Jersey Boys best U/S's

Sarah8 Profile Photo
Sarah8
#1Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 4:37am

Hey guys I saw JB's twice when I was in NY and LOVED it!! I saw Matthew Scott as Valli and Gaudio and Dominic Nolfi as Gaudio. I thought they were both BRILLIANT and wondered if anyone else had similar stories concerning u/s's? I couldn't believe these guys were making their Broadway debuts!! Having said all this I saw JLY as Valli the second time and thought he was beyond awesome! Loving me Christian Hoff also!!

Sarah. C.

...5678 Profile Photo
#2re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 8:19am

I saw Matthew Scott as Frankie and I was FLOORED! He was absolutely phenomenal! THEN I found out after the show that it was his first night doing the track. I was beyond impressed. I hear he does a fantastic Gaudio and Tommy as well. I find this show extremely well cast. Usually I am sick to my stomach when I find out someone is out...but with this show I'm never concerned.

re: Jersey Boys best U/S's

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#2re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 9:47am

I saw Michael Longoria as Frankie, and I thought he resembled the real Frankie Valli even more closely than John Lloyd Young. I also saw Dominic Nolfi as Bob, and he was great as well.

FosseForever3 Profile Photo
FosseForever3
#3re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 11:31am

I also saw Michael Longoria as Frankie and he was beyond excellent! His voice...he made it seem so effortless.

"Now she wants to know WHY, if I'm so fabulous, I would WANT to take care of her child.....I answer with as much filigree and insouciance as I can muster, trying to slightly cock my head like Snow White listening to the animals. She, in turn, is aiming for more of a Diane-Sawyer-pose, looking for answers which will confirm that I am not there to steal her husband, jewelry, friends, or child. In that order." The Nanny Diaries

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#4re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 11:40am

Micheal Longoria is fantastic.
I loved him as Frankie.
His voice is, Oh my god, it's not even describeable in words.
He's not technially an U/S is he?
I thought he was Alternate/Standby?

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#5re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 11:55am

I saw Matthew as Tommy a little less than a year ago, and he was FANTASTIC. It was only his first or second time on, and you never would have known. He's so talented and had the role completely down. My mom, who I went with, couldn't figure out who the understudy was for the first twenty minutes.

He was absolutely phenomenal.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#6re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 12:33pm

Isn't Michael Longoria technically the alternate, not an understudy?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#7re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 12:51pm

"Isn't Michael Longoria technically the alternate, not an understudy? "

That was my thought, exactly, Lizzie.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

jochang621 Profile Photo
jochang621
#8re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 1:00pm

For the Matthew Scott fans - there's a cool interview with him here:
JB Newsletter

worrell4077
#9re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 1:50pm

I've seen Michael Longoria go on twice as Frankie and loved him both times. I've seen Dominic go on as Tommy twice and loved him both times as well. I saw Donnie Kehr go on as Bob Crewe and thought he was great and I also saw John Leone go on as Nick Massi and thought he was alright.

The only time I really didn't like the understudy was when Matthew Scott when on for Michael Longoria as Pesci. I really didn't like him, it looked like the costume was two small and he was like hunching over to look smaller.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#10re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 2:02pm

I thought they were both BRILLIANT and wondered if anyone else had similar stories concerning u/s's?

I guess I'll actually answer the question... re: Jersey Boys best U/S's Love love love Steven Goldsmith as Frankie. Jennifer Evans is great in the Lorraine track, too.

If swings count, John Hickman and Douglas Crawford were both HYSTERICAL as Hank/Mika.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

mll85
#11re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 2:07pm

I've never seen the Broadway production but I'm going to chime in on the tour's understudies.

Eric Gutman as Tommy. Hilarious. He's a great comedic actor.

And I have to second Lizzie about Steven Goldsmith. He's does a fantastic Frankie.

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#12re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 2:37pm

All the understudies in JB are really wonderful. I am dying to see an understudy for Christian.

The only understudies I think could use a littttle more work would be Donnie Kehr as Crewe, Matt Scott as Pesci, and Dominic Nolfi as Bob. Donnie's Crewe doesn't seem as...I want to say flamboyant as Peter's or John Leone's do. As for Matt Scott, I HATE that he hunches over when he plays Pesci. It makes him seem retarded. And with Dominic, he has an absolutely amazing voice (possibly my favorite in the cast), but he's just too cool for Gaudio, who's supposed to be this really dorky guy. He seems comfortable from the get-go, which is what doesn't work.

But, yes, Michael's an alternate. The only roles he plays when not on as Frankie are the sound engineer and Joey. The rest of the small roles are played by Travis Cloer, who becomes Joey at the matinees.

ragdoll4390 Profile Photo
ragdoll4390
#13re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 3:02pm

I saw Dominic go on for Tommy DeVito his very first time last August,and he was wonderful.Matt Scott was on as Bob Gaudio when I saw it in April and I loved him in the role. I've also seen Heather Ferguson go on for Lorraine twice,and she was wonderful.

choose to be happy:0)-Grey Gardens

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#14re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 3:10pm

I saw Dominic Nolfi go on as Frankie early in the run (Michael hadn't even been rehearsed for the role yet) and he was absolutely horrible. His voice cracked throughout the entire show and it was a huge disappointment.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#15re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 3:32pm

What stupid cat would sit on a cake?

When does the contracts expire for the OBC Jersey Boys OBC (JLY, Hoff, Reichard, Spencer) and what is the best time to catch them perform together onstage?

MikeMagbaleta Profile Photo
MikeMagbaleta
#16re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 3:33pm

My best Jersey Boys U/S's and Alternates are:

Frankie Valli OBC - (Alt) Michael Longoria
Frankie Valli 1st Nat'l Tour - (Alt.) Jarrod Spector
Frankie Valli 2nd Nat'l Tour - (Alt.) John Michael Dias
Frankie Valli 2nd Nat'l Tour - (U/S) Steven M. Goldsmith

All JB shows I've watched at the Virginia/August Wilson and Curran Theatres never had substitutions for other cast members.

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#17re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 5:08pm

antonijan, all of their contracts expire in early November. Any show would be good to catch them all - they've all taken their vacations already.

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#18re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 7:52pm

Thanks for the info...I will try to see them in October.

mll85
#19re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/1/07 at 8:53pm

I saw Heather Ferguson play the Lorraine track in SF. They flew her in because Sandra DeNise had to take a temporary leave for personal reasons. I enjoyed her acting, didn't really enjoy her as the lead Angel though.

obsessedjb Profile Photo
obsessedjb
#20re: Jersey Boys best U/S's
Posted: 8/2/07 at 1:20am

Travis Cloer is an incredible Frankie as is Michael Longoria. Travis makes the singing seem so natural. I really hope he records a CD some day. I also really enjoyed Colin Donnell as Nick and Matt Scott as Bob Gaudio.
Updated On: 8/7/07 at 01:20 AM

Videos