pixeltracker

Maggie Gyllenhaal in "South Pacific"?

Maggie Gyllenhaal in "South Pacific"?

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#1Maggie Gyllenhaal in "South Pacific"?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 5:36pm

I'm surprised this isn't posted already, unless I'm blind and/or the search feature isn't working. But there was a little blurb in the Daily News this morning (sorry, I don't have a link) reporting this rumor.

TapTapTapioca
#2re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 5:40pm

I think she would be great in it acting wise. I don't know if she can sing...

I shave me Xanadu every morning!

MungoGypsy8232
#2re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 5:42pm

What ever happened to Scarlett?

dididda Profile Photo
dididda
#3re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?

see the film happy endings. oh yes, she can sing. i quite enjoy this idea. i like it alot more than scarlett j. however, my top choice remains kelli

""the gays love their presents. just wave something shiny in front of their faces, you can get whatever you want. Thats how we got manhattan from the gay indians" -Karen (W&G)"

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#4re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?

It also said she had turned down something, and for the life of me, I can't remember what. That'll teach me to have wine with lunch. But I'm thinking it was "Pygmalion."

(eta: and that SJ had turned down the same part) Updated On: 6/14/07 at 05:42 PM

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#5re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 5:43pm

That's a very interesting, fresh idea for the role, and I'll bet she'd be terrific. Yes, she can sing.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

MungoGypsy8232
#6re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 5:48pm

I still say bring back Toni Collette!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#7re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 6:02pm

She's the right age, she has a great emotive voice, and she can actually ACT. I'm all for it.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#8re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 6:30pm

I think Scarlett Johanssen frequently wants to do theatre but is frequently put off by the MASSIVE pay cut it would entail. Which suits me just dandy, because I have an irrational hatred of the woman. :3

keen on kean Profile Photo
keen on kean
#9re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 6:31pm

Shame about "Pygmalion" if that part of the rumor is true. I can see Maggie G. playing Eliza to the hilt.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#10re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 6:47pm

OK, Toni Collette is one of my favorite actresses but I think she's completely wrong for this part. She would be more fitting in the CABARET revival or even the GUYS & DOLLS revival if Krakowski can't commit to it.
Kelli O'Hara would be a major bore as Nellie.
I like the Gyllenhaal idea as well as most of the other actresses that have been rumored (the true rumors not the Victoria Clark ones).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

worrell4077
#11re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 9:32pm

I don't know how long she's filming, but she's currently playing Rachel in The Dark Knight, but if she was going to be in it, she would probably be done before then.

FallintoLight Profile Photo
FallintoLight
#12re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 9:43pm

I still think Erin Dilly should be Nellie! She was GREAT on the tour!

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#13re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 9:56pm

Gyllenhaal would be a fantastic Nellie.

And I'm not talking about Maggie...

But, seriously, she'd rock the house. Imagine her doing "A Wonderful Guy" or "Honey Bun"!

Heybeenfood Profile Photo
Heybeenfood
#14re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/14/07 at 10:07pm

How about Erin Davie?

MungoGypsy8232
#15re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/15/07 at 12:01am

ray-andallthatjazz86, Toni as Sally Bowles would rock!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#16re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/15/07 at 12:50am

Kelli is still in the mix.
But I would rather see a fresher face.

C is for Company
#17re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/15/07 at 12:52am

Filming for Dark Knight might be over by the time this production rolls around, I hope she can grab this opportunity.

And as for Toni, wow she'd need to get her butt back onstage and play Sally Bowles.

Updated On: 6/15/07 at 12:52 AM

TheActr97J Profile Photo
TheActr97J
#18re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/15/07 at 1:49am

We could have TWO Gyllenhaal's on Broadway at the same time!

"I seem to have wandered into the BRAIN load-out thread... "
-best12bars

"Sorry I am a Theatre major not a English Major"
-skibumb5290

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#19re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/15/07 at 2:40am

what's a :3

C is for Company
#20re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/15/07 at 2:44am

A buttface. Two eyes over an ass.

Hah, I'm joking, but that is seriously what I think when I see that.

Updated On: 6/15/07 at 02:44 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#21re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/15/07 at 2:46am

Toni would be a brilliant Sally Bowles indeed re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'? Though I think the idea came from someone on the CABARET revival thread and it became my new obsession (along with Krakowski as Miss Adelaide in GUYS & DOLLS).
I would love for Erin Davie to play Nellie but it sounds like they are looking for stars, and unfortunately, Davie is not a name yet but I trust that with her immense talents she is not too far from getting there. Maybe she can understudy the role though.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Yankeefan007
#22re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/15/07 at 7:47am

It's not much of a blind item.

"Both Anne Hathaway and Maggie Gyllenhaal have passed on the lead role of Broadway-bound 'Pygmalion,' we hear, but we may see the gamine Gyllenhaal onstage yet, as Nellie Forbush in 'South Pacific.'"

avab802 Profile Photo
avab802
#23re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/15/07 at 9:14am

I think Scarlett Johanssen frequently wants to do theatre but is frequently put off by the MASSIVE pay cut it would entail.

Doesn't she know you don't do theater for the money? When you are a film actor, you make a foray into theater for the prestige. To show people that you are a "real" actor. Silly movie star.

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#24re: Maggie Gyllenhaal in 'South Pacific'?
Posted: 6/15/07 at 10:34am

Oh, thanks, YF. That's the blurb I was referencing.

And that's right, it wasn't Scarlett Johanssen but Anne Hathaway that also turned down "Pygmalion." I get all these young actresses who are rumored to be in every damn Broadway-bound production mixed up.

Videos