pixeltracker

John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!

John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#1John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:23pm

Oh, no! Didn't he promise he'd STOP after Company?!?

===

Doyle Merrily Brings Sondheim Company to UK???
Date: 7th June 2007

[whatsonstage Gossip] If on Sunday John Doyle wins the Tony Award for Best Direction of a Musical for a second year in a row, it should increase the West End transfer potential of Company, the Stephen Sondheim classic for which he’s nominated this time around (See News, 15 May 2007). Last year, he scooped the prize for his revival of Sondheim’s Sweeney Todd, which landed on Broadway via Newbury’s Watermill Theatre and the West End. His Company revival – also up for Best Revival of a Musical and Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical for American Raul Esparza - originated on Broadway but employs the same small-scale, actor-musician technique that has become Doyle’s trademark. It’s also produced there by Brits at the Ambassador Theatre Group who, as West End theatre owners as well as producers, are clearly well placed to make things happen for a transatlantic trip.

Meanwhile, back at the Watermill, where Doyle perfected that trademark actor-musician technique over many years and many productions, the director is due to return in spring 2008 to tackle yet another Sondheim classic in a similar way - Merrily We Roll Along, the maestro’s famously backward-moving 1981 musical.

Doyle Merrily Brings Sondheim Company to UK???

Updated On: 6/11/07 at 02:23 PM

mortgageguy79 Profile Photo
mortgageguy79
#2re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:28pm

OH NO!!! Mr. Doyle...please....just....stop

Jack: For your information, most people who meet me do not know that I am gay. Will: Jack, blind and deaf people know you're gay. Dead people know you're gay. Jack: Grace, when you first met me, did you know I was gay? Grace: My dog knew.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#2re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:31pm

They should just revive Michael Grandage's 2001 Donmar production of MERRILY... THAT was brilliant.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#3re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:32pm

Can you people look past your "oh crap, not more instruments!" reactions for a second, and remember that Doyle actually does really good work? Try not blinding yourselves. :P

I saw 'Company' in NY, and would love a West End transfer. I'm a little doubtful it'll happen (I woke up this morning convinced they'll be posting their closing notice by the end of the week), but I can pray, right? ^_^

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#5re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:34pm

Yawn! Can't he do anything but Sondheim? Borrrinnnnggggg!

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#6re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:36pm

BLAIR: George. Chromolume Number Seven? I was hoping it would be a series of three, four at the most. I have touted your work from the beginning, you were really on to something with these light machines...once. Now they're just becoming more and more about less and less. Don't get me wrong. You're a talented guy. If you weren't, I wouldn't waste our time with my opinions. I think you're capable of far more. Not that you couldn't succeed by doing Chromolume after Chromolume...but there are new discoveries to be made, George.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#7re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:39pm

That thread said nothing about his inflicting instruments on another Sondheim musical.

Weez--TELL HIM TO STOP!!!!!!!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#8re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:40pm

Please just let the performers perform the material. PLEASE.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#9re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:42pm

I would love to see Doyle direct Merrily on Broadway, but would prefer if it was done without the instruments.

#10re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!

I keep hoping he'll bring his "Everyone plays an instrument" vision to the one show it works on: The Music Man.

Kringas
#11re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!

As much as I'd like this to not happen, Merrily with actor-musicians might net it a successful run, simply on the strength of the Doyle brand.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

gustof777 Profile Photo
gustof777
#12re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:43pm

ok wtf this isn't even going to be on Broadway so why are your panties in a twist??

RIP Natasha Richardson. ~You were a light on this earth ~

vmlinnie
#13re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:44pm

I gather from your username that you're a fan, kringas.

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#14re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:45pm

Srsly, the show will not automatically suck because the actors are playing instruments! I remember the 'Sweeney' lovin'. I saw 'Company'. Behind those clarinets and violins and tubas (possibly rhe sexiest musical instrument on God's green earth), Doyle is doing some excellent directing of amazing cast members and turning out phenomenal shows. Sure, using the gimmick hurts him when it comes to people who are apparently too short-sighted to look past it (*koffTonynominatingpeoplesahem*), but LEARN TO LOOK PAST IT! Yikes, no one gets so uppity at "oh NO, not ANOTHER show where the actors sing and dance!"...

PalJoey: sure, next time I see him, I'll let him know. :P

Updated On: 6/11/07 at 02:45 PM

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#15re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:46pm

Am I in the minority in thinking that this could be really brilliant?

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#17re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:52pm

"LEARN TO LOOK PAST IT!"

Um...no.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#18re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:53pm

One time... brilliant with "Sweeney Todd"... the sight of Miss Patti and her tuba (priceless).
Second time... uh..okay... kind of pushing it... but with Raul Esparza...who wouldn't want to look at those puppy dog eyes...
Third time.... hold on buckaroo....John Doyle...you're pushing it gf...Whether it's on Broadway or across the pond in merry ole England... let the actors do what they do best... and let the audience listen to the magic of an authentic orchestra. STOP!

from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#19re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:54pm

He's doing a non actor-musician thing next season with A Catered Affair, so I'm not going to criticize him. Besides, I like his work and I like Merrily.

WOSQ
#20re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:08pm

I am in the minority about Mr. Doyle it seems. Sweeney was an idea that went wrong. It removed all the terror from a penny dreadful.

Company to me is flat-out bad direction. Raul Esparza is a multi-talented man, but he is shown to no advantage in Company. It isn't the actor. It is what the actor was told to do.

Robert, who needs to be charming with many other positive attributes, is conceived and played as a depressive, self-hating alcoholic and I find his epiphany of Being Alive merely a little jolt before he takes the next drink.

No one has yet to tell me why Robert in this production is the best friend of these 5 couples. What do these 10 people see in him? I think Robert has to be desired by all the women and all the men want to be him. Who wants to be a moody drunk? This question is Theatre 101.

I think Raul didn't 'lose' the Tony. I think John Doyle lost the Tony for him.

John Doyle looks like a one trick pony and the trick doesn't work.

But like I say, I am in the minority.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#21re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:16pm

Even more so than the instruments, I never again want to see a production where the actors walk around in robotic patterns, never looking at each other or interacting.

Who ever said THAT was a good enough idea to do over and over and over and over?

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#22re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:18pm

Doyle's way of direction is not a style, it's a novelty device, and it's done now.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

WOSQ
#23re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:22pm

The emperor is naked.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#24re: John Doyle to Do the Instrument Thing AGAIN--This Time to MERRILY!
Posted: 6/11/07 at 3:28pm

If he has them walk around in MERRILY in robotic patterns, will he have them walk backwards?

Videos