Changes to CAMELOT

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#1Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 2:36am

From Playbill on Line: "Among songs cut are "Fie on Goodness," "I Loved You Once in Silence" and Mordred's salty-comic number, "The Seven Deadly Virtues."

"Take Me to the Fair," on the cast album but subsequently cut from the score, has been added to this revival. "They put it in the film," Casale said. "It really helps Guenevere — you see another side to her, and it's great."

While I applaud the restoration of "Take me to the Fair" - It does help advance the plot - but I am disappointed that they are cutting "I Loved You Once in Silence", one of the most achingly beautiful sad songs L & L ever wrote. And it does sum up the Guenevere - Lancelot relationship.

Elsewhere in the piece it mentions Act One is cut down to 1 hour 25 min and Act Two is just 45 minutes!

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#2re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 2:37am

Awwww...I loved Mordred's songs.

Akiva

toomeytwopiece Profile Photo
toomeytwopiece
#2re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 2:42am

Mordred's song is a fun song and cutting it makes the character an even LESS thankless role to play! That is a bad choice.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#3re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 8:11am

I'm not sure what the director meant by changes to the second act concerning the song "Guenevere." According to the stage directions in the original script published in the early 60's, seeing Guenevere on trial, her being led to the pyre and Arthur in the tower torn by his decision has always been a part of the show, and the Burton revival certainly staged it that way. And according to Lerner's biography, attempts to actually stage the trial as a separate scene bogged the second act even further while adding substantially to the running time. I'm curious about how this new production has solved that IF they are adding an actual trial scene.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
Updated On: 1/12/07 at 08:11 AM

Gothampc
#4re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 8:24am

I'm also disappointed that they cut "I Loved You Once in Silence." It really has become a classic song and one of the reasons people go to see the show.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 1/12/07 at 08:24 AM

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#5re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 8:40am

I actually agree with the cutting of "I Loved you Once in Silence" - "Before I Gaze at You Again" basically says the exact same thing and is a far superior more emotionally driven song.

The only problem I see with this production is the casting: everyone is way too old for these roles - especially Michael York.

Gothampc
#6re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 9:00am

"The only problem I see with this production is the casting: everyone is way too old for these roles"

Obviously you missed Richard Burton doing it at 55 and Richard Harris at 52+++.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#7re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 9:05am

I find it absurd that any numbers are cut from CAMELOT. All it really has going to it, is its score. However, if you have to cut, then I agree, 'Silence' over "Before I Gaze At You Again."

lovesclassics
#8re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 9:09am

Why don't we wait till we see it, hmm? Everything in context.

lc

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#9re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 9:11am

Ah, Burton and Harris were mere babes compared to York, soon to be 65. (Though their years of heavy drinking made them look older than they were.)

The oddest thing, and it may just be a misleading choice of wording, is that it sounds like "Guenevere" will be the final song. Much as I think the show actually could use intelligent revision (though I also think the problems are probably unsolvable), one thing that the original version got surpassingly right is that final scene.
Updated On: 1/12/07 at 09:11 AM

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#10re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 9:30am

I thought I'd repost, with a couple of small changes, an old post of mine from an earlier thread about this production:

I would guess that this production will be using parts of the revision that Lerner created for the Burton revival, which was then used when Harris did it and probably when Goulet did it, in which (as in the film) the bulk of the show is a flashback. It helps a bit to justify an older Arthur.

But still it seems to me that the first scene only makes sense if Arthur is not much older than Guenevere. In the show, Arthur was crowned as king when he was a teenager. Well, at least I think that's the idea, no age is given, but he tells the sword in the stone story. It sounds like he was pretty young when that happened.

Also, the way he talks to Merlyn and the way Merlyn talks to him in the first scene, the fact that he hides in a tree, and the way Guenevere flirts with him before she knows who he is all suggest that he's young. I don't think she'd suggest that he run away with her if he were 45. And she might wonder why a man of 45 still had a teacher, as he himself describes Merlyn to her.

There is one thing in the show that suggests that he might be older and that is the story that Mordred tells about how his father hated him so much because his true father is Arthur that his father gave him a potion when he was 9 to make him 10 years younger. This would mean that Arthur would have had sex with Mordred's mother at least . . . oh, 26, 27 years before. I don't think you can play Mordred much younger than 16 or 17, though around that age does make sense to me.

Even if you want to take that story seriously as a clue to Arthur's age, Mordred does say that his mother described Arthur as having been an "attractive lad" when she met him. so he might have been no more than 14 or 15. Wouldn't be unheard of. It's the middle ages, after all.

Still, I think that the whole show (which is problematic in the writing, after all) makes most sense if Arthur seems quite young at the beginning and even fairly young at the end. These are youngish people dealing with huge problems as best they can and feeling inadequate to the challenge.

singingshowgirl Profile Photo
singingshowgirl
#11re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 10:04am

my friend at school JUST got into the national tour of this. we are all so excited!

misto625 Profile Photo
misto625
#12re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 1:23pm

Wow I don't know if I like the cuts. I like long shows so that I get my money's worth, not short ones. I'm just glad that James Barbour is still playing Lancelot. I was worried after he was arrested that he would have to drop out.

Dean: Can I tell you something? Lorraine: That depends on what it is. Dean: I think you're really really pretty. Lorraine: (after a pause) Ok, you can tell me that.

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#13re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 3:07pm

I don't think I will care for the cuts either. "I Loved You Once In Silence" is my favourite song in that show.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#14re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 3:41pm

one thing that the original version got surpassingly right is that final scene

Well, having seen the original, I can state that they also got the cast right! It remains the single greatest cast of any show, I've ever seen; and that includes MY FAIR LADY.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#15re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 3:55pm

When I did the show, we started out doing the whole thing as written, but during our run we ended up cutting things, bit by bit.

It's too dang long in its entirety for most audiences (today or any day).

Something like 3 1/2 hours, as I recall.

"Gone With the King"

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22
Updated On: 1/12/07 at 03:55 PM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#16re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 3:55pm

"I Love You Once in Silence" is cut? Wow, that makes no sense. As a gay male, I've always been drawn to that lovely, fragile song.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#17re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 3:56pm

I agree...

That's not the one to cut.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#18re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 4:03pm

Count me among the Mordred fans. Why cut his stuff? There's other boring things in the show.

So if James Barbour can do this while awaiting trial or whatnot, what happened to 'Tale of Two Cities'?

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#19re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 4:08pm

>> Still, I think that the whole show (which is problematic in the writing, after all) makes most sense if Arthur seems quite young at the beginning and even fairly young at the end. These are youngish people dealing with huge problems as best they can and feeling inadequate to the challenge.

... save that one of the points of the TH White novels that CAMELOT is based on is that these people are looking back on the failures of their lives. Yes, Arthur is young in the opening scene, probably not more than 18 (if White's source material is being used), but he's considerably older in the final scene, because many years have passed. The play is vague on the timeline, but again, if we look at White's books, Arthur was perhaps 50 when he fought the final battle with Mordred.

I think it's important that we see these people age and become more and more aware of the consequences of their actions.

http://docandraider.com

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#20re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 4:15pm

I'm going to the premiere on Saturday in La Mirada, CA. As much as I will miss "I loved you once in Silence", I trust Glen Casale's instincts with the material. His Peter Pan revival was very good and he directed the best production of Anything Goes I've ever seen (infinitely better than the Trevor Nunn revival)- a production which starred Rachel York as Reno.

Most of you may have never heard of Eric Anderson who will be playing Merlyn but he's an amazing performer.

Don't be surprised if this production ends up going to Broadway for a limited run. The Nederlanders put money into the production and they will take it to Broadway for a limited run if the reviews are raves.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

lovesclassics
#21re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 4:21pm

Thanks for the insights, BroadwayBaby6. You must promise to post your review!

Thanks.

LC

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#22re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 6:19pm

RARGH! Those are three of my favourite songs. Did they cast a Mordred who couldn't sing or something? re: Changes to CAMELOT

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#23re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 6:49pm

Sounds like the cutting would make it ready to open in Vegas

Poster Emeritus

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#24re: Changes to CAMELOT
Posted: 1/12/07 at 6:55pm

Shannon Stoeke who plays Mordred can sing and well! He played Tom Sawyer in Paper Mill.

The cuts were made because the songs did not advance the plot. As you know, very often good songs are cut from shows because they don't advance the plot.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"