pixeltracker

Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?

Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?

Cruel_Sandwich
#0Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 4:40pm

It's certainly not brilliant musical theater but it's certainly fun and entertaining. I mean, it's just too good-natured and light and fluffy to hate.

De-Lovely is perhaps one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard in my life, yo.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#1re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 4:46pm

No. I'm not sure of the opinion of other board members, but it's universally known as one of the best scores written for the Broadway stage.

Personally, I think it's a fun score with some really nice moments.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

OOTI2004 Profile Photo
OOTI2004
#2re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 4:46pm

I think Anything Goes is great, it's a classic. Strangely, though I like the 1960's version (I believe it was Off-Broadway), rather than the Patti Lupone version. It has great music and a funny story. I don't see why people wouldn't like it.

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#3re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 4:49pm

I LOVE Anything Goes. I like the 1960's version too, OOTI2004. I love Patti but her version really never did it for me. The recording I listen to most though is the London Revival (I'm not sure of the date...) with John Barrowman and Sally Ann Triplett.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#4re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 4:50pm

I love ANYTHING GOES re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes? Reno Sweeney is a sad woman and I like the score very much. Patti Lupone, my dear, what is it with you and the name Sweeney? re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

Cruel_Sandwich
#5re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 4:50pm

People don't like it because of the fact that there is just about zero character development. That is quite true but it's just one of those Shut-Your-Brain-Off shows.

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#6re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 4:56pm

I love it. Sometimes it's good to not take a musical so seriously. Everytime I see the show, I truly enjoy myself, rather than sit there and think about inflection, and twelve subplots.

Its good to see a musical that does what musicals SHOULD do- suspend reality. I love this show, and, actually, loved Pattie in it. But no one can touch Merman.

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#7re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 4:56pm

I adore Anything Goes. Granted, I'm on the Kiss Me, Kate side as far as superior Broadway scores go, but Anything Goes would be towards the top of the list as well. I like the Patti LuPone recording the best. I just like that they included some more Cole Porter standards. It's a fantastic show. I think it is brilliant musical theatre. Of course, "Blow, Gabriel Blow" is my favorite song...

TabooPhan1 Profile Photo
TabooPhan1
#8re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 5:09pm

I love the show, I just played Billy a few months ago :P We did the 60s version, which I preferred anyway. I agree that the show is very simplistic and that is why so many people like it. It's just entertaining. Which is why I don't understand the argument against Wicked. Not attempting a thread jack, but is it really much different in genre? Just a thought...

I hold a degree in Musical Theatre from Montclair State University. It is useless. Now I'm funny for money. Oh, and I sing.

Ludlow29 Profile Photo
Ludlow29
#9re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 5:23pm

ANYTHING GOES features one of Cole Porter's most hit-filled scores. But--as de-lightful as it is--"De-Lovely" is not really an example. It was written for Porter's RED, HOT AND BLUE! (introduced by no less than Bob Hope and Ethel Merman) and has been interpolated in productions of ANYTHING GOES.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#10re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 5:28pm

Ok, um, in that case. Let's take a poll.

Who DOESN'T like Anything Goes?

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#11re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 5:40pm

I think it's fun!

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#12re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 6:12pm

I have no problems with it, and actually think it's a fun, enjoyable piece of fluff (both to perform in and watch). I actually prefer LuPone's version- I think it's a bit funnier.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#13re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 6:18pm

The 60's version is better then the LuPone version. It feels like a 30's peice written in the 30's. The LuPone version felt like a bad 80's remix.

#14re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 6:34pm

I like it.
I was in a terrible production of it my Freshman year of high school, but I like it.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#15re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 7:11pm

I love this show beyond belief! I was just wondering why there were no posts about it other than this one. The songs are so catchy. Cole Porter is De-Lovely!

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#16re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 7:12pm

One of my favorite scores of all time, and the first show I directed. Adore it.

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#17re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 7:15pm

I thought it was really really entertaining - I saw a production of it at a high school near by and although the lead female who's not Reno and a few other leads aside from Reno and the guy and the Gangster (sorry, I'm terrible with remembering character names) were kind of...'eh', I really liked it.

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

neocomposer Profile Photo
neocomposer
#18re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 7:24pm

I think Drowsy sort of touches on the "turn off your brain shows", and explains why we can still love them in the postmodern world. While I don't prefer to turn off my brain, I believe that Cole Porter was a genius.

"That Sondheim kid has a big future."-Nathan Lane

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#19re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 7:40pm

I've always liked "Anything Goes." I've seen both versions--the '60s Off-Broadway version and 1988 revised version, and loved both. The score is great. It's just a good time at the theatre--and we can always use that!

joshy Profile Photo
joshy
#20re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 7:43pm

Who doesn't enjoy Anything Goes?!

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#21re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 7:45pm

def. not, it's one of my favorites.

easily one of the BEST scores ever written - all of Reno's songs are showstoppers, plus De-Lovely, Easy to Love, All Through The Night, Gypsy in Me - book is not the strongest, but who cares? Tons of fun, and like I said, a GREAT score.

WalkOn
#22re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 7:47pm

Such an odd post to me. I am frequently asking just the opposite, " Am I the only one who doesn't like ANYTHING GOES?"

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart; and you'll never walk alone.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#23re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 8:50pm

I love it.

Everytime I see it I forget how much I like it. Very funny, and a great score.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

mike L G Profile Photo
mike L G
#24re: Am I The Only One Who LIKES Anything Goes?
Posted: 8/17/06 at 9:01pm

I agree with the commit I love "Aything Goes" each
time I see it, I like it more and more there is so much
of a great score in the origanal beleve me if they put
some of the original songs in, nobody would need any
more!

Videos