pixeltracker

Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)

Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#0Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/14/06 at 7:50pm

I've heard that Renee Zellweger wants to be Sally Bowles in a Cabaret movie remake. What I haven't heard was that when this rumor broke in September of last year, Adrien Brody was in talks for the Emcee. However, all searches I've done haven't produced a thing about Brody.

Anyone have an inside scoop?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

C is for Company
#1re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/14/06 at 7:51pm

HAH. um, no. She was a suitable Roxie, can we please keep this woman away from even heavier material?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#2re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/14/06 at 7:54pm

He kind of looks like Alan Cumming, I guess?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/14/06 at 7:57pm

Yeah, I remember reading about it a while ago.

I wouldn't say Sally is that much more heavier than Roxie. Sally is definitely heavier in the acting department, though. Dance and singing wise, they are about the same. Updated On: 7/14/06 at 07:57 PM

C is for Company
#4re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/14/06 at 8:15pm

Yeah her singing I don't think I would have a problem with, it would fit that part about her not being a great singer. It is just that I find Sally to have so much depth to her and I hope she would be able to find that.

PersonofInterest Profile Photo
PersonofInterest
#5re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/14/06 at 8:24pm

Why would they remake it in the first place? The original is nearly flawless.

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#6re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/14/06 at 8:31pm

I, for one, think Zellweger would be an excellent Sally.

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#7re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/14/06 at 8:42pm

I think Catherine Zeta Jones would make a better Sally, with Cumming as the Emcee again, and Joel Grey as Herr Shultz

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#8re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/14/06 at 8:46pm

Brody as the Emcee? I'm intrigued. But why not get someone like Cillian Murphy or Jonathan Rhys-Meyers....or Peter Sarsgaard who can make anything better.

#9re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/14/06 at 9:03pm

Is Zellweger truly that terrible of an actress? I personally wouldn't love to see her in a Cabaret remake (then again, I don't want to see a remake, period) because there is a certain something about her that bothers me, but I don't think her acting would be a problem as much as her singing. Yes, Sally isn't supposed to be a great singer, but Renee's voice is so wispy that I don't know if she could even pull off the part.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#10re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/14/06 at 9:08pm

Why would they remake it in the first place? The original is nearly flawless.
I disagree. I know most people like it but "flawless" is a definite overstatement. I disliked the changes made from the stage show to the movie and wouldn't mind a remake that was more true to the original show. I also hate the original Annie movie for the same reason and was thrilled with the Disney TV movie remake (Carol Burnett couldn't make up for the axing of the best songs in the show and the crappy replacements).

I wouldn't want Reneé Zellweger as Sally Bowles, but a remake could be great with the right casting.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#11re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/14/06 at 9:19pm

Well I think the movie is brilliant in its own right. Bob Fosse made pure brillance with this movie. Liza and Joel were superb. Its one of the only movie musicals that can get away with being far different from the stage version.

For some reason I can deal with all the Annie changes in the original. For me it had a certain spark, the Disney remake missed at times. Ann Reinking makes the original movie a much better experience also.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/14/06 at 9:19pm

ga Updated On: 7/14/06 at 09:19 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#13re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/14/06 at 9:29pm

I didn't say the remake was perfect (having a very obvious Miss Hannigan show up at Mr. Warbucks and Annie not recognize her was a glaring misstep, though Kathy Bates' people probably had something to do with that) but taking out Tomorrow, NYC and replacing it with 2 crappy songs about the dog and "Let's Go to the Movies" ruined it for me.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 7/14/06 at 09:29 PM

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#14re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/15/06 at 3:37am

NO! Seriously? They're remaking it? I was praying that they would put it off for at least 10 more years....

....I wanted to be Sally. haha

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#15re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/15/06 at 3:43am

Arrgh.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
Updated On: 7/15/06 at 03:43 AM

dancingthrulife04
#16re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

dancingthrulife04
#17re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)

Stupid computer.

dancingthrulife04
#18re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)

Jeez.

dancingthrulife04
#19re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)

I think Zellweger would make a fantastic Sally. I don't particularly think they should remake the movie, though.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#20re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/15/06 at 4:12am

I agree that Zellweger could make a good Sally. However, it wouldn't make sense for Adrien Brody to play the Emcee, considering that the Emcee is supposed to be antisemitic. And yeah, yeah, it could add "new layers" to the character, but let's just keep things simple.

I would be happy to see a new movie musical, since the Liza Minelli version is VERY different from the stage production, but it would not do well at the box office I'm afraid. However, a TV movie might work.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#21re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/15/06 at 4:18am

Updated On: 7/15/06 at 04:18 AM

COOOOLkid
#22re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/15/06 at 5:10am

Lots of multiple posts, eh?

Anyways, I would LOVE to see a film version of Cabaret. If they went with the similar interpretation like Chicago did, it'll be so awesome! :)

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

Kringas
#23re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/15/06 at 5:25am

However, it wouldn't make sense for Adrien Brody to play the Emcee, considering that the Emcee is supposed to be antisemitic.

?

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

CompanyGuy Profile Photo
CompanyGuy
#24re: Well this is one I haven't heard...(Cabaret Movie Remake)
Posted: 7/15/06 at 5:35am

The Emcee isn't antisemitic. His character is supposed to be on the outside and always performing. He does not take a side.

SPOILER
He actually (in the original) comes out at the end and puts on a star of david. So, no...

The movie is a different event IMO. It is filmed in a way that it ISN'T a musical, rather a movie with music.

It will be nice to have a movie that shows the ACTUAL broadway show, which IMO is better. Renee could do well with it, but being an idealist I would love to see some broadway blood in that character.

Videos