pixeltracker

LES MISERABLES - First Preview- Page 2

LES MISERABLES - First Preview

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#25re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/24/06 at 5:00pm

As much as I think the show is mediocre and past its prime, I'd love to hear how Gary Beach does in the best number in the show, "Master of the House."

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#26re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/24/06 at 5:39pm

So excited... im going this weekend! i've been waiting for so long!!!

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#27re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/24/06 at 5:47pm

Is there RUSH?

That's the only way I can see myself going.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

.LittleWing. 0224 Profile Photo
.LittleWing. 0224
#28re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:23pm

just got back. it was simply amazing and breath taking and in fine, fine shape. the cast is absolute perfection. i dont even have any constructive criticisms.... flawless in my mind.

.LittleWing. 0224 Profile Photo
.LittleWing. 0224
#29re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:23pm

double post.

Updated On: 10/24/06 at 11:23 PM

Julian2
#30re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:29pm

any noticeable changes?

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#31re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:31pm

What about Daphne?

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#32re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:51pm

Just got back (4th row center orch) - loved it - EXCEPT Daphne as Fantine was HORRIBLE. Is she sick? Did she lose her voice completely? Everyone sitting around us at intermission agreed. Someone went to check with a production person and found out no, that's her voice. Wow. I can't see how they put her in that part, "I Dreamed a Dream" was the abosolute worst I've ever heard it (have seen Les Mis 20 times now), was actually irritating to hear.

Also, Eponine was the BEST we've ever seen....

Just my (and wife's) opinion. Show was great, except for her. I was actually glad when she died, got her out of the show....

Ken

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#33re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:57pm

[i]I was actually glad when she died, got her out of the show.... [/i]

OUCH!!

Were there changes in the book/score? What about the set? Did it run long? Stop at all for tech reasons?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

theminutepast
#34re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/24/06 at 11:58pm

Ok, this is definitely an Eponine fan question: Does Celia do the kiss before she dies in A Little Fall of Rain, that almost-kiss, or just no attempt at all? For some reason, I find it interesting that some choose one way, and some choose another.

Jasmine U.
#35re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/25/06 at 12:06am

Hey everyone (I was in Row E, right orchestra). Celia did the almost-kiss where she reached up to Marius and almost got there but he pulled away. It was kind of hard to see from my seats though.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#36re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/25/06 at 12:14am

Kinda tired, so don't remember too many changes, but there were some. I'm sure others will chime in with changes. WE had a great time, and even after 20 times my wife was still crying at the end - so was the guy next to me. LOngest ovation was after "Bring Him Home", done very well in exceptional voice. I was most impressed with Celia, and also kudos for Norm on a great Javert and Gavoroche was excellent.

Also, whoever was using the camera up on the left (from the show) was making a LOT of noise as he moved the camera on the tripod. VERY irritating!

Heading to bed, back tomorrow....

chealion313
#37re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/25/06 at 12:25am

Some quick thoughts--it was my first time ever seeing the show and I cried throughout the second act.

The positive:

Alexander Gemignani is flawless as Valjean--his Bring Him Home was beyond amazing.

Norm Lewis' voice was captivating, especially during Stars.

Celia Keenan Bolger was wonderful.

Gary Beach was terrific--just completely wacky.

Many individuals who I'd never gotten to see onstage before stood out to me, especially Aaron Lazar.

The negatives--

The theatre seating--I know it's common in alot of theatres, but it was cramped in there--no knee room, and if you're stuck sitting behind a tall person, you're screwed. I had a guy with a fairly large head sitting in front of me and had to keep shifting from side to side just to see the stage and still missed alot. (I was near the back of the Orchestra.)

The biggest negative--Daphne. She was far worse than I expected her to be--She sounded like a dying cow during I Dreamed a Dream--totally ruined one of my favorite songs in the show for me and I couldn't wait for Fantine to die. Surely better people auditioned for the role--what were they thinking??

#38re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/25/06 at 1:28am

I work there on wed. nights and i get to see the show for free...haha i cannot wait

musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#39re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/25/06 at 1:40am

Daphne's voice is totally wrong for the show period.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#40re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/25/06 at 2:27am

Gavroche's "new" song is actually older than half the members of this board. re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview

It's "Ten Little Bullets," from 1984 or thereabouts.

Somewhere, James Fenton is cackling and counting his future royalties. (Unless he got bought off.)

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#41re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/25/06 at 2:36am

I saw a summer production of this put on by a youth theater group consisting of 14-23 year olds (with the exception of those who played Young Cosette, Young Eponine, and Gavroche) and was bored out of my mind. However I really wanted to see the tour, never got to, and now want to see it on Broadway.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#42re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/25/06 at 2:36am

My Brief Assesment:

Amazing/Stand Out performances:
Gemignani, Beach, Lewis

In-between solid and amazing:
Lazar, Galloway, Daphne

Solid Performances:
Celia, Jacobs, Ewoldt

Jasmine U.
#43re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/25/06 at 3:53am

Yes! I remember the lyrics to 10 Little Bullets being in the Edward Behr (?) "The Complete Les Mis"...

lifeisacabaret
#44re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/25/06 at 5:40am

How did it sound? What would you say of the sound design?

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#45re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/25/06 at 6:53am

I was thinking, if Daphne was so sick, why isn't her understudy on? She was THAT bad..... Others sitting around us were echoing the same sentiment.

HOUFlip04 Profile Photo
HOUFlip04
#46re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/25/06 at 7:54am

Any reviews on the ensemble? Victor Hawks as Brujon? Come on people, the ensemble is part of the show too!

This is Harvard, not a stripper bar...

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#47re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/25/06 at 7:58am

The ensemble was great - there was one guy I recognized - turns out he was in the final Broadway cast and the touring cast. He reminds me (looks-wise) of Nathan Lane.... He's very good!

theminutepast
#48re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/25/06 at 9:35am

I was worried that they would use "Ten Little Bullets." I don't really like it myself. I think it makes Gavroche sound more dark, which would be more true to the novel, and also as if he knew he was going to die, which he doesn't expect.

Lyrics (from the Complete Book of Les Mis):
Ten little bullets in my hand
ten little snipers neat and clean--
one for the king of this great land
two for the aristocracy
three for the bishops and the clergymen
four for the prefects of police--

give me a chance, I'll take the lot of them--
ten little chances to be free
Close your eyes, I'll say when, count to ten.

Isabella2
#49re: LES MISERABLES - First Preview
Posted: 10/25/06 at 1:29pm

with all these reviews of daphne, i might just wait until she leaves before i see the show.