinary.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#18re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 1:23pm

I thought Lachanze's name was

Rhonda Lachanze Sapp?

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#19re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 1:33pm

Can you imagine? Rhonda Sapp, star of "The Color Purple." It sounds so much more effective to say LaChanze.

...And Whoopi Goldberg's real name is... Caryn Elaine Johnson.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 6/25/06 at 01:33 PM

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#20re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 1:44pm

Ruthie Henshall's real name is: Valentine Ruth Henshall

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

sundaymorning6am
#21re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 1:48pm

Jai Rodriguez's real first name is David.

CurtainUp Profile Photo
CurtainUp
#22re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 2:59pm

Ruthie/Ruth Valentine would have been a cute stage name.

Rosencrantz: "Be happy - if you're not even HAPPY what's so good about surviving? We'll be all right. I suppose we just go on." - from Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#23re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 3:52pm

I actually emailed Actor's Equity a few years ago to check if someone had taken my name yet. No one had, and I'm hoping that no one will!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#24re: Broadway stars and their real names
Posted: 6/25/06 at 3:57pm

Maya Days' real name is Laura Dias (which was the name she went by while she was in Rent, back in the day).