Dorothy Loudon

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#1Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:34am

I just watched her perform "Fifty Percent" on a DVD of a Leading Ladies Concert at Carnegie Hall.

She made me cry.

What a first class performer and woman.

When you talk about underappreciated performers, I don't think anyone tops the list more than Loudon. She was a gem.

I would have loved to meet her.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

neelyohara Profile Photo
neelyohara
#2re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:51am

I LOVE her performance of "Fifty Percent" on the Leading Ladies DVD. It made me cry, too. Totally brilliant.

Not today, Geraldine.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#2re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 7:34am

Her performance on the Sondheim at Carnegie Hall concert DVD is fantastic, she sings Losing My Mind and combines it with You Could Drive A Person Crazy...it goes from being hauntingly touching, to being brilliantly hilarious...she really was a gem, as you say.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#3re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 7:57am

She also has a small role in a wonderful film, Garbo Talks. I'm not sure, but I don't think this has made it to DVD yet. What a shame, she was a true great.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

mattonstage
#4re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 7:57am

She also has a small role in a wonderful film, Garbo Talks. I'm not sure, but I don't think this has made it to DVD yet. What a shame, she was a true great.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#5re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 8:11am

She was also a terrific Mrs. Lovett in SWEENEY TODD. Very different than Lansbury, but equally as funny.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

mattonstage
#6re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 8:13am

Oh, how I wish I could have seen her on stage.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#7re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 8:29am

Underrated? Really? I think she was quite highly appreciated and beloved.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#8re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:44pm

I agree Raithnait62! The theatrical community was quite aware and appreciative of her extraordinary talent.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#9re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:55pm

I dearly loved Dorothy Loudon. I saw her three times on stage.
Broadway: Noises Off and Jerry's Girls. In the latter she sang Time Heals Everything. Wonderful.
In Chicago: Driving Miss Daisy. One of the best performances I have ever seen.
Anyone else remember her short-lived tv show called Dorothy. Russell Nype was also in it.

LouW95
#10re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 1:04pm

I first saw Dorothy Loudon when she became a replacement for Carol Burnett on the Gary Moore TV show (1962-64) A full list of her credits are at: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0521702/

Danielm
#11re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 1:21pm

I agree that she was brilliant and certainly not underrated. Maybe people think that because most of the shows she was in flopped--I think her first hit was Annie that she was underrated but she was always considered the best thing in all her shows. My earliest memories of her are from television--I remember a talk show-- Mike Douglas? Merv Griffin? Where she started singing "Hard Hearted Hannah" from her seat and then stood up and sang it out. She was amazing. My dad always liked it when she sang "We're All Behind You President Dewey". (Am I the oldest one in the room?)

Yes, we do need a third vampire musical.--Little Sally, Gypsy of the Year 2005.

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#12re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 2:52pm

I too enjoyed Garbo Talks. I think it's a sweet little movie. I'm sad that she had to leave the cast for Dinner at Eight. She would have been so much better as Carlotta Vance than Marion Seldes was. Seldes is too much of a lady, whereas Dorothy Loudon would have played her as a broad, the way Marie Dressler did in the movie.

Lauren Bacall plays her in the TV remake, and there, too, she's too much of a lady.
Carlotta is loud and brassy. Think how marvelous Dorothy Loudon would have been in that production!

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan
Updated On: 1/26/07 at 02:52 PM

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#13re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 2:56pm

Does anyone remember her being on the Tonight Show singing a song called "There Ain't Gonna Be No New Songs on This Old Piano of Mine"? God, it was great!!

Ciaron McCarthy
#14re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 3:04pm

I too enjoyed Garbo Talks. I think it's a swet little movie.

Ever hear the rumor that Garbo was actually in the film?

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#15re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 3:06pm

I love Dorothy Loudon ever since I saw her perform on the Sondheim Celebration at Carnegie Hall DVD. It's magnificent to see how she seamlessly alternates between the haunting "Losing My Mind" to the comedic tones of "You Could Drive A Person Crazy," I've never seen anyone do that with such perfection and in a way that seems effortless.
Did she ever starred a production of The Apple Tree? She seems like she would've been devine headlining that show, Barbara Harris' voice during "Gorgeous" reminds me a bit of Loudon's brilliant comic vocals.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#16re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 3:17pm

Publicity still from Dorothy sitcom. Dorothy and Russell:
re: Dorothy Loudon

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

cheezedoodle
#17re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 3:20pm

Saw her in Annie and with Katherine Hepburn in The West Side Waltz. Amazing talent.

"Oh Link...your pork is ready..." - Edna Turnblad

Gothampc
#18re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 3:51pm

The woman could definitely put a song over! I have her two cds. She does a great "Ten Cents A Dance". I wish she had recorded another cd. There are so many songs that she should have sung.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

cheezedoodle
#19re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 4:01pm

Her rendition of No Time at All from Pippin just popped up on my ipod!

"Oh Link...your pork is ready..." - Edna Turnblad

Sing a Song With Me Profile Photo
Sing a Song With Me
#20re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 4:18pm

For some reason, I think she looks so much like Ellen Burstyn. Perhaps it is just me.

A small sidenote is that "Garbo Talks" is actually being written as a musical.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#21re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 4:29pm

I loved her in so many things but my most cherished memory was witnessing her rioutously funny performance in NOISES OFF.

The lady was sublime.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#22re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 5:41pm

Saw her in

The Fig Leaves Are Falling
Ballroom
Annie

If I am not mistaken, she was also in Lolita which closed out of town.

After so many flops, she finally hit the jackpot with Annie. One of a kind

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 1/26/07 at 05:41 PM

mattonstage
#23re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/26/07 at 6:07pm

Ciaron: I'm not sure about Garbo actually being in it, but I know that Betty Comden played her in the last scene in the park.

Sing a song with me: I think it would actually make a great musical. There lots of spots I can already think of for music. Oohh, now I'm excited, and who knows how long til it's a reality. Ugh.

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#24re: Dorothy Loudon
Posted: 1/27/07 at 12:36am

Even though I saw her in "Noises Off," because I never saw her in a musical, I feel like I never really saw her in a show.

I wish that someone would re-release all of those Ben Bagley Revisited CDs. She sang so many great songs on those. On one of the Rodgers and Hart albums, sings this perfect little heartbreaker called "Bye and Bye" (which the notes said was written to be played up-tempo).

And hopefully, Charlotte Rae's "Songs I Taught My Mother" will be such a smash that "they" will start looking for other similar albums to release on CD and Dorothy Loudon's "Live at the Blue Angel" will finally be available again.

Dorothy Loudon is one of those people who I don't like to think about their being dead because it makes the world seem like that much more a dismal place...

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

Videos