pixeltracker

Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?

Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?

MargoChanning
#1Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 1:54am

From Riedel:

" NO matter how many times they get out, it keeps dragging them back in.

Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane, the original - and the best - Leo and Max in "The Producers," have been asked to reprise their roles one last time before the show ends its seven-year run in June, The Post has learned.

They haven't accepted the offer yet, but production sources say the plan is for Broderick and Lane to rejoin "The Producers" at the St. James Theatre in May and send the show off with a bang on June 24.

Mel Brooks, the creator of "The Producers," is planning to open his next musical, "Young Frankenstein," at the St. James in October.

A spokesman for "The Producers" yesterday declined to comment on the offer, but said: "Nathan and Matthew have always had a standing invitation to come back to the show whenever they would like to. They're family, we love them, and the show will always be their home should they wish to come here."

Since the holidays, "The Producers" has weakened at the box office, with weekly grosses dropping from $1 million to $600,000. Tony Danza was brought in as Max to boost ticket sales during the winter doldrums, but the general sense on Broadway is that "The Producers" has run its course. Its advance stands at slightly more than $1 million, and last fall the show posted a couple of money-losing weeks.

Broderick and Lane would certainly lift the box office. Industry insiders speculate premium seats could go as high as $400, and ticket scalpers say they could get as much as $1,000 a ticket for Broderick and Lane's final hurrah.

"The sky's the limit," says one broker. "Everybody knows this is the last time you'll see these two guys in their greatest roles."

Production sources say the two actors could command huge salaries to close out the "The Producers." When they stepped back into the show three years ago, they each earned about $120,000 a week. This time, they could get as much as $175,000 a week for their six-week stint.

But will they do it?

After "The Odd Couple" - not their finest hour - Broderick and Lane decided their tag-team act needed a break, and they went off to pursue separate projects. It was rumored that their friendship was on the ropes, the result of disagreements during the run of "The Odd Couple," but they still meet regularly for drinks at Bar Centrale, and showbiz people who know them well say they've patched things up.

They're also loyal to Brooks, who, sources say, is likely to make personal appeals to both to return to "The Producers" one last time.

"It all makes perfect sense," says a production source. "It's easy money, they'll have fun, they'll get a lot of attention, and the show will go out on a real high."

Stay tuned."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01262007/entertainment/theater/the_reproducers_theater_michael_riedel.htm

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#2re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 6:29am

It wouldnt surprise me one bit. And I think it'd be a fitting way to close the run; after all, who else would you want in those roles for your closing night?

http://docandraider.com

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#2re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 7:55am

It makes perfect sense to me.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#3re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 8:01am

Dear Lord, Please dont let this happen.

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#4re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 8:04am

Funny - Reidel missed the most interesting rumor about Mel Brooks.

Maybe he's saving it for a future column...

"Christ, Bette Davis?!?!"
Updated On: 1/26/07 at 08:04 AM

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#5re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 8:09am

Interesting, Horton? Why not?

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

wickedobsessed Profile Photo
wickedobsessed
#6re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 8:38am

If they returned to this I would go see it!

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#7re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 9:43am

They have done the show twice now! Yes Twice, and by the end of the second run Nathan and Matthew were so board for most of there scences together they didnt even act, they just stood on stage having a "who can crack each other up more" contest, they werent in character. I much rather see Brad Oscar and Rodger Bart any day!

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#8re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 9:47am

But it isn't about what or whom you'd rather see, Horton. It is all about money, attendance and sending the show out with as big a bang as it opened with. And in that regard, it makes sense to bring them back.

coolkid11776
#9re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 9:54am

When will we know if they are coming back?

Rent The best show on Broadway. I was at the closing. BEST night of my Life. April 29th 1996-September 7th 2008 12 years of love "No Day But Today"

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#10re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 9:58am

I'd love for this to happen! re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers? Nathan and Matthew ARE those roles. And they love the show/each other/Broadway. It's only fitting and proper they close the show together.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

MotorTink Profile Photo
MotorTink
#11re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 10:14am

I think it'd be a great way to close the show!

BroadwayBoobs: I'll give all of you who weren't there a hint of who took the pictures ...it rhymes with shameless

SOMMS: I knew it was Tink!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#12re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 10:22am

Maybe they should throw Michael Crawford back into Phantom of the Opera, and we can bid that old warhorse goodbye as well!

(Loved it when it opened, but my God it's like the Disney robots spinning around in the Haunted Mansion now.)

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#13re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 10:34am

Funny - Reidel missed the most interesting rumor about Mel Brooks.

Maybe he's saving it for a future column...

And what rumor is that?????!!??!?!?

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

husk_charmer
#14re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 10:58am

While I am not their biggest fans, let's keep in mind a few things:
During the 1960s, if you went to the tour of "King and I" you probably saw Yul Brenner. If you went to the tour of "Hello, Dolly!" you probably saw Carol Channing. Now, both played (or at least are rumored to) 5000+ performances in the roles. If you went to see "Gypsy" in it's original run, the only person you saw was Ethel Merman. They probably got tired. They may not have been in top shape every single night. But, would you complain about seeing them? I highly doubt it. While I don't think Lane and Broderick are of the same caliber as Channing, Brenner and Merman, it is a similar scenario.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#15re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 11:23am

It makes sense, but what concerns me is that the double-insane premium prices charged for this engagement would set a new standard for other shows to stick with forever.

If they do come back, I hope Cady Huffman returns as well.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#16re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 11:42am

If it happens, it will mean a big change is on the horizon.
That's all I can say.

Updated On: 1/26/07 at 11:42 AM

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#17re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 11:47am

I am sure the pay check they get if they do it will be huge.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#18re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 11:49am

Why do people come on here and drop hints, as if they simply wanted to say "look! I know something, but you're going to have to wait!!!"

Say it, or don't. IF you're not going to say anything, then just keep it to yourself. Christ.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

MasterLcZ Profile Photo
MasterLcZ
#19re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:06pm

Now, what fun is that? re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#20re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:10pm

Well, it's really just obnoxious.

It's the second worst thing to name dropping.

This board is anonymous. If I find something out, which I have in the past, I post it. No one knows who I am. I tell people what I know, people tell me what they know. What's part of why I like BWW. But to come on here and say "OH! THAT'S there mere surprise announcement!? That's just a TRIFLE! I know something BETTER! Just WAIT!"

I mean, I really couldn't care less about THE PRODUCERS - but come on - it's so annoying.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

worrell4077
#21re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 12:47pm

It's great thinking on the part of Mel Brooks and the other producers of The Producers to try and get Lane and Broderick back to end the show seeing that it's been limping at the box office for quite some time and to get them back to end the show, would let it go out on top instead of on the bottom.

I for one was thinking about going to see The Producers on it's last show(Mel Brooks could be there and it's a hope/dream/goal of mine to meet him).

There were a couple of things that I found to be incorrect with Riedel's column. The Producers has been running for 6 years this April, not 7, and although I thought Lane was fantastic as Max when I saw the movie, I was not really impressed with Matthew. I think that Hunter Foster is a better Leo than Matthew.

Iluvbroadway Profile Photo
Iluvbroadway
#22re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 1:36pm

I recently saw the producers in Philly. It has to be one the worst shows I have ever seen in my life. I can't believe it won so many tonys. It didn't deserve to win any. Can't wait for it to close. Bring back Titanic!!!!!!!!

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#23re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 1:44pm

^ im not a hige Producers fan...but Titanic..are your serious?

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

OOTI2004 Profile Photo
OOTI2004
#24re: Lane & Broderick to Return to The Producers?
Posted: 1/26/07 at 1:56pm

I'm sorry but I highly doubt that they are the best Leo and Max, as is stated in the column. Maybe the ones the audiences want to see most, but the first time I saw The Producers I had no idea who the leads were, and they were perfection in the roles. I think Lane is a great performer but I think his Max is a little overrated