pixeltracker

Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009

Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009

commasplice
#1Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 1:07am

Performances set to begin March 25, 2009 at the Cadillac Palace Theatre. More dates/cities to be announced.

More info (though not much else) at either of the below links Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=23497

https://www.playbill.com/news/article/113285.html

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#2re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 1:11am

Congrats, MARY P!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

lite2shine Profile Photo
lite2shine
#2re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 1:19am

I'm so excited. I hope it'll come to SF :)

Mouses Magic
emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#4re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 2:38am

Wow...2009 is far away.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

AKDPerformer Profile Photo
AKDPerformer
#5re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 3:01am

YAY!!!!! :)

MP represent!

"We need people not to come to Broadway shows wearing shorts and flip-flops. We are working hard up here folks. Find a pair of socks."-Joanna Gleason "I hear L. Ron Hubbard is gonna blow the ladies...and all that jazz! C'mon babe! We're gonna unicorn hug, I bought some NyQuil down....at Wal-Mart?!"-Bebe Neuwirth singing ATJ to Musical Mad Libs at DQYNJ :)

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#6re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 7:32am

lets hope they dont scale it down too much, that house set is amazing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#7re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 9:33am

One thing the New York Times says is "In addition, all the New York principals, including Ashley Brown in the title role and Gavin Lee as Bert the chimney sweep, have signed on for another 12 months, something of a rarity these days. 'They love doing it,' Schumacher said."

I didn't see that mentioned anywhere else. Good for them!

New York Times

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#8re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 10:15am

Why in 2009? That's too far away! Xanadu is going to La Jolla next fall and Spring Awakening starts it's tour then. Weird how Blonde and Curtains haven't announced tours. Hopefully they all make it to L.A.!

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Fosse76
#9re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 10:32am

At first I thought Thomas Schumacher finally realized that Chicago is one of the most important theater markets and then I remembered that Cameron Macintosh is also a producer and he probably insisted it open in Chicago.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#10re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 10:33am

If BLONDE announces a tour now, it will lose all chances of recouping the Broadway production. Those producers know that whether they announce a tour now or if they wait until 2012, there will always be an audience out in Nowheresville for the show.

CURTAINS just signed on DHP through August 2008. He is *the* selling point for that show. Let THEM recoup and hold onto DHP as long as they can before they even think about a tour. They don't exactly have a "wave" that they need to ride by a certain point in time. They can put this unknown, unheard of, no-name show on the road at any time, and it will do so-so. Their best bet is to get people in that Broadway house to see that production with its well-known Tony winning recognizable TV star right now.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

NY_Broadway2 Profile Photo
NY_Broadway2
#11re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 11:20am

BLONDE is doing a tour in 2009. In Dallas, they already announced that we would be getting that then and the tour of CURTAINS as well. Just thought I would let you know.

If you hide from yourself, be someone else for someone else's sake, that would be the greatest mistake - bare

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#12re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 11:24am

The LEGALLY BLONDE Tour also has booked dates at the Ruth Eckerd Hall in Tampa, Florida.

ThankstoPhantom
#13re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 3:25pm

From the Times article listed above:
'We've rebuilt the house,' Mackintosh said. 'It works in a very different way. It still opens up to be more or less what you've seen (on Broadway), but how it does that is different.'

No surprise here. This tour is going to be awesome. How exciting that such a big show has recouped! (I am sure Disney was very eager to reveal this information, given the Tarzan tragedy)

Congratulations!

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Jilani
#14re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 3:33pm

*Spoiler*

Will it be feasible to have Mary Poppins fly out over the audience at the end in a touring production?

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#15re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 4:00pm

I really hope Tiffany Haas gets the MP role. I remember hearing rumors about her reading for it.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#16re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 4:05pm

Wow, such a huge show recouped in almost exactly a year! That's really great. I'm sure it will also do Boston, LA, Dallas, etc...

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

Junior
#17re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 4:12pm

Anyone know what the initial investment was for Broadway? Did I miss that somewhere? Things like that just interest me. Congrats on recouping!

HBBrock
#18re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 4:15pm

Congrats to Mary Poppins - saw it in January of 07 and LOVED IT. It's an excellent show that I highly recommend.
Updated On: 12/5/07 at 04:15 PM

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#19re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 5:25pm

Anyone know what the initial investment was for Broadway? Did I miss that somewhere? Things like that just interest me. Congrats on recouping!

From New York Times (Link above): "Although Disney doesn't reveal the cost of its shows, most large Broadway musicals today cost between $12 million-$15 million and 'Mary Poppins,' with its big cast, lavish sets and period costumes, is larger than most."

mauriposa
#20re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 5:27pm

Yay, Chicago! Although, I might not still live here in 2009. Figures.

Toddlin2
#21re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 5:28pm

The Chi engagement is seen as a long run sit-down before launching on tour. It could run at the Palace 9 months or more, meaning the rest of the country won't be seeing it until sometime in 2010.

Fosse76
#22re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 5:35pm

"The Chi engagement is seen as a long run sit-down before launching on tour. It could run at the Palace 9 months or more, meaning the rest of the country won't be seeing it until sometime in 2010."

Now I am CONVINCED that Macintosh is the reason the tour will launch in Chicago. Schumacher, for some inexplicable reason, doesn't see Chicago as a big theatre town. He mocked the producers of Wicked for wanting a sit-down, and that was AFTER it celebrated its first anniversary!

Junior
#23re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 5:38pm

thanks steve! Guess I just missed that...

AKDPerformer Profile Photo
AKDPerformer
#24re: Mary Poppins Recoups, Launches Tour in Chicago in 2009
Posted: 12/5/07 at 6:29pm

"One thing the New York Times says is "In addition, all the New York principals, including Ashley Brown in the title role and Gavin Lee as Bert the chimney sweep, have signed on for another 12 months, something of a rarity these days. 'They love doing it,' Schumacher said."

YES!!!! Now when I eventually get back to work there sometime next year i'll be able to re-familiarize and revel in the delicious talent that is Gavin Lee :)

"We need people not to come to Broadway shows wearing shorts and flip-flops. We are working hard up here folks. Find a pair of socks."-Joanna Gleason "I hear L. Ron Hubbard is gonna blow the ladies...and all that jazz! C'mon babe! We're gonna unicorn hug, I bought some NyQuil down....at Wal-Mart?!"-Bebe Neuwirth singing ATJ to Musical Mad Libs at DQYNJ :)