Shows You Regret Seeing

jlm96um Profile Photo
jlm96um
#75re: Shows You Regret Seeing
Posted: 5/7/07 at 9:58am

The recent revival of Threepenny Opera is the only show I've ever seriously considered leaving early. Judging by the considerably thinner crowd for act 2, I don't think I was alone in that thought. I didn't even think seriously about leaving Miss Saigon, and I thought I would never dislike any show so much.

Gingerbread houses along golden, frothy canals. Like Venice... only different?

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#76re: Shows You Regret Seeing
Posted: 5/7/07 at 10:19am

I do not regret seeing it, but I definitely regret choosing to see THE FANTASTICKS over ALTAR BOYZ. I do regret having the opportunity to see TICK, TICK...BOOM! and opting not to see it, as now it is one of my favorite shows and scores. I regret spending money on THE PRODUCERS with Tony Danza, but it was hysterical (edit, hysterical how bad it was), and I spent $36.25 on the balcony seats and saw seats open in the third row orchestra and moved up at intermission. So that made me feel a little bit more as if I was a part of a show instead of having to squint and fearing that the balcony was going to come plummeting down into the audience.

Man, I am still kicking myself over TICK, TICK...BOOM! Damn.
Updated On: 5/7/07 at 10:19 AM

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#77re: Shows You Regret Seeing
Posted: 5/7/07 at 10:47pm

I rarely regret seeing shows- generally I regret NOT seeing something. However, I do regret making less than great choices for my trips to NYC since I can only pick so many shows. The two shows I regret wasting my time on:

Avenue Q
Grey Gardens

Not to say they were horrible - both had their own strengths, but I didn't have that "I've fallen in love with this show" feeling. There are very few NY selections I've been disappointed in - I even really loved Brooklyn. However, these two shows are NY regrets!

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#78re: Shows You Regret Seeing
Posted: 5/8/07 at 12:21am

I don't get to New York often, so the only show that I actually regret seeing isn't because it was bad (though it was not all that good), but because there were so many more interesting things that I could have seen.

It was 1985-86 and my sister and I were in NY for the weekend. We didn't have any tickets for Sunday. We could have gone to see "Into the Light" or "Wind in the Willows" or Debbie Allen in "Sweet Charity."

Do we see any of those? No! She had no interest in seeing a Flop Musical and did not like Debbie Allen. So we end up seeing a truly lackluster revival of "Arsenic and Old Lace" with Jean Stapleton, Polly Holliday, Abe Vigoda, Tony Roberts and William Hickney, who was the only performer whose performance had any verve. It was an annoying verve, but, still it was there...

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

misschung
#79re: Shows You Regret Seeing
Posted: 5/8/07 at 12:40am

that was a great post

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#80re: Shows You Regret Seeing
Posted: 5/8/07 at 12:43am

Spamalot for the second time.

broadwayjim42
#81re: Shows You Regret Seeing
Posted: 5/8/07 at 8:14am

La Cage Aux Folles (the original 80's production)

The Lion King (everything after "Circle of Life")

The Producers (I can admire the craftsmanship, but the whole thing left me cold)

MimiJudith Profile Photo
MimiJudith
#82re: Shows You Regret Seeing
Posted: 5/8/07 at 8:42am

I wish I'd seen "Legs Diamond," although it might have been a bad show. It would have been nice to see Peter Allen.

Other than "The Little Dog Laughed" being a horrible show, I would like to add in "Phantom of the Opera" and "Rent." Sorry to all of you who like those shows. I just didn't enjoy them. And I thought that "Zorba" was a snoozer (but I was a child so I might not have been able to appreciate it at that young age, Anthony Quinn and all.)

Oh, and I hate to say it but I disliked "The Full Monty" immensly. Sorry to David Yazbek, who is a genius.

broadwayjim42
#83re: Shows You Regret Seeing
Posted: 5/8/07 at 1:29pm

Oops, forgot "Phantom." Bored me to tears, although not as much as "Lion King."

Cages or Wings
#84re: Shows You Regret Seeing
Posted: 5/8/07 at 1:42pm

Honestly I am shocked that [title of show] is listed on here. How is that possible? The show was nothing but likable. It was hysterical and ridiculous, yet somehow retained heart. It's rare that something whose humor is deconstructive can be so touching. (Drowsy and Gutenberg are great, but [tos] could make you feel, and though Drowsy does a bit, I don't think it does it as well as [tos])

All that said you have the right to feel the way you do, but it just surprised me.

postergirl
#85oops
Posted: 5/8/07 at 2:30pm

Updated On: 5/8/07 at 02:30 PM

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#86oops
Posted: 5/8/07 at 2:58pm

I don't think I can say that I have ever "regretted" seeing a show -- especially not a Broadway or other professional show.

Although I found Thou Shalt Not to be abyssmal, I am glad that I was able to see it. I can now use it as a reference point when rating or discussing other shows.

I have seen many amateur shows at high schools and community theatres that I wish I hadn't had to sit through -- but mainly these were shows that a friend or family member was in so I was obligated to go.

The only regrets that I can think of are the few times when I have paid full price to see a show, only for a discount code to come available a few days later. I regret not waiting a few more days to buy my seats!

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#87oops
Posted: 5/8/07 at 3:04pm

CATS-Now and Forver. You know you hate a show when you start looking at the theatre's architecture during the songs.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

FosterChild Profile Photo
FosterChild
#88oops
Posted: 5/8/07 at 3:17pm

Phantom - SNOOZE
Wedding Singer - Just left wondering why? It was what it was - but why did I stay?

CompletlyNakedStatue Profile Photo
CompletlyNakedStatue
#89blah
Posted: 5/8/07 at 3:39pm

The Producers and Naked Boys Singing. hated both.

istillbelieve24601 Profile Photo
istillbelieve24601
#90blah
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:04pm

Wedding Singer was mildly entertaining while I was in the theatre, but I felt like I got nothing out of it. Usually from shows you can gain something to take home besides a cast recording- a new thought on life, a pretty tune you carry with you, something that really amuses you. The Wedding Singer was like having a conversation with some of the girls at my school- funny at the time but later a complete waste.

Cosette: Roses are red. Marius: Violets are blue. Eponine: You're so in love! Marius: And so not with you.

TheHumanTorch Profile Photo
TheHumanTorch
#91blah
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:07pm

i guess i would regret seeing Mamma Mia a second time, but the tickets were free so it was just wasted time, not a big deal...

#92blah
Posted: 5/8/07 at 5:49pm

Mamma Mia!
The Wedding Singer

and the champion - Annie Get Your Gun with Bernadette Peters

mrslovett7
#93blah
Posted: 5/8/07 at 6:15pm

2 words: Mama Mia

~H* "I slept through the nominations, as I always do. Anything I need to know, I'll find out when I get up at a reasonable hour!" -Michael Cerveris

mrslovett7
#94blah
Posted: 5/8/07 at 6:15pm

2 words: Mama Mia

~H* "I slept through the nominations, as I always do. Anything I need to know, I'll find out when I get up at a reasonable hour!" -Michael Cerveris

Zeitoujo
#95blah
Posted: 5/8/07 at 6:50pm

jersey boys
the producers
phantom
all shook up

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

broadwaynut20
#96blah
Posted: 5/8/07 at 7:30pm

The Light in the Piazza

Prisoner 24601 Profile Photo
Prisoner 24601
#97blah
Posted: 5/8/07 at 7:41pm

Regretted seeing Lion King in London, because I was only there a short time and could have seen it on tour in the States for a lot cheaper.

Also, The Pirate Queen in Chicago. ugh.

-Was that a fart?
-My fault, I fear.

i.heart.link Profile Photo
i.heart.link
#98blah
Posted: 5/8/07 at 8:56pm

definitely phantom! it was awful!

Dollypop
#99blah
Posted: 5/8/07 at 9:26pm

ROCKABYE HAMLET

CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF (with Ashley Judd)

THOU SHALT NOT

TITANIC

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S

GOOD NEWS (with Alice Faye)

KING LEAR (with Raul Julia)

MY FAIR LADY (Richard Chamberlain)

MOLLY

IN MY LIFE

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Videos