pixeltracker

Times article regarding eating in the theatre- Page 4

Times article regarding eating in the theatre

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#75times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/6/07 at 11:41pm

"Before you know it, we'll have peanut vendors walk through the audience during the show: One More Dawn, One More Day, One Day...Peanuts, get your peanuts!"

Seriosuly, LOL.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#76times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/6/07 at 11:53pm

See to me...what gets me worse than the fact that people can't go a couple of hours without food in general is that they can't go without food for a couple of hours so much so that they'll pay an obscene amount of money for food. The rare times I find myself starving at intermission, I run to the nearest deli/drug store for a quick couple of bites and usually end up saving myself $5.

Money is relative. What's an obscene amount of money to one person is mere pocket change to another.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 1/6/07 at 11:53 PM

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#77times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 12:04am

Money is relative Wanna be but it also gives people an excuse to say "well, I paid X amount of dollars, I have the right to bring it to my seat". I also think that the general theater going population (tourists) don't really see the value of live theater as opposed to films. For instance, many poeple I know when they inquire how often I go to the theater are curious as to why I don't just spend 1/3 and see a movie. They don't see the difference so of course they are going to act the same way. On top of that, theaters are encouraging it which doesn't help at all. I've been lucky in that I've only had one worst theater experience and suprise suprise it was at a Disney show (Mary Poppins) in which they accomadated the rudeness of the tourists and appealed to their every wim. I was afraid to say anything at first but if it ever happens agian, you bet I'll say something right then and there. I learned my lesson.

"Some idiot VP named Jim Boese of the Nederlander Organization is quoted as saying 'It's a reflection of changing audience habits. This is part of a broader attempt to enhance the audience experience'. "

Oh and I can translate that statement:
"See, the Nederlander Organization really doesn't care about what the audience does in the theater as long as they are paying roughly up to $120 per ticket. if they pay, we really don't care how they dress, what they do or what they don't do. Money is the only object for us so we will continue to put crappy shows on stage and not really care what people say as long as they pay".

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson
Updated On: 1/7/07 at 12:04 AM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#78times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 12:11am

Oh I felt like a traffic conductor before TARZAN began the day I saw it. People were whipping out their cameras and taking pictures of the set, of one another, of the theater, all out in the open. I went right to the house manager and made sure these people were put in their place. He spoke to most of them and some got bitchy and others put the cameras away. Of course throughout the first Act, they all started taking pictures again. This on top of the fact that it was TARZAN. What a crappy theatre-going experience that was. People feel entitled to do whatever the hell they want.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#79times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 1:36am

It's true. The sense of entitlement in this country is reaching epic proportions. People having conversations about extremely private matters in extremely loud voices in public. People stopping at the bottom, middle or top of staircases to light a cigarette, make a phone call or pack up a stroller. People fishing for their metrocards at the turnstile, rather than having it ready. People cutting lines left and right. Putting their feet up on subway and train seats. Hogging chairs in crowded Starbucks (and other cafes) for their bags, and bags, and bags...

The list is endless. And now one of the last bastion of civilization is falling prey to the almighty dollar.

I know I'm being cranky here, but JFC! - if they can't stave off starvation for two and a half hours, why are they coming to the theater in the first place?

Rant over.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

LostLeander
#80times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 1:45am

I saw Grey Gardens on Wednesday night, and we were sitting next to and older Husband and Wife, who thought it acceptable to put their feet on the seats below them, which happened to be open.

No only was he being extremely rude and disrespectful to such a beautiful theatre, he also had his SHOES off.

There was a woman sitting next to that man's feet, who I'm sure could not fully appreciate Ms. Ebersole while having to inhale Joe Tourist's nasty ass feet.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#81times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 2:20am

When I went to Evil Dead, they had concessions walking through the aisles, selling food, water and shots. Talk about confusing.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

kec Profile Photo
kec
#82times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 3:53am

When I saw Spamalot in London in October, there were ushers selling Spam sandwiches -- during the interval, not during the show.

Didn't get any takers as far as I could see. times article regarding eating in the theatre

musicalkid Profile Photo
musicalkid
#83times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 5:56am

I do not approve of eating at the theater. and yet-

Those little ice cream cups they sell at London theatres, are not ALL bad. of course it was better if people were satisfied witht their bottle of water, but those ice cream cups are the next best thing IMO.

an ode to ice-cream cups:
they are small and can be finished pretty quickly (even during the intermission, and they are sounless. no wrappers on, little spoon included. they are consumed quietly and undistractingly. unlike nachos, or whatnot...
i admit, I DID have one ice cream at one show (of all London shows i've seen), and that was... quite okay...

bottom line: no food. if food, ice cream.

Bring Disney's "Der Glockner Von Notre Dame" To Broadway!
http://musicalkid.multiply.com/

#84times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 11:19am

I really think eating can be rude, even though I sneak Redvines in the Pantages.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#85times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 11:28am

Everyone eating at their seats cannot possibly be starving. In fact, I'd bet none of them are. It's that as a society, we're conditioned to having a million things going on at once - we can't just sit and thoughtfully take in what's happening in front of us without eating, checking our cell phones, or talking to our friends/spouses/parents.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#86times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 11:31am

So right you are, Rath. The guy in front of me last night at "Piazza" was checking his blackberry throughout. I wanted to take the thing and smack him on the head with it.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#87times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 11:57am

That's a great and amazingly true way of putting it Rath. I suppose it's no different than someone so...starving for a message that they have to check their messages and respond during shows.

But for the most part, I am one of those people. I've gotten so used to mulitasking--studying while listening to music, doing HW while taking notes and participating in class, etc, sometimes I find it hard to just do one thing. Sometimes while watching a TV show I find myself having to doodle or something, even if I am incredibly interested in what's going on in the show.

But that all changes for me when I go to the theatre. There's just so much to take in and pay attention to at theatre, talk about multitasking. Watch the actors, listen to the music, listen to the lyrics, notice the sets, watch the supporting character being funny in the back while the lead is singing, etc. It's just frustrating that society acts in a way that no longer sees theatre as such a special event.

I've always been an advocate of dressing down in theatre, and though that seems to be the least of the problems, I'm beginning to think that if everyone once again dressed up, people would realize it's inappropriate to put your feet up or throw popcorn or drink beer and stuff.

Maybe more and more I'll think of clever things to say to rude audience members. If you're mean and clever, they get pissed, but they'll listen. My personal favorite if necessary: "Excuse me, I did not pay so much money to hear YOU sing, could have done that for free...thanks"

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

SporkGoddess
#88times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 1:07pm

Well, I'm hypoglycemic so sometimes I just have to eat (and because normally when I see a show I'm too excited to eat much beforehand) Usually I sneak some fruit snacks during intermission; I did that during Don Giovanni (I should also add that people were talking during DG's overture. And this is an opera! I wanted to shoot them.)

If anyone says that they can't go without eating I talk about the day I saw Miss Saigon for the second time. I have a stomach condition that makes me literally get sick when I'm overly excited for something, so the day I was to see it, I spent essentially throwing up. When I saw the show I had nothing in my stomach but a popsicle, and I was starving, yet I managed to not eat for the 2 1/2 hour show and then the half hour drive back. I mean, if I could go without eating then, surely people who probably have pretty full stomachs already can do so.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#89times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 5:05pm

It doesn't surprise me that the Nederlander Organization encourages people to buy and eat food in their theatres. Over the years I have noticed a distinct difference between the cleanliness and general conditions of their theatres and the theatres of the Shubert Organization. The latter are restored to their original beauty when needed(the Shubert and the Broadway come to mind)and are kept clean and tidy. I applaud their decision to not allow food in their theatres.Eating and drinking at the seats belongs at the ball park. It was unheard of during the "Golden Years", although audience rudeness with regard to talking has always been a problem. A retort that I once used when the people in back of me kept talking was to say to them, "I'm sorry, but the people on stage are making so much noise that I can hardly hear you." That stopped them.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#90times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 5:05pm

BUMP

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 1/7/07 at 05:05 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#91times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 5:57pm

"Before you know it, we'll have peanut vendors walk through the audience during the show: One More Dawn, One More Day, One Day...Peanuts, get your peanuts"

Um, I just said a few posts above yours that at my theater they're already doing that.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

i love idina Profile Photo
i love idina
#92times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 6:19pm

I was thoroughly annoyed when I recently saw Hairspray and the person sitting next to me was eating for the entire show. What ever happened to the whole night at the theatre where people would go to dinner then see a show? If you eat before a show and go out for coffee or desert after I don't see why you can't make it through 2 hours and 45 minutes at the most of the best entertainment that money can buy. I only get the chance to see three or four shows a year and sadly with the exception of a few great numbers that I loved in Hairspray my strongest recolection of the evening was the man sitting next to me eating very loudly a bag of M&M's and a candy bar.

Shirley Hemphill Profile Photo
Shirley Hemphill
#93times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 9:56pm

All those obnoxious FAT tourists most of you seem appalled by PAY your favorite actors' DAMN BILLS. Remember that.

Anytime I've been to London, they allow people to bring food to the seats and it's never been a problem for me.

LostLeander
#94times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 10:48pm

Well, you DO have Fat Albert as your avatar.

Personally, I think I have too much bloom.
Updated On: 1/7/07 at 10:48 PM

colleen_lee
#95times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 10:53pm

"All those obnoxious FAT tourists most of you seem appalled by PAY your favorite actors' DAMN BILLS. Remember that."

And they can still pay those bills without shoving a bucket of fried chicken in their mouth.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#96times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/7/07 at 11:13pm

I was once at a local production of the Brighton Beach Memoirs with my family where people were allowed to eat in the theatre... well my brother was making such a rucus(sp?) i felt ashamed that people (especially my brother) could be so direspectful to the actors... Ever since i have been morally opposed to food in theatres...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

Queenie Was A Blonde Profile Photo
Queenie Was A Blonde
#97times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/8/07 at 1:44am

"an ode to ice-cream cups:
they are small and can be finished pretty quickly (even during the intermission, and they are sounless. no wrappers on, little spoon included. they are consumed quietly and undistractingly."

While they may be the quietest food it still bothered the hell out of me. The guy behind me took his sweet time, getting it at the last possible minute before the curtain went up and then proceeded to eat it as slow as possible. Him scraping the spoon on the bottom of the cup everytime he went for a bite made a sound and it drove me insane.

"Dont look at me that way Your ears and your eyes Got used to the lies But you're getting the truth today"

"Ah the city. So many lights you can actually pretend one of them is shining on you."

CLIFF: "There was a cabaret and there was a master of ceremonies and there was a city called Berlin in a country called Germany - and it was the end of the world and I was dancing with Sally Bowles - and we were both fast asleep"

JustChillin8908
#98times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/21/07 at 9:15pm

"Or what about seats needing to be refurnished with those holes in the armrest to hold the drink just like at the movies.... (note sarcasm)"

Sorry for the bump... but the theatre for the Las Vegas production of Mamma Mia! has cup holders on the arm rests. It was kind of shocking.

Guillermo Ugarte
#99times article regarding eating in the theatre
Posted: 1/23/07 at 12:58pm

Having worked in the U.K., I would like to say that just because it is common practice in London for ice cream vendors to hawk their wares in the theater, that does not mean it is something we want to encourage.

There are Londoners who believe that the real theater is in New York and that we take our theater seriously here. I suppose I would have to question that these days but as someone who has to try to do the best show I can for those who really want to see the show, I find it difficult to ignore the crinkling candy wrappers, swirling ice cubes, snoring patrons, cell phone photographers, and those who share tidbits and observations during the show as if they were alone in the theater, rather than sotto voce.

Perhaps my opinion will raise some hackles but let me just say that to defend any or all of these behaviors (or the house decision to allow these behaviors)is typically self-serving. We have become a society that wants what it wants when it wants it whether it is appropriate or not and while I may have to accept that as a performer I do not have to agree with it or believe it is a valid position.

I'd like to think that there are still some parents out there teaching the next generation about manners and respect. As for the person who is hypoglycemic, let me speak from personal experience to say that, as you have said, you can choose foods that do not have a strong smell, foods that you do not have to unwrap loudly and foods that are easy to pop in your mouth and chew without bothering the person sitting next to you or the actors.

With what I have seen from the stage in the recent past, I would not be surprised to see waiters serving hot food and cocktails to patrons in their seats by next year. Las Vegas: Here we come.

"Always smile at your enemies. It will keep them on their toes"