pixeltracker

In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl

In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl

Coffered Celing
#1In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 5:51pm

Hello. My wife just passed away and I'm going into the city with my eleven year old daughter who is really into theatre. Hoepfully that'll cheer her up a tad bit. She's seen Spelling Bee, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Wicked, The Drowsy Chaperone, and Brooklyn.

Many of my friends have suggested Spring Awakening, but I read somewhere that there is nudity.

Thank you.
Updated On: 1/29/07 at 05:51 PM

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#2re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 5:53pm

I'm sorry for your loss. Just to clarify are you looking for suggestions for a show to recomend to her?

Akiva

Coffered Celing
#2re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 5:55pm

Yep! Sorry for not making that clear...

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#3re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 5:59pm

I don't think you should see Spring Awakening if your goal is to cheer her up.

Hairspray?

&OneForMahler
#4re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 6:00pm

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

Maybe Mamma Mia? It always cheers me up.
Also, perhaps, A Chorus Line.

<--- me & Erin Davie =) omigod, omigod you guys...

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#5re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 6:03pm

Take her to see Hairspray. Do not take an 11 year old to Spring Awakening. The nudity isn't the only reason she shouldn't see the show. its also the subject matter.
Updated On: 1/29/07 at 06:03 PM

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#6re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 6:04pm

Any of the Disney shows?

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#7re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 6:05pm

I agree w/ Mandi and Becoz - for feel good, energizing entertainment, HAIRSPRAY can't be beat.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)
Updated On: 1/29/07 at 06:05 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#8re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 6:05pm

Definetly not Spring Awakening. While the music is really good and she may enjoy it, there are some situations that might hit a little too close to home for her and maybe even you. And, yes, there is brief nudity in the show. Not uplifting after losing someone. How about "Hairspay"? That is a fun musical.

So sorry to hear of you and your daughter's loss.

Just give the world Love.

Jellylorum Profile Photo
Jellylorum
#9re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 6:06pm

The Apple Tree
Spamalot

I also agree with the suggestions for Disney.

"It's a goddamn beautiful day, shut up!"
Updated On: 1/29/07 at 06:06 PM

JKlock Profile Photo
JKlock
#10re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 6:07pm

im extremely sorry re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
i was thinking disney as well..maybe mary poppins?

http://two-sails.blogspot.com/

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#11re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 6:08pm

I saw Chicago when I was 12 and had fun.

To The Stage!
#12re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 6:18pm

I am so sorry for your loss.

Hairspray and Mamma Mia are really fun, and upbeat shows. (I personally like Hairspray better)

Also Chicago, or Mary Poppins.

So afraid of getting older

I'm only good at being young

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#13re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 6:21pm

So sorry for your loss.

I agree with everyone else. Hairspray or anything Disney. Tarzan, despite what is sometimes said on here, is a fun show. Went recently with some friends aged 14-29 who all loved it.

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

ABoyLikeThat
#14re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 6:22pm

Sorry for your loss.

I think Hairspray is a good bet too. It's fun and upbeat and you'll likely come out of it in good spirits. Perfect for someone your daughter's age.

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#15re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 6:24pm

Please don't see Tarzan....

e Profile Photo
e
#16re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 7:04pm

Depending on when you go, maybe Pirate Queen or Curtains?

HeidiL87
#17re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 7:09pm

I'm so sorry for both you and your daughter's loss. A lot of people have suggested Hairspray and under most circumstances I would wholeheartedly agree with them. My 10 year old son and neice LOVE it. Just one word of caution... there is a pretty strong mother/daughter thing going on throughout the show and if your daughter is feeling sad about her mom this show might be difficult for her or it might be good. You know your daughter best. I lost my mom at a young age (not as young as your daughter) and I still miss her. I love the relationship between Tracy and her mom but its been awhile since my mom died and so the pain is not as fresh.

Coffered Celing
#18re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 7:22pm

I actually have thaught of taking her to Hairspray, but what you said about the whole Mother/Daughter thing is so true.

We just rented the A Chorus Line movie and she really likes that, so maybe we can see that.

Also, She says she'd like to see a Sondheim show. Would she be able to handle Company?

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#19re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 7:27pm

Awww, I'm so sorry for your lost.

Try anything Disney, also try "A Chorus Line", maybe "Hairspray" (but there is that whole Mother/Daughter relationship). I highly think "Mary Poppins" or "A Chorus Line" though. And if she's willing for "Tarzan", I'd say that too (some people don't like it, but some do, we all have opinions about shows...)

Hope that helped re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl

Becoz_i_knew_you21
#20re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 7:31pm

If she wants to see A Chorus Line then take her. She can see that way its really done instead of the movie. If she really wants to see a Sondheim shows then take her to Company.

neddyfrank2
#21re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 7:33pm

Mary Poppins

TinyDancer2 Profile Photo
TinyDancer2
#22re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 7:34pm

A Chorus Line, I would suggest.
Maybe The Apple Tree?

The Fantasticks is off-broadway, but its a really sweet story. re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl

hope this helped.

purpleprince101 Profile Photo
purpleprince101
#23re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 8:04pm

sorry. Hairspray! or Mary Poppins, maybe beauty

Mandi Moo Profile Photo
Mandi Moo
#24re: In The City with an 11 Year Old Girl
Posted: 1/29/07 at 8:09pm

There's nothing really bad in Company, but I think that most of the humor would go over her head.

Videos