Goodbye Hot Feet

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#0Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/23/06 at 4:46pm

Today is the last performance. Any thoughts?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#1re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/23/06 at 4:48pm

I love the way that I missed the fact that they even posted the closing notice...

Whatever happened to class?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/23/06 at 4:51pm

Never got to see it. Oh well

Poster Emeritus

muscle23ftl
#3re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/23/06 at 5:30pm

Was this the worst show of the season? the worst show to ever grace a Broadway stage? Any comparisson to any other flops of this past season?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Dannyarts
#4re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/23/06 at 6:07pm

the worst? Not by far. I liked it better than Woman in White and The Drowsy Chaperone.

And it played longer than WIW...

Yankeefan007
#5re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/23/06 at 7:31pm

I honestly think it was the worst thing I've seen. Just dreadful. Absolutely dreadful.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#6re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/23/06 at 7:35pm

I enjoyed the music and the band and vocalists were good. I tried to like it past those things but I found the acting to be so-so and the choreography to be repetitive. It is just ashame that they didn't come up with something better for the music of my all time favorite group, EWF.

Just give the world Love.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#7re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/23/06 at 9:34pm

I was there this afternoon (my second time...saw the first preview on 4/20/06). The book, costumes and sets are still awful, but the dancers were fabulous. Such a hardworking ensemble of dancers. I really enjoyed Michael Balderamma's performance and Vivian Nixon was stunning. She is so talented and I hope to see her on stage in the near future.

Maurice Hines gave a nice closing speech, thanking the cast, crew, ushers, theater owners, producers, Maurice White, Heru Ptah, his mother and brother in heaven and his father, who was in the audience. He also said that the show will be going on an international tour (we shall see).

At the stage door, the cast was more than gracious to sign and take pictures with the large crowd that was there. I also got Heru Ptah's signature (and told him i loved his book) and Maurice Hines' signature on my Hot Feet playbill and my Bring Back Birdie playbill. I also got Debbie Allen to sign my Sweet Charity CD cover. Phylicia Rashad was also in the audience.

Sad to see a show close, but hopefully these actors will be cast in a better show in the future. Good luck to them!
Updated On: 7/24/06 at 09:34 PM

muscle23ftl
#8re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/23/06 at 9:42pm

Danny, i was asking if it was the worst musical? It wasn't a statement.

WithoutATrace
#9re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/23/06 at 9:43pm

Oh and the worst show I'm ever seen is still IN MY LIFE. I doubt anything will top that.

tourboi
#10re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/23/06 at 10:45pm

This was the second worst Broadway show I have ever seen (the most terrible being ONE MO' TIME...*shudder*). Bad sets (that looked cheap), hideous costumes, nothing having anything to do with the other...direction was all over the place and unfocused. The "book" was tragic. The dancers were fantastic, yes. I'll give the show that.

But good dancers alone does not make a good Broadway show.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#11re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/23/06 at 10:46pm

How could this show go out with any dignity playing every week with 30/40% attendance?

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#12re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/23/06 at 10:48pm

Oh I think a show can and those dancers seemed to have a lot of heart and good for them. I hope that they keep on dancing and may they find more work in more well crafted shows

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

WithoutATrace
#13re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/23/06 at 10:58pm

Hot Feet never broke 50% attendance...and it was only 50% for its first week of previews (5 previews). The show was in the 40% range for all of May and then was in the 30% range for all of June and July. I'm pretty sure tons and tons of comps were given out as well, so the theater probably always seemed more than 40% full. Both times I saw it, the orchestra seemed at least 80% full.
Updated On: 7/23/06 at 10:58 PM

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#14re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/23/06 at 11:48pm

Excuse me while I pick up the pieces and move on with my life.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Wayman_Wong
#15re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/24/06 at 12:09am

True, 'Hot Feet' seldom broke the 50% capacity, but it should be remembered that they were in the Hilton, which has 1,813 seats. Last week, they sold 5,442 tickets for 37.5% capacity.

By comparison, 'The 25th ... Spelling Bee' sold 5,119 seats in the 684-seat Circle in the Square, for a 93.5% capacity.

Whatever you thought of 'Hot Feet,' the cast were professionals who danced their butts off and did it with dignity and heart.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#16re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/24/06 at 12:15am

Funny that Maurice used his Brother's name in his speech.
They didn't talk for years.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#17re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/24/06 at 7:47am

I think that half the problem for this show was that it was in too big a theatre. The Hilton is one of the largest theatres on broadway, so it takes a pretty big show to fill it. That's why I think The Pirate Queen will do well there. I think Hot Feet's chances could have been a little better if they had been in a smaller theatre.

The other half of the problem was that this show was just bad. I saw the tryout in DC, and while the dancers, singers, and band were good, the book was sorely lacking.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

Mattbrain
#18re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/24/06 at 9:26am

I believe its grave in the Broadway cemetary (it's a figurative cemetary) is somewhere in the same place as In My Life and Good Vibrations.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#19re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/24/06 at 10:30am

I wish they renamed the show HOT MEAT COLD FEET.
No offense. The dancers were incredible but the book was the worst I have ever seen. It made "In My Life" bearable.
But, I enjoyed the sexy male dancers. You could say a bit too much. They were steamy hot. My friend and I stayed to stare at the gorgeous dancers.
HOT MEAT, COLD FEET.

muscle23ftl
#20re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/24/06 at 3:15pm

Good Vibrations was enjoyable i thought. It was a fun silly show.

WheelsofaDream Profile Photo
WheelsofaDream
#21re: Goodbye Hot Feet
Posted: 7/24/06 at 3:27pm

I thought Hot Feet was enjoyably goofy. The worst show of the season by far was Lestat. It was so God awful I felt like I was trapped inside the theatre. I had similar feelings at The Threepenny Opera and Festen. I don't mind shows not being great if they're fun like this one, or like In My Life.

Videos