sarah brightman

alxscrz2 Profile Photo
alxscrz2
#1sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 3:00am

Why is it that so many people don't like the way sarah brightman sings and don't like her as an actress ? I think she is a good singer. I have never seen her act in a show though.

#2re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 3:12am

I think she's fantastic - I love her eclectic mix of classical and modern. Anyone who can mix arias with techno ("A Question of Honor") and make it work has my vote. She's definitely more of a singer/vocalist/performer than a musical theatre actress though. I'd be interested to hear from people who saw her as Rose in Aspects of Love, which is a role that needs to have more *oomph* to it than I can imagine from her.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#2re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 3:24am

No one has ever seen her act in a show.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

musical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
#3re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 4:19am

I also like Sarah, she is still my favorite Christine.

BroadwayBenny Profile Photo
BroadwayBenny
#4re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 6:22am

You won't find any complaints about her from me. I fell in love with her voice on the OLC of PHANTOM. I do agree though that she is better suited for her current style though than musical theatre.

EganFan2
#5re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 7:40am

I don't like her voice NOW, but I loved it when she was Christine.

MerMaggieGalinda
#6re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 10:50am

I'm the exact opposite. I HATED her voice as Christine(and many of the clips I've seen of her she looks like a terrible actress, much worse than Emmy I mean what is with her eyes?) but I don't mind her voice too much now. Her vibrato isn't as crazy as it used to be.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#7re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 10:54am

No one has ever seen her act in a show.

This.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#8re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 11:10am

Hey, it's Sarah Brightman, not "sarah brightman" come on, you have to pay a little more respect to her, she is a goddess, definitly not just a human being. =) I love her so.

re: sarah brightman

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#9re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 11:19am

I saw her live on the "Eden" tour. While her voice was incredible, the show looked pretty cheap. Especially the Phantom section with the fake "candelabras". The candels were a bit askew. And the dancers she had were awful. Total solid gold rejects. It really took away from her talent. But I saw her recently in that concert that The Princes did for Diana and I was shocked to hear how she sounded. That ring in her voice seems to be gone. I only own 2 of her CD's and really only for specific songs.

Just give the world Love.

muscle23ftl
#10re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 11:21am

What CD's do you own?

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

peterjoshua Profile Photo
peterjoshua
#11re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 11:22am

Personally, I agree with EganFan2 -- loved her as Christine. But in the years since Phantom she's become a caricature of herself. I can't even imagine how someone would sit thru an entire evening of her schticky, overblown, Enya music. But most of all, I just want to know why it is that she sings EVERY vowel sound with her mouth in an O shape. It just really doesn't work that way.

muscle23ftl
#12re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 11:31am

Im going to ignore the bad things said about her, and post some pictures of hers in Aspects of Love, she played a diva in it. So I guess she wasn't really acting that much.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#13re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 1:37pm

Sarah is fantastic in my book. She sings beautifully and cares enough about her live audiences to create a spectacle for them. Her HAREM tour was unbelievable and I have no idea how she will top it.

I love her eclectic song choices and if you ever take the time to listen to her talk about her work, she is very knowledgable about music in general and classical composers and tries to honor them while at the same time expressing her creativity. She is very intelligent and uniquely herself.

I think she can't be beat.

P.S. Critics and audiences were cruel when she was in Phantom referring to her as a raccoon and commenting on her teeth. She left theatre and re-invented herself as a compelling solo artist. Oh, and after seeing her in the flesh in the revealing HAREM costumes, the woman is a knockout from head to toe. RACOON-no more!!!!

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
Updated On: 8/10/07 at 01:37 PM

chinto1984
#14re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 5:51pm

The way Sarah Brightman chooses to perform,now, is awful. She tries to show off her voice by singing songs in odd keys that make her sound off and she looks like a fairy from Midsumer. It is sad because she can sing.

She started her training kind of late but she had talent. She was just green. Lloyd Weber saw that back in the early eighties and created Christine for her. You can hear how green her voice is in the OLC recording. But if you watch or hear her in the 1990's, she is awesome. Her voice is full, has this brightnes and prettiness that is amazing and appealing.

I've heard mixed things as an actress about her. It seems that acting is not her strongest but she can pull roles off. I agree with the caraciture comment by PeterJoshua. Sarah is a very special lady.

Dibbledl01
#15re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 6:05pm

I never really fell in love with her, yet never really disliked her either. I enjoyed her as Christine but I would never say she is or ever will be the finest Christine the world has heard. I personally enjoy most of her "Harem" album because I think she is the only person who can pull that off.

Her voice annoys the living hell out of me sometimes though. Sometimes when I listen to her I think for a second she's drowning. It's as if she's caught in the middle. She's not and should never attempt to become a true opera performer yet she has too much of this interesting operatic quality to become a pure pop or even musical theater performer. An interesting mix that, for me, is sometimes great to hear or completely annoying.

I agree with whoever brought this up before. I was shocked and really disturbed to hear her perform at the Concert for Diana series. She should really just STOP and bask in the glory of what she has done. Her part was really difficult to sit through. Josh Groban was the only thing keeping me from turning off the tv at that point.

muscle23ftl
#16re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 6:36pm

I found her brilliant at the Diana concert, she is acting with every note she sings. She took the time to take pauses to make the song more efficient. Also she keeps her voice in great shape.
I love Harem, Fly, Time To Say Goodbye, The Andrew Lloyd Webber Collection, La Luna, Dive, Diva, Love Changes Everything, she's a delight, she is unafraid to be herself. I can't wait for her next CD and hope for her to return to Broadway someday.

sievep
#17re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 11:37pm

I've never seen her in a proper musical, but I've seen her in concert 5 times now. Her style has certainly changed . . .I personally thinks she's amazing and her Harem tour was unbelieveable in it's ingenuity.

She seems to scoop a lot for her high notes now, and I don't think it sits well in her voice. I know she can hit the notes, I wish she'd give a cleaner presentation rather than scooping. If she's billing herself as the best selling soprano of all time, she's set a high bar for herself, and she'll need to bring it on.

SporkGoddess
#18re: sarah brightman
Posted: 8/10/07 at 11:44pm

Her diction, oh God, her diction!

And, yes, she slides a lot of her notes. Did in Phantom, too.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Videos