ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: vibrato in theatre
Posted: 1/16/08 at 1:35am

What a bitch.

bwaylvsong
#2re: vibrato in theatre
Posted: 1/16/08 at 1:36am

That disgusts me. Guess who's not listening to the Cranberries (not that I've ever even heard of them)...

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#3re: vibrato in theatre
Posted: 1/16/08 at 1:38am

Singing straight tone is very unhealthy for the the voice. A real, healthy vibrato is proof of the proper amount of tension in the larynx and vocal chords. There's nothing "disgusting" about it.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#4re: vibrato in theatre
Posted: 1/16/08 at 1:38am

Here's the thing: It's a matter of interpretation. Nowhere in that interview (aside from the word 'theatrical') does she downplay "musical theatre" in any way, shape or form. I do fee, wholeheartedly, that she came off like a complete and utter tart. She could've carried herself better. "DISGUSTING!?" Hardly. It depends on if and when a vocalist KNOWS how to use it to his/her advantage (and, of course) the proper ways and means of the technique. Just my two cents. re: vibrato in theatre

LadyRosecoe
#5re: vibrato in theatre
Posted: 1/16/08 at 1:52am

I love Zombie!

ColumbiaMT Profile Photo
ColumbiaMT
#6re: vibrato in theatre
Posted: 1/16/08 at 1:53am

Yeah, I guess its just a matter of taste. I, personally, like both vibrato and straight tone in a voice. Vibrato is just the beautification of a tone and makes it more pleasing to the listener. Same goes with any musical instrument really. Its just a "to each his own" I guess. Some singers love it - some hate it.

AngActing Profile Photo
AngActing
#7re: vibrato in theatre
Posted: 1/16/08 at 1:57am

Actually vibrato, if one supports, can be removed. It doesn't hurt the voice if you're doing it correctly. Vibrato that comes naturally from emotional moments in songs is healthy and can be very, very moving. Nevertheless, there are times you want a clear, strong tone, too.

Vibrato, if you have it all the time, is lack of support, usually. One should be able to have control of their voice . . . to be able to belt when needed, be able to sing legit when needed or a natural mix and to feel the emotion of a song to emote with or without vibrato.

Love and Stage Lights, Angela Theresa

ohjustjake
#8re: vibrato in theatre
Posted: 1/16/08 at 10:19am

I was actually told that vibrato is signs of correct breath support, not lack of.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#9re: vibrato in theatre
Posted: 1/16/08 at 10:31am

She's a douchebag...the voice is an instrument. Does she find violins using vibrato "disgusting"?

idiot.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

SporkGoddess
#10re: vibrato in theatre
Posted: 1/16/08 at 11:37am

Funny that she should say that, because Broadway is actually rather anti-vibrato. Plus, you straight tone and then add the vibrato: in opera, you could never do that and get away with it.

Oh... and yes, vibrato is the product of good technique, not the opposite.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#11re: vibrato in theatre
Posted: 1/16/08 at 11:59am

A lot of people just associate vibrato with theatre. A friend of mine posted a cover of a pop song she sang on YouTube, and people commented it was "too Broadway, eww", because she had vibrato.

It doesn't matter anyways - the Cranberries' singing is just breathy speak. She really has no idea what she's talking about.

papalovesmambo Profile Photo
papalovesmambo
#12vibrator in the theatre
Posted: 1/16/08 at 1:28pm

i think that vibrators have no place in the theatre.

r.i.p. marco, my guardian angel.

...global warming can manifest itself as heat, cool, precipitation, storms, drought, wind, or any other phenomenon, much like a shapeshifter. -- jim geraghty

pray to st. jude

i'm a sonic reducer

he was the gimmicky sort

fenchurch=mejusthavingfun=magwildwood=mmousefan=bkcollector=bradmajors=somethingtotalkabout: the fenchurch mpd collective

roquat
#13vibrator in the theatre
Posted: 1/16/08 at 1:32pm

This is similar to the time Madonna's manager actually told an interviewer he wasn't hiring a music director for her last tour because "someone pointing at band members and telling them what to play gives you a Broadway, session-musician sound, and to me that's just boring." Not surprisingly, it was her LAST tour--and it sounded like a hot mess.

I ask in all honesty/What would life be?/Without a song and a dance, what are we?/So I say "Thank you for the music/For giving it to me."

Mattbrain
#14vibrator in the theatre
Posted: 1/16/08 at 1:50pm

Actually, I'm working with my music teacher on how to produce a vibrato without my jaw shaking.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

lusciouslace Profile Photo
lusciouslace
#15vibrator in the theatre
Posted: 1/16/08 at 2:12pm

You have to remember that she didn't specify Broadway. She just said it sounds theatrical to her. She is a pop/folk singer. Too much vibrato does sound weird in that format. She's untrained and is just saying that she likes the sound of a natural, untrained voice. I don't think she was trying to personally offend anybody when she says it's disgusting, she was just stating what sounds pleasant to her ear.

And for the people talking about the healthy techniques of singing...again, don't forget that we're talking about pop music. Look at most of the artists on our radio today. I would say the majority of them aren't classically trained and don't sing in the most healthy ways. And...they don't care. They just want to get the sound that they are looking for. What that does to their voice down the road...well...that's not their concern at the moment. Even Steven Tyler from Aerosmith. That dude does all kinds of crazy stuff with his voice and he did pay the price with nodes. He even let a news show follow him through his surgery and stuff. But he's back to singing like that (granted to be fair to him, he is in some training now, to learn how to achieve that sound without killing his voice). But you're almost comparing apples and oranges when you try to compare trained theatre singers to pop stars.

I'm not saying one is wrong or one is right...I'm just saying.

Videos