Avenue Q Tour

chad2 Profile Photo
chad2
#1Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/3/07 at 10:31pm

Seeing the show in Minneapolis. Anyone catch the tour the past couple of weeks?

delucad15 Profile Photo
delucad15
#2re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/4/07 at 9:31pm

yes

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#2re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/4/07 at 9:34pm

The guy playing Christmas Eve's husband was the weakest link in the show.

He look so bored, like he didn't want to be there. He just sort of, stood around like, "Well, this is me, here I am. And this is all your gonna get."

But other than that, it was a great show.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#3re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/4/07 at 11:46pm

are they doing rush tickets?

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

friedrichVT
#4re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 12:53am

Isn't that what the role of Brian is? He shouldn't be out there crazy, or outrageously funny because he is an unemployed, not very good comedian. Sorta loserish...

complaintdept. Profile Photo
complaintdept.
#5re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 11:38am

I saw this in KC a few weeks back. Outstanding. I also saw with Barrett and Steph in NY, and this cast is equally as impressive (I don't agree with previous assessment of Brian). The sound at the Music Hall in KC made parts difficult to hear, I hope it's better in Minn. Enjoy!

What's that I smell in the air? The American dream.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#6re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 11:45am

I'm a little wary of the tour. The theater on Broadway (didn't see the off-Broadway run) seemed just about as big as you should go for a show like that.

And now I see the tour is playing places like Chicago's Cadillac Palace! Over 2500 seats! Seems like it'll get lost in places like that.

The PRIMO theater for Ave Q in Chicago would be the Briar St. Theater, but Blue Man Group has been hogging it for more than a decade... re: Avenue Q Tour

Fiyero13
#7re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 12:03pm

I really enjoyed it, the two strong people were Kate Monster and gary coleman, Princeton was kinda weak but I've never seen it on bway so i have nothing to compare it to

Eos Profile Photo
Eos
#8re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 3:57pm

jpbran-
It'll be at the Fox when it comes to St. Louis - just over 4300 seats...oy!

The Overture is part of the show, people. Please shut your pie hole.

gymdudeva
#9re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 6:09pm

If it's the same one that is now in DC....both friends and reviewers say it is excellent (and some of them saw it on Broadway too). Here in DC, it is playing at the National Theater, which is medium-sized.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#10re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 7:01pm

Looking so forward to the tour coming to St. Louis! I saw it on Broadway and loved it!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#11re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 7:16pm

It's playing Whitney Hall here in Louisville and that's got 2406 seats. Not quite as bad as some other places but it still seems too big for the show.

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

deadparrot
#12re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 7:20pm

I'll be seeing it in St. Louis, too. Add me to those with concerns about the Fox eating this thing up. That place is huge.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#13re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 7:23pm

Woo hoo St. Louis!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

TWSFan4Ever Profile Photo
TWSFan4Ever
#14re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 8:21pm

I saw the tour recently when it was in Pittsburgh and loved it!

My Strongest Suit Profile Photo
My Strongest Suit
#15re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 8:43pm

saw it in san francsico and thought it was great. the theatre didn't seem too big for the show.

LET OTHERS RISE TO TAKE OUR PLACE UNTIL THE EARTH IS FREE!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#16re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 9:11pm

I don't really care for the show, but the cast was excellent when I saw it in SF.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#17re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 9:31pm

I agree with jpbran. The Caddilac is huge and I'm not sure how it will do. I'm seeing it on my b-day so we shall see.

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#18re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 9:31pm

I agree with jpbran. The Caddilac is huge and I'm not sure how it will do. I'm seeing it on my b-day so we shall see.

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

mauriposa
#19re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 9:55pm

SpellingBeeFan, when is your birthday? I'm seeing it for my birthday too, since the Chicago leg of the tour kicks off on mine.

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#20re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/5/07 at 10:06pm

thejcm--Actually the Louisville stop is playing The Palace, which is not as barn-like as the Whitney Hall, but still much larger than The Golden Theatre where the show plays on Broadway. I will probably check out the tour, but I'm so glad I saw the show in its small environs in NYC.
Updated On: 12/5/07 at 10:06 PM

BADDCOMPLEX Profile Photo
BADDCOMPLEX
#21re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/6/07 at 3:02pm

I took some friends to see Ave. Q here in Houston.

I also thought that the guy playing Christmas Eve's husband sucked. The rest of the cast was great. The sound system wasn't all that great but you could still hear pretty well. My friends enjoyed it so that’s all that matters.

Also I don't think the uptight Houston people were ready for Ave. Q because during intermission a lot of people got up and left and didn't come back.

Fiyero13
#22re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/6/07 at 3:37pm

a lot of people didn't even wait for that, some left during 'u can be as loud....'

mortega31686
#23re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/8/07 at 1:29am

I saw it in Washington D.C. on Tuesday night and gotta say that the tour cast is AWESOME!!! Oh and to anyone that was wondering about Rush Tickets...they were still doing them in D.C. (20 tix for $25 each). Please don't ask for details though because I actually purchased a regularly priced seat. They said Rush was in the Orchestra but thats all the info they gave me. To anyone who is gonna see the tour soon, you are in for a treat. I've seen the broadway production many times and the tour is just as good if not better!
-Mike

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#24re: Avenue Q Tour
Posted: 12/12/07 at 12:38pm

I just saw it last night in Baltimore. It was so much fun. We were in the upper balcony but we had a very nice time. The theater in Baltimore is very beautiful.
Baltimorians seem to have a demented humor (I think it is the John Waters thing) so they got a lot of the jokes.
I have to say that there were some amazing cast members.
Robert McClure (Princeton, Rod) was really great -- He was better as Rod then as Princeton but he was very very good.
Cole Porter (Brian) was pretty funny... I think his "Not wearing underwear today" was weak but he was good fodder for the amazingly talented (and super skinny) Jennie Kwan who played Christmas Eve. She had some of the best lines and when she broke into this full throaty belt for "The More You Ruv Someone" people where really suprised and thrilled to see her go into this whole showy bit.
There was another actress names Minglie Chen who was Mrs. T and one of the bad news bears and she was so funny with her voice.. every time she would say someone the audience would giggle and crack up.
Gary Coleman was good too (Carla Renata)-- She said she played Killer Queen in We Will Rock You in Las Vegas and were sad that she actually got overpowered by the sound when she did Loud As The Hell You Want.... Her voice was sexy and deep.
The best was Kelli Sawyer as Kate/Lucy. When she would play the two and had to do both voices at the same time, she did such a great job. Also... Her version of Fine Fine Line rivals the original.
Other then that, we had a great amazing time and the show is hysterical. I did give 3 bucks when they sang "Give Us Your Money bit" and was wondering what they do with the money... I hope it goes to a good cause.....
And there were some FABULOUS BITS that I will not mention since I do not want to ruin the suprises for people who have not seen the show but let's just say.... My Purpose will never be the same!

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."