pixeltracker

re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see a production of it?- Page 2

re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see a production of it?

tabbynyc
#25re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 1:12pm

"Spamalot".....that show makes me feel so good. I've seen it with all the cast changes & it is still terrific. The only disappointment was Lauren Kennedy. Don't get me wrong, I think she has a beautiful voice; she was just awkward trying to be funny. I saw her with Jarrod Emrick in a World Premiere about F. Scott Fitzgerald (the title escapes me) and she was excellent. Sara Ramirez played that part so well, I wouldn't have wanted to step into her shoes. I haven't seen Marin Mazzie yet, but I will.

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#26re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 1:26pm

Of course Annie as a kid, but the first I was obsessed with and bought my own ticket for was Chicago.

AudreyTwoTwo Profile Photo
AudreyTwoTwo
#27re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 1:33pm

Little Shop of Horrors. I am not seeing a production cause its no where.

I did stalk Hunter yesterday though, in honor of Little Shop. YAY!

The Best of Times is Now!

JLY's Jersey Gal Profile Photo
JLY's Jersey Gal
#28re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 1:40pm

Uh oh! Get it!

"Awww! Boo!"

wickedfanatic34 Profile Photo
wickedfanatic34
#29re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 1:50pm

i was obsessed with Gypsy starring bernadette peters. I had always loved her and dreamed of seeing her live and i went for kids night on broadway. It was so cool then i made a scrapbook out of my experience.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#30re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 4:16pm

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS was my first real love for a show, and just overall start of my theatre life. It is still is in my top few shows.

I'm not seeing a production of it unti next June,

I am obsessed with THE WEDDING SINGER now and am going in two weeks.

Allie
#31re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 4:22pm

Mine was Evita. It started after I saw the movie. re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see

I finally got to see a production of it lasst spring: pay-what-you-can night. I stood in line, outside, in the pouring down rain, for about 3 hours to get a ticket, and it was worth every second!

eatlasagna
#32re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 5:14pm

my first obsession (which actually got me into theater) was INTO THE WOODS back in 7th grade... i used to watch that PBS airing ALL THE TIME... then i discovered Miss Saigon and that became my obsession and all time favorite musical (along with Lea Salonga!!)... and if anyone knows if Miss Saigon is playing in Los Angeles or Southern CA anytime soon... PLEASE LET ME KNOW... haha... as for Into the Woods... i try to catch it here and there if a production is around (which is always) and i have the time to go see it... but Miss Saigon... i will ALWAYS watch it if it's around!

snl89
#33re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 5:19pm

hmm, the VERY first show I was ever obsessed with? I believe it was Annie :P

but the first show I was obsessed with that lead to my OVERALL broadway obsession? RENT :)

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#34re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 5:19pm

Into the Woods!!!! I remember dancing around the house singing the title number! Good times. I watched the PBS recording over and over! So yah, that was my first obsession :)

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

theatrelovr Profile Photo
theatrelovr
#35re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 5:24pm

My first broadway obesession was CATS..saw it 9 times. Just couldnt get enough of it. Dont have any clue whether it is still touring, but if it is, I will see it.

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#36re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 5:45pm

RENT and WICKED started the Broadway obsession for me.

Then Hairspray, and Tarzan, and Wedding Singer, and much more!

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#37re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 5:53pm

My first obsession was Les Mis. I was four. We owned the 10th Anniversary Concert VHS and also two of the film versions. All I would do for almost two years was dance around to the OBCR and watch those tapes. My parents thought I was too young to see shows live at the time (can't blame them, I wasn't too good at sitting for long periods of time). Then the obsession kind of died out, but the second I heard they were reviving it I popped in the 10th Anniversary tape and bought tix the day they became available. I'm seeing it December 2nd for the first time and I can't wait.

o.0 Profile Photo
o.0
#38re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 6:07pm

Mine kinda started out with Wicked when I was ten or eleven, but Les Miz really started my Broadway obsession. I'm going to see it in a week. :)

KaturianKaturian
#39re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 9:09pm

Strange enough, 1776. I got to see the revival cast, which was also my first Broadway show so it'll always have a special place in my heart. Of course, during that obsession I was also madly in love with Les Mis, which my mom use to put on the television when I was sick. I can actually remember dancing around my dining room to "Master of the House" (that and around the back yard singing "Cool, Cool Considerate Men" with my friend who was also obsessed with 1776. We used sticks for the walking canes, oh yeah). Fortunately, I did get to see Les Mis on Broadway before it closed (the first time) and this was years after my first introduction so ... yeah, I started crying during the overture because I was so happy to finally see it.

"Has anybody ever seen a drama critic in the daytime? Of course not. They come out after dark, up to no good." - P.G. Wodehouse

"What is love? 'Tis not hereafter. Present mirth hath present laughter. What's to come is still unsure. In delay there lies no plenty. Then come kiss me, sweet and twenty. Youth's a stuff will not endure." - Twelfth Night (Act 2, Scene 3)

Jade Profile Photo
Jade
#40re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 9:18pm

I'd say it was Cats, which I first saw when I was 4. That was the show that made a such a fan of musical theatre in the first place. Updated On: 11/4/06 at 09:18 PM

mangolana101 Profile Photo
mangolana101
#41re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/4/06 at 9:31pm

Mine was Phantom, when I was 6. My parents went to go see it and brought back the OCR and I was hooked. I've seen it 4 times since than, but I don't think I'll see it again, although it someone offered me tickets I wouldn't say no! I also was obsessed with Guys and Dolls through middle school- it was the first show I was in! Sadly I've never seen it on Broadway though. I would have loved to see the London revival with Jane Krakowski and Ewan McGregor. Since then I've just become obsessed with Broadway in general, and I plan on seeing as many shows as I possibly can!

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#42re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/5/06 at 12:30am

Has to be "Jennie" It was something my dad made a reel-to-reel tape of off a friend's LP when I was 4. We never had the LP, so I never saw even the cover. We listened to the tape at least once a week all through my childhood. But, had zero info and no one I ever knew had heard of it. The only thing I was pretty sure of the Mary Martin was the star. The other singers and the plot were a mystery. Finally, sometime in college, I found it in a used record store and put down $20 for it. The store owner felt bad about charging so much for it so he threw in Pal Joey for free.

I am pretty sure I will never have the chance to see it.

Duckie93
#43re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/5/06 at 1:27pm

mine had to be little shop of horrors, i saw it in the 5th grade and loved it

2008 Pirandello Players of SBHS present "Damn Yankees"

ICEcreamAssassin Profile Photo
ICEcreamAssassin
#45re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/5/06 at 5:18pm

Omg My first was JCS when I was 13.. I had renounced my faith but the story still moves me. I love how it broke through everything I saw as just religion.. I would sing Heaven on their minds and Gethsamene everday. Then I moved on to Dreamgirls, Phantom, Les miz, Miss Saigon. Its funny my mom had the JCS record in the 70's in Spanish (She was born in Mexico) And she loved it as a kid. So she took me to see the AD tour with Ted Neeley and we were both blown away. But JCS has this place within me that no other show will ever have.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#46re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/5/06 at 8:33pm

re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see

For me it was ANNIE. I started seeing shows on Broadway since 1972 (at 7 years old), so I had seen tons of shows before ANNIE opened in April 1977, but something about ANNIE just drove me bonkers! The summer of 1977 was a huge one for me, between ANNIE, STAR WARS and Son of Sam, it's still vivid in my memory.

I was only 12 years old that summer, but I was quite ballsy -- keeping my distance from the seedy 8th Avenue and away from 42nd Street. Does anyone remember the NYC/Times Square of the 70's? How I wasn't scared of walking alone at 12, I'll never know. I guess we didn't know it any differently from regular NYC, so that was the city back then. It's now gone and only lives in photos and in movies ("Taxi Driver", "Fame").

Due to ANNIE, I was a regular daytime visitor of the stagedoor at the Alvin Theatre (now the Neil Simon Theatre) on West 52nd Street. Bill Berloni, the dog wrangler/owner of Sandy, became a chum, so I regularly visited with him in the dressing room and upstair areas. Everything was so simple then, but that whole after show stagedoor buzz existed even then. I remember people upset that certain actors (Alice Ghostley, Dorothy Loudon, Andrea McArdle, Shelly Bruce) would sometimes skip the stagedoor and leave thru the front of the house. Oh, those memories.

Since I caught the show frequently, I have no idea how many times I saw the show. I can say I've seen EVERY cast change in the show, from Annie to Daddy Warbucks to Miss Hannigan.

ANNIE still remains one of my fondest childhood memories, and I still beam with pride whenever I bump into anyone who's done ANNIE on Broadway. It's great that Bill (Berloni) has nitched a career wrangling dogs for Broadway.

I was 12 years old when ANNIE opened on Broadway. I was 18 years old when it closed forever on Broadway.

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#47re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/5/06 at 8:36pm

Miss Saigon!

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

Dollypop
#48re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/5/06 at 9:14pm

<-----------------------

Ever since January 16, 1964. Still goin' strong in my heart.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

moulinrougehk Profile Photo
moulinrougehk
#49re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/5/06 at 9:23pm

Les Miserable. I was obsessed with the original London cast recording back in 1996 and I finally had the opportunity to watch it at West End 9 years later (with John Owen-Jones as Valjean, best cast ever!).

Somebody sit in my chair, and ruin my sleep, and make me aware of being alive!

AlmostFamous2 Profile Photo
AlmostFamous2
#50re: What was the first show you were obsessed with and are you going to see
Posted: 11/5/06 at 9:36pm

When I was little I was obsessed with Annie. I had the movie, and for my birthday on year my parents took my sister and I to see a production at a local dinner theater.

After that I think I had mini obsessions with the musicals that I was in (Oliver!, The Wizard of Oz, the King and I).

But like 3 years ago I started digging Rent. I saw it on Broadway. Then I heard about the movie and saw it when it came out. Then I saw it on the opening night of the US tour in January of this year.

Then in the spring I became obsessed with my new favorite musical of all time -- Wicked.