Whistle Down the Wind Tour...

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#1Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 1/15/08 at 2:30pm

Has anyone seen it? Is it worth it?

I'm considering seeing it in Philly in Feb.!

And also, anyone know if it has any attempts to re-try Broadway?

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#2re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 1/15/08 at 2:35pm

I saw it in Sacramento, and not knowing anything about it before seeing it, I enjoyed it. Andrea Ross was fantastic.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#2re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:05pm

Thanks! I think I will see it.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#3re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:08pm

Well- I am seeing this show in Boston. (per special request by a friend of mine who does not post here anymore but still reads the BWW)

J*

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#4re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:27pm

If Eric Kunze is still in it, I'll see it when it comes to SF in April.

SakeDad Profile Photo
SakeDad
#5re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 1/15/08 at 7:14pm

The latest review, in Detroit, gave it 4 out of 4 stars! Here's the link.
WDTW Detroit Review

"God, I hope it's not a REAL emergency...I only brought one bottle of Vodka!" That's my Diva Dog, Sake in the picture.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#6re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 1/16/08 at 1:09am

I have to send TOM PANZENHAGEN an e-mail. If he thinks WDTW is a good musical the people of Detroit are in a lot of trouble.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

musical_devotee Profile Photo
musical_devotee
#7re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 1/16/08 at 1:44am

I haven't seen the show on stage, but the cast recording is great, I love the score. It would be interesting to see how it works on stage.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#8re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 1/16/08 at 11:48am

There are quite a few changes to the song line-up since the OCR was made.

The title song is beautiful, but gets reprised to death. "No Matter What" is really the only other standout number.

Hree are links to a few of the local reviews:

Richard Ouzounian:

http://www.thestar.com/article/290978

John Colbourne

http://www.torontosun.com/Entertainment/Columnists/Coulbourn_John/2008/01/05/4753909.html

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#9re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 1/16/08 at 11:50am

I see it in Detroit on the Jan 26th. I will let you know.

Anastasia_Beaverhausen Profile Photo
Anastasia_Beaverhausen
#10re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 1/16/08 at 12:00pm

It's a horribly bad show in my opinion. I saw it in Sacramento and hadn't felt that uncomfortable in my seat since Lestat. It really was awful. The book is terrible, the choreography is laughable, songs are random and have nothing to do with what is happening most of the time, and the weird/random characters that do nothing are just too much.

I felt bad for the entire company. They are working really hard, but it is just NOT a good show and there is no way it will go to Broadway. If it does, it will fail miserably.

There is, however, some really good music in it and Eric Kunze and Andrea Ross were fantastic!

Sacramento Review Updated On: 1/16/08 at 12:00 PM

tourboi
#11re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 1/16/08 at 3:27pm

Huh. I saw the show in Sacramento as well, on opening night, and really enjoyed myself. It has its sluggish moments, and requires a big suspension of belief, but much of the score was good, and the cast was top notch. I'll see it again in SF.

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#12re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 1/16/08 at 4:13pm

I saw it twice and Detroit and thouroughly enjoyed it. I even brought some folks who thought they wouldn't like it and they actually bought tickets to see it again.

I think the show is incredibly beautiful and that it really relies heavily on what you as a audience member bring to the show.

The music was fantastic and so was the singing. I was at the show the same night as TOM PANZENHAGEN and was very satisfied. It truly was a remarkable show. Should it go to broadway? Probably not, but it still was a remarkable experience and a show that everyone really should see.

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#13re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 3/3/08 at 10:06pm

I really wish this tour had been more well recieved. I have the original London cast recording and the soundboard from the Palace, which honestly sounds good enough to be released commerdcially with some minor edits. I like a lot of the changes and the new song is really great. The music is awesome. I do think the show still needs some work, but I think the basic structure is there. I don't understand why it hasn't worked in the US.
Updated On: 3/3/08 at 10:06 PM

jochang621 Profile Photo
jochang621
#14re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 3/3/08 at 10:36pm

I have to agree with the people who didn't like it. I saw it in Sacramento. There was no proper character development - it had some great songs, but you didn't care enough about the characters to really feel their pain ("Tire Tracks and Broken Hearts"), and it feels like one Southern cliche/stereotype after another, a British man's view of the South, I suppose. Also, the Phantom-like ascending/descending arpeggios in the musical interludes (juxtaposed jarringly to Southern twanging) was EXTREMELY distracting, as if it was to remind you that the guy who did Phantom was also doing this show. Choreography was also horrendously simple; it reminded me of an aerobics class.

The talent was really good though, although they had no material to work with. Andrea Ross was amazing, and Eric Kunze was great as well.

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#15re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 3/5/08 at 4:56pm

I thought this tour was closing soon. Isn't it?

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#16re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 3/5/08 at 5:04pm

It already did.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/115155.html

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

maggiwun2 Profile Photo
maggiwun2
#17re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 3/8/08 at 7:14am

We saw the show in Detroit and are glad we did. The shortcomings of the storyline were completely overshadowed by the performance of Eric Kunze. It was our first time seeing him and both I and my husband were amazed at his stage presence and vocal ability. So much so, actually, that I started a fansite for him. If you want more info on Eric, you can view it at: www.erickunze.com. We are currently waiting on latest news of his newest projects, which should be coming any day now.

Parks
#18re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 3/8/08 at 11:15am

I work at a theater in Dallas where the tour was supposed to come through... somebody should tell them this news, because apparently they have NO idea.
Whistle Down the Wind is STILL coming to Dallas, apparently!

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

NY_Broadway2 Profile Photo
NY_Broadway2
#19re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 3/8/08 at 11:28am

Yeah I live in the Dallas area and I don't understand why we are still getting the tour. They closed it but they are going to re-open it just for the Dallas run? It makes no sense.

If you hide from yourself, be someone else for someone else's sake, that would be the greatest mistake - bare

Parks
#20re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 3/8/08 at 11:35am

I wonder what the policy is for season ticket holders... do they get some kind of refund? Will a new show be brought in?

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

NY_Broadway2 Profile Photo
NY_Broadway2
#21re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 3/8/08 at 4:56pm

That's what I was wondering. I think they are actually somehow going to do the show still even though it's been cancelled. Surely by now they would have sent out a notice saying that they were doing another show or giving a refund. And it's only a month and a half away from starting so they need to figure something out.

If you hide from yourself, be someone else for someone else's sake, that would be the greatest mistake - bare

SakeDad Profile Photo
SakeDad
#22re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 3/9/08 at 12:05am

I know Dallas wanted to get the sets when the tour closed but couldn't make it happen. They had Equity auditions posted and they never happened and none of the touring cast or crew was ever approached about doing Dallas. Considering all the sets, costumes and props have been shipped back to the UK and none of the cast or crew have been hired for Dallas it certainly WILL be interesting to see what happens. Have you boys tried calling the box office and seeing what they have to say about it?

"God, I hope it's not a REAL emergency...I only brought one bottle of Vodka!" That's my Diva Dog, Sake in the picture.

Harmondo21
#23re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 3/11/08 at 11:45pm

DSM: Whistle Down The Wind
by Andrew Lloyd Webber

We have great news! When DSM was notified that the national touring production of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND had been cancelled by the London producers, we immediately went to work to find the ideal show to replace those dates. The tour was scheduled to come to the Music Hall at Fair Park
April 29-May 11, and we are very excited to be able to bring RAIN – The Beatles Experience, a wonderful, upbeat, family-style show, to fill those dates.

We know you will agree that RAIN – The Beatles Experience, is great entertainment that can be enjoyed by everyone in the family, and a wonderful addition to our 2008 season.

RAIN – The Beatles Experience (April 29-May 11) covers the Fab Four from their very first Ed Sullivan Show appearance through the Abbey Road album, through the psychedelic late 60s and their long-haired hippie, hard-rocking rooftop days. RAIN is a multi-media, multi-dimensional experience...a fusion of historical footage and hilarious television commercials from the 1960s lights up video screens and live cameras zoom in for close-ups. The musical boasts a repertoire of nearly 200 Beatlemaniac favorites, ranging from such beloved songs as “Yesterday” and “Hey Jude” to classic hits including “Revolution” and “Come Together.” The concert now features surround sound giving audiences the ultimate Beatles sound experience! To view our new show page for RAIN – The Beatles Experience, click here or on this icon:

EVIE Profile Photo
EVIE
#24re: Whistle Down the Wind Tour...
Posted: 4/28/08 at 7:26pm

I am very excited that I may be able to catch Eric Kunze in Evita (according to his fansite).