pixeltracker

little kids at shows not age appropriate

little kids at shows not age appropriate

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#1little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 7:54pm

what is the right age to take a child to les miserables?...yesturday when i was at the matinne of les mis to the side of me was a child..i would say about 5/6 years old..she sat on her moms lap for the first act..her brother who was about 4 years old sat on the mom's lap also..is this appropriate?..i dont think so..they kept asking there mom what was happeneing
I'm 15 years old..i just hate when little kids go to shows that are not age approprate..shows like lion king, tarzan, beauty and poppins are appropraite for 5,6, 7 year olds..just curios what incidents other people have had

Yankeefan007
#2re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 7:56pm

If the parent purchases a ticket and is willing to have the kid see the show, no matter the material, then hey, what do you care?

If the kid's quiet through the thing, how does it effect you?

I applaud your questioning, even if my response does sound rude. Updated On: 4/8/07 at 07:56 PM

MerMaggieGalinda
#2re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 8:01pm

Well there are 5 year olds in Les Mis( I don't know if they are that young, but 9 or 10 at the most) so I wouldn't be that appalled. A 5 year old at Spring Awakening? Now that's appalling.
Updated On: 4/8/07 at 08:01 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#3re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 8:06pm

You mean appalled.

It would bother me if young kids were asking what was going on. Some children are more mature for theatre, but it would certainly bother me if they ruin my experience even if it wasn't intentionally.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#4re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 8:06pm

You mean appalled.

It would bother me if young kids were asking what was going on. Some children are more mature for theatre, but it would certainly bother me if they ruin my experience even if it wasn't intentionally.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

BDavis0092
#5re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 8:11pm

If the kids are quiet I don't care. I actually enjoy watching a show where a kid is seated in the seat in front of me. I can see over their head : )

www.youtube.com/BwayNY225

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#6re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 8:12pm

It would have to depend on their behavior. I really don't care who sees any given show, but if they distract from what's going on stage, then it bothers me.

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#7re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 8:32pm

I saw a group of girls aged 8-10 at the stage door when I saw Sweeney Todd in January 2006.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#8re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 8:45pm

There was a little girl about 3 sitting in the 4th row Orchestra for PIRATE QUEEN the other night. She stood on her seat through most of the first act and kept leaning over to her mother (I assume it was her mother.) and talking. It was VERY distracting. Then the woman put a pacifier in the girl's mouth. But it was obvious to me that ANY 3-year-old would be bored by a show like this, so in ACT II, she was loud and whiny. Finally, after about 15 minutes, the woman took the child out.

Anyone who knew ANYTHING about this show (or a show like LES MIZ) would think, "This is NOT for my three-year-old!" Frankly, I agree that if a child is well-behaved, it doesn't matter to me if he or she is there. But it's unfair to the child, the other audience members and the cast to bring someone so young to a show like this that has nothing in it intended to appeal to that age group.

By all means, bring children to the theatre from the time they are young so that they learn how to behave and to love theatre, but PLAN it in a way that will be best for EVERYONE. (My son's first show was HAIRSPRAY, and he was enchanted...and so was the rest of the audience because he gave it his undivided attention and behaved as though he'd been going to the theatre for 20 years!) And I don't care of it's a Disney show designed for children or whatever, if things still go bad, take your child OUT!!!

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars
Updated On: 4/8/07 at 08:45 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#9re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 8:46pm

I'm not sure that having children in a cast means it's age appropriate for children.

Think Pillowman, for one.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#10re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 9:03pm

Ooooh, and there's another reason I should never have kids: I possibly would find it hilarious to scar them with the works of Martin McDonagh. ^_^

I'm taking my eight year old niece to see 'Mary Poppins' in London for her birthday. I've seen the show, both her parents have seen the show, we all thought about whether it would be appropriate for her, and I specifically got seats where it would be easy to take her out if she did start showing distress or inappropriate behaviour (hell, I'm 24 and pretty scared by 'Temper Temper' so won't begrudge el niece if she does get freaked out). Tickets ain't cheap so you'd think people would check appropriateness before taking children.

As for 'Les Mis'... twelve, I reckon. A mature ten or eleven at the ABSOLUTE youngest. I wouldn't want to be saddled with explaining what was going on in 'Lovely Ladies' to anyone younger, but at the same time it is arguably Boublil and Schoenberg's greatest work and I know how sad I am that I came to it so late in my life. 23 is a really depressing age to discover 'Les Mis'. re: little kids at shows not age appropriate

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#11re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 9:04pm

It really all depends on the child. I would absolutely NOT take my 6 year old brother to see Les Miserables. He'd be bored out of his mind, and want to leave. I took him to see Tarzan, and he was enchanted by it. I think whoever is bringing the child should know that child well enough to know if they will behave, and if the show is approriate for them.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

#12re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 9:09pm

I was at Mary Poppins next to a family with 3 children. The youngest boy (about 5) was next to his father (I was on the other side of the dad) and I have to say the kid was very well behaved. Well, they all were. The only time he talked was when someone or something would fly. He would waste no time in looking at his dad and whispering, "Look Dad, there's the rope." It was cute. And I'm going to say that there wasn't a family in that theater I would rather be sitting next to. These people knew how to raise children.

misschung
#13re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 9:18pm

the the original poster - are you more concerned about the child's behavior, or whether or not the content of a particular show is appropriate for a child?

I agree with everyone on here about children being distracting during shows. If a child can sit still and doesnt bother anyone, that's fine.

About the content - sometimes I wonder. The woman that I work for is a director with two kids - ages six and nine. She directed "Cabaret" this fall and took them to opening night. I was suprised at first that she thought it was appropriate for a six year old - but then again, some of the innuendoes might just go over a child that age's head.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#14re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 9:21pm

I believe the only thing my brother said to me during the show was "WHOA, THAT WAS COOL!"

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#15re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 9:21pm

child's behavior....i don't think age matters though..maturity level of the kid does..i mean don't take a 2 year old to Wicked but use your judgement with broadway b/c people pay alot for their tix
and btw someone at TKTS was asking if her 3year old son could get into beauty and the beast..what??..what are some people thinking

istillbelieve24601 Profile Photo
istillbelieve24601
#16re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 10:16pm

Cannot understand why anyone would think Les Mis would be appropriate for anyone under the age of twelve, especially someone who doesn't know the story/music beforehand. My seats were surrounded by families when I went. I didn't really care, but the 10-year old boy in front of me's light up watch got a little distracting.

The problem with parents dragging their kids to see a show like Les Mis (which, if you're not into that sort of thing, can be confusing and boring) is that the kids develop a lifelong grudge against musicals.

People try to make it a family outing, but it's not...

Cosette: Roses are red. Marius: Violets are blue. Eponine: You're so in love! Marius: And so not with you.

sweeneynut Profile Photo
sweeneynut
#17re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 10:53pm

*random, unrelated question* istillbelieve, where is your signature from? Because it just made my night. re: little kids at shows not age appropriate

"My muffin top is all that/whole grain and low-fat/I know you want a piece of that/But I just wanna dance!"

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#18re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 11:11pm

There was a rather cute little boy, about 4 years old, at Minnesota Opera's production of Lakme on Thursday. He was very quiet and polite throughout the Opera and seemed to enjoy it. Because it was sung in French, I suspect he didn't have a clue what was going on, but it was so beautifully produced and done like a Fairy Tale, that I think he enjoyed the visuals.

If a parent is going to bring a child to the Opera at that age, great, an Opera Lover for life! Theatre, too. However, if the child's going to distract the audience, then no. There are plays for children and plays where the parents need to get a babysitter.

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

MaronaDavies
#19re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 11:25pm

I also agree that it really depends on the particular show and the particular child. Some elementary school-age kids might adore Les Miserables. Some of it will go over their heads, but they'll pick up on other things, and perhaps have some good questions for their parents after the show.

The only thing I really care about with kids at shows is, as others have said, their behavior. Parents out there, please...if your child cannot sit still and be quiet for two and a half hours, I don't care if they're 4 or 14, LEAVE THEM HOME. I don't care if your child's there, but I do care if they're being a nuisance to me or the other audience members or cast.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people just don't do any research before they buy tickets. And consequently, their kids end up sitting through shows that either bore them to tears, scare them or are just wildly wrong for them.
Updated On: 4/8/07 at 11:25 PM

Chrysanthemum62001
#20re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/8/07 at 11:35pm

I think it's good to expose kids to theatre, but prep em before the show. I felt bad last year when a family came to see Sweeney Todd. They sat in the front row and the little boy (around seven) snuggled up under his chair because he was afraid. THEN they took the kid to the stage door. Michael was sweet and told the family, "I thought it was a coat until I saw you talking to it!" I felt so bad for the child, but he behaved very well in spite of everything.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#21re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/9/07 at 12:19am

I can't believe they're letting 15 year olds see Les Mis now! What is the world coming to?

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#22re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/9/07 at 12:22am

it wouldn't bother me unless they were being disruptive and annoying. if they are quiet and behaving, then i have no issue.
sometimes i see young kids behaving better than some full grown adults in the theatre.

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#23re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/9/07 at 12:25am

Dramaqueen2...Here! Here!

"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#24re: little kids at shows not age appropriate
Posted: 4/9/07 at 12:27am

Oh, Chrysanthemum, I feel bad for that kid. I can't imagine being taken to Sweeney Todd at such a young age. It's nice to hear that he was well-behaved.

As others have said on this thread, I don't care if a child is taken to theatre as long as they are not disruptive.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Videos